Please sign in to post.

Afternoon Tea

Hi there.
I'm hoping to find a moderately priced afternoon tea. A few years ago I went to the afternoon tea at Fortnum and Mason and LOVED it. I'd like to go to a different spot for tea during my trip to London this summer. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks.
Julie

Posted by
7360 posts

I’m glad you liked (Loved) Fortnum & Mason. That was a real treat a few years ago, and is still what I think of as THE place for afternoon tea. They do have a lower priced Tea on a different floor from the posher version, if you wanted to stick with them.

I know that there have been many posts on this Forum about people’s recommendations for Tea in and around London. Do a search here on Rick’s Website, and you can view several.

Posted by
873 posts

Brown Hotel….loved it and was such a treat!

Posted by
6318 posts
Posted by
2304 posts

hey hey julie713
don't know what moderately price means to you, but prices have gone up everywhere as you know. here's a few options for you to research
afternoonteaonline.co.uk
click your city and read up on the places they mention
b-bakery.com
click bus tours, riding atop the red double decker bus sightseeing around central london while enjoy your tea experience
click bridget's bakery and enjoy yourselves at her bakery in covent garden
virginexperiencedays.co.uk
click experiences, afternoon tea for two. also check the discount code
wowcher.co.uk
click london, click more+, afternoon teas
there are some 2 for 1 specials, scroll down to see what is offered, register with email
enjoy this adventure, we did a few years back.
aloha

Posted by
322 posts

Just a note, I actually tried to book the Wallace collection tea earlier today. It ends March 1, 2024.

Posted by
377 posts

I second the Wolseley. My husband and I had tea there last summer and really enjoyed it.

Posted by
5753 posts

it says on the blurb that the Wallace Collection afternoon tea ends on 1 March, but when you go into bookings they are open until well into May. It is listed as 'Experiences' but click each listed time for details and it then says that the 'Experience' is Afternoon Tea.

Posted by
322 posts

Well, maybe I did something wrong because when I went into bookings for the Wallace collection., it ended on March 1. I could not book it in April which is when I wanted it.

And I don’t even see anything in the link that has anything to do with experiences? Thanks for the assistance but apparently this is my technical scales😂

Posted by
377 posts

Carol--If you use the link in Mary's post, it will take you to a page that lists the various type of food available. Scroll down to Afternoon Tea, and click on Make a Reservation. That will take you to Open Table UK where you should be able to book tea in April. I tried April 25 at 1 p.m. and was offered 5 different times for "Experiences" on that date. Good Luck!

Posted by
277 posts

We were in London in October and really enjoyed our afternoon tea at Kensington Palace. Wonderful service, the food was very good, and you can't beat the surroundings!

Posted by
3391 posts

The Wolseley is my favorite place for afternoon tea. Their prices are fair and the place is stunning! Quite a few Londoners I know go there with friends or colleagues. It's a very nice place. Right next door to the Ritz (and about 25% of the price) and Green Park tube station.

Posted by
7360 posts

I’m in London right now, and yesterday ran across a mother and daughter from Yorkshire, spending two days on a special trip to London. They were going to the “Peter Pan Tea” at the Shard (London’s tallest skyscraper) in the afternoon, to celebrate Mom’s 60th birthday. I don’t know anything more about it, or if it’s moderately priced, but I’d not heard of it before, and it was a destination tea for a couple English ladies.

Posted by
1006 posts

All London afternoon tea is basically touristy. People only do it for a special occasion, like a 60th birthday. It’s not something we do routinely. The mum and daughter from Yorkshire will have picked it with as much prior knowledge as anyone on this forum. It sounds fancy, it’s expensive, it’s probably got good reviews, so they’re giving it a go.

Posted by
280 posts

Here’s another vote for The Wolseley. It was wonderful and didn’t disappoint. Very reasonable in comparison to other teas we looked into. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and will return when we go back to London.
We did make reservations online since we also went in the summer. It was very busy, and I am glad we planned ahead.

Posted by
593 posts

Another vote for Brown Hotel. I liked the atmosphere of their drawing room and I recall the tea and food were delicious.

If you like a restaurant atmosphere, afternoon tea at Brasserie Max in the Covent Garden Hotel was also delicious.