Please sign in to post.

Esim

Has anyone had experience using an Esim with a new iPhone in Italy, or anywhere else? I just discovered this potential option and know very little about it.

Posted by
7 posts

Esim is a cool thing, just the only downsize is that only the latest phone models support it.

Posted by
170 posts

Thanks for the responses. I read the previous thread. It was instructive. The process seems difficult, requiring a lot of time and effort. I was wondering whether it could be done more easily at a smart phone shop in Italy when we get there.

Posted by
752 posts

Hi lacombej1,
As a participant in that thread, the main issue we resolved in the thread was to be sure your US carrier is using the eSIM. That way you can buy and install a local physical SIM card easily in Italy. eSIMs are not as available in the “pay as you go” plans most travelers buy overseas.

When you buy your iPhone, insist that your US carrier use the eSIM.

Posted by
170 posts

Thanks again Barbara. Verizon is our carrier and I am almost sure they use eSIM. I'll call them.

Posted by
170 posts

I just talked with Verizon about the eSIM. The agent told me that the system does not work with international SIM cards. He indicated that we have to use Verizon's international plan. Has anyone actually used an international SIM card with a Verizon iPhone?

Posted by
4590 posts

(I have used a Vodafone UK SIM in my Verizon phone, but it's Android and not eSim. Worked beautifully.)

The agent told me that the system does not work with international SIM cards. He indicated that we have to use Verizon's international plan.

That seems counter to Verizon's eSIM FAQ which states that one of the benefits of having a dual SIM with an eSIM is "Being able to have a data plan on a foreign carrier while traveling abroad without swapping SIMs."

I interpret that as using a physical SIM from a foreign carrier while traveling abroad, but perhaps not?

Posted by
752 posts

It sounds like you are having the same experience with Verizon that the other Forum member had on the thread I shared. And here is how she resolved it:

call Verizon tech support and tell them that you need to move your existing number to an e-sim to free up a physical sim for a travel sim card. Tell them that you want to keep your existing Verizon number safe and are afraid to loose a nano card in Europe:))). I had to talk to a tier 2 tech support person in order to do it. You will be asked for an e-sim number on your phone ( he'll direct you how to access it ) and then he'll email your a QR code to scan with your phone. It is simple but for some reason they are reluctant to do it, or are just not trained to do it. If you google " switching from physical sim to e-sim on Verizon", you will be able to find an extensive discussion on reddit with over 200 comments. Very helpful info there.

So it appears you’ll need to call Verizon and request tier 2 tech support. By the way, is your phone unlocked?

Posted by
170 posts

Thanks again Barbara. I will call Verizon again. My phone is very new so it is not unlocked yet but it will be before my tour which is in September.

Posted by
1 posts

I decided to buy eSIM online last month when I travelled to Ireland and it worked really well with my iPhone 11. Might be worth looking at as I'm sure they have different packages for Italy available! I only used data, but I can see that the company (eSIM.net) also offer voice, SMS and data packages. Good luck!

Posted by
2 posts

I kept my Verizon account on the main Sim, and purchased an eSim data plan for Spain from Ubigi. It did not include any calls, but I was able to make calls from the hotel. The cost for the data only was very reasonable. I just checked, Ubigi has a data only plan for Italy, 3GB for $12. Definitely a reasonable option if you only need data.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/tech-tips/esim-for-best-of-spain-tour

https://cellulardata.ubigi.com/plans-coverage/