I used a Vodafone UK SIM on my recent trip to Germany, Poland and Czech Republic. (It should work in any EU country, due to EU roaming requirements.) I activated the SIM, added credit and purchased a Vodafone UK "BIG VALUE BUNDLE" while I was in the US.
I couldn't have done this without forum assistance - especially Andrew H - so I am posting the info about how I set up the SIM and what I learned.
I chose Vodafone UK based on info that Andrew H had shared about his use of a Dutch Vodafone SIM. I decided I would rather deal with the PayPal payment (see below) than the Dutch website, though Andrew H will attest that can be easily managed.
- I used the Vodafone UK SIM in an "old" Android phone and kept my US SIM in my "new" Android phone, which was in airplane mode 100% of the time.
- I liked having 2 phones for battery life since I used the UK SIM for walking directions, which chewed up battery quickly.
I bought the Vodafone UK SIM on eBay for $4 (incl shipping) with no credit:
Update Dec 8, 2019: this specific vendor is no longer selling the SIM, but there are similar ones offered on both eBay and Amazon, with and without pre-loaded credit.
- I received the SIM via USPS 4 days later in original packaging inside a plain envelope
- The (UK) phone number for the SIM was printed on the sticker on the back of the SIM packaging, so I knew it in advance
ACTIVATE SIM WHILE IN THE US
I activated the SIM per these steps:
I added the Vodafone Pay As You Go network to my phone:
I chose a network for the SIM to use in the US:
- I chose Verizon, but it makes little difference. Vodafone sent a FreeText once I connected.
I changed the phone settings to "allow" data roaming (steps vary by model of phone)