Please sign in to post.

Need Honeymoon ideas for Europe (2022)

Hey guys! Thank you in advance for the assistance.

As of now, we are looking at 3 countries as of now:
-Germany
-Ireland/UK
-Italy
(If you have another idea, please mention)

We together want a destination with these traits:
-Beaches
-Castles and other beautiful architecture
-Mountains
-Great food
-Beautiful country side with quaint villages
-Friendly and English speaking people
-History (both history buffs)

This will be our first time there. Not looking for anything hectic or complex. We want somewhat of a budget friendly location with solid transportation options. Seems like a lot, but throw advice as to what countrie(s) would fit this look the best.
Thank you!

Posted by
288 posts

If you want mountains and beaches of the 3 italy would be best.

Posted by
1207 posts

Jon!, did any of the many responses to your forum inquiries about Italy (Dec. 2020) https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/italy/italy-7-10-trip-itinerary-advice, or Germany (Feb 2021) https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/general-europe/2-week-germany-austria-trip-ideas help you very much? There were quite a few ideas offered about beaches, mountains, etc., with proposed itineraries and links to resources. I'm wondering what ideas you are seeking that weren't addressed earlier. Folks here are often so helpful; it would be useful for me to know what further information you need in order to do your planning before I offer any ideas on this thread.

Posted by
8520 posts

How much time do you have? I'd stick with England or Ireland, if its your first time and your language criterion is that important.

Posted by
5697 posts

How long do you have for this trip? What time of year?

Do you want to lie on sandy beaches or look at scenic beaches or surf at beaches?

How much English speaking do you want ? Most younger Europeans have studied English in school. What other languages do the two of you feel comfortable with?

Any of your three options could be great honeymoon locations ... just trying to fine-tune the responses.

Posted by
511 posts

Ireland meets all of your criteria hands down. It's also one of the least expensive countries in Europe. Caution: You may not want to go home!

Posted by
49 posts

Cornwall!? Here you have beaches, castles, quaint villages, mountains, history, and English speakers. I cannot attest to the food aside from the seafood 😊.

If you want a reliably English-speaking area, go to an English-speaking country. This will help you have a stress-free trip!

Many smaller locales in countries that use other languages will not have great ability to provide speakers of English outside of large cities. Young people may have learned some, but they may not use it or may have forgotten.

Posted by
11247 posts

Also, my fiancé honestly picked Italy due to her dying want to see Rome. After that I’ve just been diving into research about the country.

If this honeymoon is with that fiance, I do not understand why you are considering Germany and UK/Ireland.

Smile, nod and say "Yes, dear"

Is trip still "Spring 2022" ?( 'Spring' is 3rd week of March to 3rd week of June) 'When' is important over that span

Posted by
1078 posts

If you go to Ireland make sure you book 2-3 nights at Ashford Castle, your fiancé will love it!! The Castle itself is amazing but they have the most unique adventure, The Ashford Falconry School, they teach you about the falcons and then they have you put on the leather glove and you go hunting in the forest around the castle with the falcons.

I took my wife here on our honeymoon and she loved every minute, the restaurant is excellent and experience is one you will always remember.

Posted by
13 posts

The trip will be later summer-fall 2022.
Beaches to not surf but relax, although I would definitely do lessons. It’ll be for around 2 weeks.
She’s more of a beach person then I am, I’d rather hike and see the crazy scenery!

And we did think Italy yes, but other countries are still on the table especially more fluent English speaking ones plus more friendly ones as well (as I’ve heard)

Posted by
32922 posts

hard to find a country with folks more friendly than Italy

Posted by
8725 posts

OP where the H are you hearing that Italy and other European countries aren’t friendly to Americans?

Secondly you are traveling from America. English isn't the native language in many European countries. Why would it be? It ISN'T the USA.

The reason to travel is to experience different cultures. Learn about other ways of life. If you just wish to speak English go to London. You’ll need to understand the English you hear won’t have a familiar southern drawl nor will everyone sound like the Queen, David Beckham or Ed Sheeran.

As far as beaches if that’s a MUST then consider Italy, Spain, Portugal, Sardinia, Greece and Corsica where you’ll find white sand beaches.

If you can live without beaches then consider Ireland. It’s gorgeous, people are polite, friendly and a joy to be around.

