Please sign in to post.

2002 Series Euros: what should i do?

To my surprise I opened an envelope in our SDB and found almost 1K in 2002 series Euros. We are headed to France soon and I am wondering if:

1. The old notes will be accepted by taxis, vendors and restaurants? They are in good condition.

2. Should I bring the whole lot of them to exchange at a bank for more recent ones?

There were a couple posts I found on this subject but it was several years ago. Thank you for any advice!

Posted by
7566 posts

Euros do not "expire" or have series taken out of circulation. If you saw discussion regarding out of date notes, it was likely UK GBP notes. Periodically, they will take a series out of circulation, especially as they convert to the polymer based notes from paper.

Posted by
6560 posts

Spend them as usual. I have ensured any Euros we bring home are the newer series but that’s just a personal preference. They all spend equally well.

Posted by
8455 posts

What is SDB? You shouldn't assume these acronyms has are universally understood.

Posted by
7566 posts

You shouldn't assume these acronyms has are universally understood

Sorry....

UK: Stands for the United Kingdom, the current government comprising England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

GBP: Less an acronym, but the official abbreviation/symbol in currency markets for the Pound Sterling of the UK.

Posted by
11 posts

Thank you all for your answers to my questions. Greatly appreciated.