Please sign in to post.

Sim Card

When I get a new phone, would it be of any use to keep my Galaxy S7? Could it be used in Europe if I put a new sim card in it when I arrived? Or does it have to have active service with a carrier? I have used it in Europe with the verizon plan, but I am just thinking of a more economical way. As you can see, I am not tech savy!

Posted by
14995 posts

I haven't used Verizon in years......but check to see if the phone is GSM compatible. Verizon uses CDMA. If it is GSM compatible then all you need is a SIM.

Posted by
7548 posts

Depending on your current carrier, verify that the phone is unlocked, or have them unlock it, then yes, you can get a SIM in Europe and it should work fine.

Posted by
211 posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. It is unlocked, and in "about phone" setting it is listed as IMEI. I think that it means that it is GSM.

Posted by
6375 posts

IMEI is the phone's identity number, and you should keep a note of it in case it gets stolen.

The Galaxy S7 is GSM compatible, as well as 3G and 4G so no need to worry as long as it is unlocked.

Posted by
11294 posts

Right now, you can make sure it's unlocked and will work with a non-Verizon SIM card.

Just find a friend who has a provider other than Verizon, and put their SIM card in the Galaxy S7. If it boots up and works, and it now have your friend's phone number as its number, it will work with a European SIM card. If it does not boot up but indicates that you need a "SIM PIN 2" or that you have to input a code to get it to work, it's locked to Verizon.

Even if you can't get it to work with another SIM card, it should still work on WiFi. That's how I use my old Galaxy S5, as a spare device (sort of like an Android version of the iPod Touch).

Posted by
211 posts

Joe32F. Yes, that is my phone, and I see that it lists GSM.

Posted by
1430 posts

The best is to sign up for Google Fi service. Then you can traverse Europe without changing Sims.

Posted by
4603 posts

I prefer using my older phone in Europe so that if I drop/lose it, I've still got my far more valuable new phone - which I wouldn't like to have to try to replace during an international trip. (That is trouble enough when I'm home.) The "new phone" serves as an expensive backup device, which I guard 2nd only perhaps to my passport.

Posted by
199 posts

@barkinpark
You beat me to it. We use google fi all over europe, works perfectly.

Posted by
22 posts

@barkinpark
I am looking at the Google Fi for a 30 day trip in Poland, Sweden, Germany and CR. I don't want to do away with my local service. Have you used the eSim with Google Fi and kept your old number? Do you know much about it? It looks cheaper than messing with local or international sims and much easier. I like they have no contracts so you can cancel at any time.
Janet