France is lovely. English countryside gorgeous. London is a vibrant fantastic city to explore. Easy to train to the coast. Brighton or Hastings or Whitsable. Norway is stunning.

Have you read any of Mr Steve’s guidebooks or watched his travel videos. Would be worth the effort to do so.

Posted by
2708 posts

Many European vacations are ruined by trying to see too much and by visiting too many places. Your wish list has the hallmarks of failure. You’ve posted before and I don’t see that you’ve done any planning or been willing to narrow your wish list. First off, lets talk beaches. European beaches are often stony or have shoulder to shoulder chaises for which you pay dearly. Honestly, if lying on a beach frolicking in the water is a priority go to Hawaii and save yourself all the trouble of post pandemic European travel. If Europe is a must do go to Paris, get your history and romance fix, head for Nice, for the beach fix, see Monaco, fly out of Marseille. You could do a similar Italian trip-Rome, then onto the Cinque Terra for beach and hiking. Remember with 2 weeks every day you travel between places is a day pretty much lost. Stick with 1-2 locations and enjoy.

Posted by
2979 posts

Hi Jon, don’t worry about a language barrier if visiting a touristy area because English will be widely spoken. It’s when you get off the beaten track is when it becomes more challenging. Following are my suggestions:
For beaches - the French Riviera and Cinque Terre (hiking also for the latter).
For castles, mountains and history - the Munich area in Germany.
Mountains and hiking - Lake Como, Italy.
Great food, beautiful countryside and history - all places on your list offer that.
Friendly with English-speaking people - Ireland and the UK.

Posted by
15861 posts

I’ve heard just the opposite! (about Italy).

Whoa. No idea who you've been listening to but clearly no one on this forum. My DH and I speak little Italian beyond the manner phrases EVERYONE should learn (Please, thank you, excuse me, where is.... etc.) and have not run up against any big 'friendliness' issues. Haven't run into any big language difficulties either, not that we've spent a great deal of time in rural/less visited areas where English is less spoken.

But yep, we'd offered up a lot of advice on your Italy post last year so I'm puzzled why there are still questions about that choice of country, especially as it's highest on your S.O.'s list? That said, want mostly to be around English-speaking people? Then the UK or Ireland might be where you want to go. Then again, depending on what parts of the counties you're in, local dialects can sound like a foreign language to the American ear! :O)

Posted by
4375 posts

I know it's not on your list, but have you considered Greece? It checks most of your boxes.

Posted by
13 posts

%100 I have, but I have heard that its a fairly expensive country to visit. But it is beautiful nonetheless.

Posted by
336 posts

I once heard a guy (I think it was a well known comedian) say that he went to Venice for his honeymoon. Then he lamented that in order to top that for his 1st anniversary, he would have to take his wife to Mars.

Venice is pretty special. It offers all of the obvious romance and uniqueness that we know from movies and magazines.. But there is also have Lido beach which is nice and sandy. The Dolomites are relatively close for your mountains. Obviously there is great food and history.

They speak Italian, but you can get by with the basics and using your hands to talk!!!!

Posted by
477 posts

I would say Germany or France fit your bill best from the well-traveled countries.

Beaches: Germany's beaches are mostly limited to the north if you want salt water, but there are tons of inland beaches. We like that sort of thing here in Germany. France has a lot more coastline, from rocky in Bretagne to Mediterranean ones in the south. Advantage France.

Castles: Well, Germany has that covered. So does France.

Mountains: Again, both have that covered pretty well.

Great food: Advantage France; depends a bit on what you like, where you go, and your willingness to seek it out in Germany.

Beautiful countryside with quaint villages: You'll find that in both.

Friendly: I would say outside Paris it's a draw. If you count Paris, advantage Germany.

English speaking: Advantage Germany.

History: You'll find it in both.

Budget: Depends on what exactly you want. Both can be done well on a budget with prior research.

UK/Ireland:

You won't find true mountains in the UK/Ireland, but you will find places like the Peak district that will probably be enough for your requirements. But you'll have to know where to go for "mountains."

The UK/Ireland option won't win in the food category (except London, with its immigrant/colonial import food scene).

Budget: Ireland is cheaper, UK traditionally slightly more expensive, though recently less so.

Obviously a win in the language category.

