Please sign in to post.

Europe travel in July 2019

My family will be spending 4 nights and 3 full days in Paris this summer. It will be my daughter and my 3 teenage grandchildren. We don't want to cram too much in to the point of exhaustion and would love some ideas of what to prioritize from Day 1 through Day 3. We will be staying at an apartment in Pigalle and wonder the best modes of transportation to the various important sites.

Posted by
134 posts

Hi,

It depends on what your interests are. But in Paris in the summer, you should expect long lines. If it's possible to pre-book tickets to skip the lines, you should do definetly do it.

Best mode of transport: Metro and RER. See ratp.fr.

Posted by
16893 posts

Rick's Paris 2019 book is available now and includes a good, prioritized breakdown for a 3-day visit, or slightly slower for 5-7 days. You can substitute stops but generally don't try to squeeze in more than that. If your trip includes more destinations, then his broader-topic books (France or Best of Europe) will include a shorter version of the same advice.

Posted by
15576 posts

I guess there are parts of Pigalle that are nice, but I'd try to find another area. The best mode of transportation in Paris is the metro. Street traffic can be very slow, especially in am and pm rush hours but also in the intervening hours. How close is the flat to metro stations, and which ones. No matter how close you are to sights, you end up walking miles every day in Paris. It's a good idea to have everyone take long walks at home in the weeks prior to the trip.

There is so much to see and do in Paris. It depends on everyone's interests.

Posted by
595 posts

You can find sample itineraries here: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/france/itinerary

In terms of what to prioritize - go with the interests of the members of your family.. Start by reading the descriptions in the guide books (maybe different members of the family will read different ones), and see what appeals to you. For an example of how this worked out for my husband and me: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/april-in-paris-1e48a51b-4933-490e-9e0d-e8bdf1035b47. Be sure to look at a map so you put together sites that are near each other on the same day.

Lines will be crazy long and you can't skip the security line, just the ticket buying line. But that helps, so buy tickets on line in advance or purchase a Paris Museum Pass for the adults in the party. http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Posted by
768 posts

Chances are your teens will want to visit the Paris Catacombs (or will, once they learn about it).
Worth it, but---lines can be 2 hours long in the summer. So do what my daughter and I did last year.
We saw the line in the middle of the day: 2+ hours long. We came back 5 minutes before closing time (5 pm that day) and walked right in with no line.

They close the entrance at closing time, but still give guests 45 min to go thru. Most people don't realize that.
The catacombs are at Denfert-Rochereau metro stop. Check Google maps for the exact building location.

Posted by
8340 posts

Find out what interests those in your party. That is the best starting point. Make sure everyone gets to do the top#1 item on their list. The first time I went to Paris my list included Eiffel Tower, riding bikes by the river, walking the central core, and the Louis Pasteur Institute. You probably wouldn’t find that combo in a guide book. Yet, I had a wonderful time. The next visit I had a museum pass and took a little more traditional approach. I enjoyed that too.

Posted by
5697 posts

If there's someone who loves Impressionists -- Orsay museum, Monet waterlilies at the Orangerie, and the Marmatton museum (lesser-known, possibly less crowded)
Also, teens might be ready to split up if one likes art, another likes military history, and the third wants to see stained glass windows.

Posted by
4684 posts

Quick note that the Pasteur Museum has been closed to the public for a couple of years due to a security clampdown at the institute.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've stayed in Pigalle before and like it more than the Montmarte area.

I use the metro, there are several metro stations in the area. If you buy a carnet (ten tickets at a time), each ride is only 1,45 euro. If you're bringing a smart phone. I'd suggest downloading the Next Stop Paris app. It's great for giving directions, both metro lines and walking maps, to find your way around Paris.

In terms of choosing what to see, start by looking at what is available on the Paris Museum Pass and plan a day or two with a pass and a day without one. Only you can rate the sights according to your personal interests. I rate sights as either must see (and plan to see them), good to see if I have time (and keep information available in case I have time), or skippable (and make no plans to see them). You should also ask those in your group. Each person will have their own preferences.