Italy:

The castles are of a different type in Italy, so do your homework there. Might I suggest a day in San Marino?

English: In places like Rome or Venice or San Marino, no problem. In those quaint villages, it gets trickier (that's true everywhere, but as far as language I would say Germany is the non-UK winner of those on your list).

Budget: Italy's cities can be pricier, so planning is required.

A few other considerations: Weather. Consider how well you each do with heat, rain, etc. If you need warm, then Italy or southern France are your best bet. If you prefer milder weather and are heat wimps like me, I would avoid Italy in the summer. Also, your sense of adventure in terms of dealing with the unforeseen or less-than-efficient. If you think unfamiliar and a bit confusing is fun, Italy is great. If you are conservative and just want to relax together as newlyweds with no problems or issues, the UK/Ireland or Germany options are best.

Finally, my ultimate suggestion for what you want might actually be Slovenia. Maybe add in Croatia (or Rome if that's super important to your fiancee). I think it might fit your bill most completely.

Posted by
2141 posts

Hi Jon, congrats on you upcoming marriage. Of the three countries you mentioned, I’d pick Ireland for your honeymoon. I think it meets most of your requirements. It’s an easy trip from the US, they mostly speak English, good food, and beautiful scenery. I thought there was a relaxed atmosphere throughout the country, music everywhere.

Sounds like you already got advice for Germany and Italy on the other threads. Suggest you browse the RS books for Germany, Ireland, and Italy. They are all great destinations, pick the one that appeals to you both right now.

Consider France for your first anniversary!

Posted by
6470 posts

Germany's beaches are mostly limited to the north if you want salt
water, but there are tons of inland beaches.

That is an important thing to consider, do the beaches have to be salt water or is fresh water acceptable? For great beaches i northern Germany it is also a very short trip across the border to denmark and there are some great beaches in western Jutland.

You won't find true mountains in the UK/Ireland, but you will find
places like the Peak district that will probably be enough for your
requirements.

Not sure what is meant by true mountains, but there certainly are some hilly parts of Scotland: https://goo.gl/maps/yYHhJKExQYbo3s617

Posted by
477 posts

You are correct--I had meant to add the exception of Scotland, but when editing my post must have accidentally deleted it.

Posted by
7688 posts

My wife and I were married in suburban Copenhagen, Denmark. Love the people there.

Not sure how much sightseeing you will want to do on your honeymoon, but do you want history (major cities like Rome, Paris or London) or scenic places (Switzerland, Greek Islands, Norwegian Fjords)?

Italy and the UK are my favorite countries. Both have great food. Britain gets a bad rep, but you will find great Indian, Italian, and more in the UK. Of course, Italy has wonderful food.

If money is a factor, Switzerland and Scandanavia are more expensive than southern Europe or even the UK.

We did a four week drive tour of England and Wales in 2017 and it was great. We didn't go to major cites, but took in Bath, Winchester, Cardiff(Wales(, Tenby (Wales), St. David (Wales), Warwick, York, Durham, Hadrian's Wall, The Lake District and more. Also, we have been to Scotland twice and many times to London. The British are friendly and polite as well as helpful when lost.

Posted by
3915 posts

You could consider Spain as well, I think it will check all your boxes (and more) and will be less expensive that the other options you are considering, plus all connected with the second largest highspeed rail system in the world (only second to China) and first in Europe:

-Beaches:
Costa Brava, Costa Dorada, Costa Verde, Balearic Islands etc.

-Castles and other beautiful architecture:
Alhambra, Alcazar de Segovia, Olite Royal Palace, Sagrada Familia

-Mountains:
Pyrenees and Picos de Europa (think Ireland mixed with Switzerland)

-Great food:
Unmatched price/quality/diversity in Europe, Menu del Dia (seasonal 3 course meals made with local ingredients at rock-bottom prices)

-Beautiful country side with quaint villages:
White Hill towns of Andalucía, Camino de Santiago, green rolling hills of Basque Country

-Friendly and English speaking people
Comparable to Italy

-History (both history buffs)
Again comparable to Italy, but more unique with history of Moors and Arabs culture and history of the Basque people, between Neolithic monuments, Celtic stone fortresses, Greek/Punic colonies, massive Roman villas, Visigoth cathedrals, Moorish palaces, Baroque splendor.