Please sign in to post.

Paris Hotels for under $200/ night

We will be in Paris for three nights the first week in October. Last year we stayed @ Hotel Des Grand Écoles in the Latin Quarter, & liked the neighborhood. They’re booked up. We’ve also stayed in the 7th twice. As of today, the only thing I’ve found is Hotel La Manufacture in the 13th, near Place de ‘Italie & the Gobelins factory in that price range. Has anyone stayed there? It looks pretty far out to walk to main sites.

Posted by
752 posts

Since this is a very busy period in Paris, I’d start with the search engine of booking.com to get an overall picture of what’s still available. You’ll be able to sort by location and price, which should give you some good options. Then check the individual hotel websites, which sometimes have better deals or extras like free breakfasts.

Hi,

Have you ever thought about Airbnb? In 2015 I booked a small apartment for 3 night/4 pax and it only cost me $280 for everything. It was close to the metro and walking distance from the Sacre Coeur.

Posted by
8 posts

I’m on booking.com now, looking. We have stayed in AirB&B in the US & a few times in Europe, but never in Paris. I’ll check that too. Thanks.

Posted by
68 posts

I've stayed in the Hôtel Jeanne d’Arc in the Marais and really like it. It was under $200 a few years ago; I'm not sure what it is today. I've also rented an apartment in the same district and enjoyed the vibe of the neighborhood.

Evelyn

Posted by
3961 posts

We enjoyed staying at the charming Hotel Caron de Beaumarche in Le Marais. It was centrally located to walk to the main sites. We would stay there again. That said, the current nightly rate may be over $200/night. We booked directly through the hotel. www.carondebeaumarchais.com

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey keredg8
a couple other places to check:
cross-pollinate.com. Read the fine print, cash on arrival, shared bathroom, stairs/steps to climb with luggage to what floor, if mobility issues.
alcoves&agapes.com. If you find one send info and they will email you back.
Be careful with Airbnb, make sure it has registration number under read more. Many different llegal rentals and may cancel last minute.
Check arrival times, not too early and if they have luggage storage until checkin. If renting car get your IDP (coincides with drivers license) at AAA/CAA for $30 and 2 photos. Read the laws and driving in France. Is there parking (free or a fee) and how close to your place.
It is a busy time, we will be there last week of September and took a few days to book what we wanted, an apt.
TripAdvisor.com. See what there is, where, how much then look at their site.
good luck have fun don’t stress. Enjoy this magical city, sit and have glass of vino at cafe, people watch.
aloha

Posted by
2542 posts

Peak hotel season starts in September and continues through late October. More than hotel suggestions, you need a hotel that has availability. Use the usual search engines and be open about the area. In Sept/Oct, 180€ ($200) is probably not going to get you a fabulous hotel near Ile de la Cité unless you book months in advance, maybe not even then.

The 13th, around Place d´Italie is a wonderful location, but you might need to take the bus to reach some destinations but it should not be a big deal. I would also look in the 14th, near Edgar Quinet and the 15th near rue du Commerce or rue de la Convention.

Posted by
3688 posts

If you like the Latin Quarter, you could take a look at Hôtel des Nations Saint Germain though I do think there is a good chance that it is sold out. Another option could be Hôtel des Arènes. If the Hôtel des Nations Saint Germain is sold out, its website will offer up suggestions for other properties in its group.

Posted by
8038 posts

We stay near Place d'Italie and while it wouldln't be my choice for a 3 night stay it is well connected by metro to the center. The 7 metro goes to Chatelet and a couple of stops near the central islands (we like to get off at Pont Marie for our favorite coffee shop. Cafeoteque and after the Louvre hooks around up to Opera and then ends at Villlette -- you can change to other lines at Chatelet or Opera easily. There is also a huge market there on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. August Blanqui.

We really like the area around Edgar Quinet in the 14th. Inexpensive hotels on Rue Delambre -- basic but they had wifi, a safe, AC and decent enough shower. good access to great crepe restaurants, the big famous brasserie on Blvd Montparnasse and cafes and bakeries. Also a market on Edgar Quinet -- pretty sure it is on Saturday don't know what other days. Good metro connections.

Posted by
12172 posts

I've never paid that much for a double in Paris. I usually book something for about 135 euro that time of year. Sometimes I've had great rooms, sometimes not so much. Of course I never book until the last minute (some people aren't willing to do that). Some of my better options were in Pigalle (an area often shunned by Americans but I thought it was fine) and Ibis business hotels near Gare de Lyon (showing $85 to 100 now).

I'd suggest looking at TripAdvisor.com. When I had a French girlfriend it's what she used to book in Paris.

I've had the worst luck with Booking.com. First, if you ask for something "near" an area, watch the date closely. I've had more than once where it changes the date and gives you dates "near" what you were searching for. Also, I've had too many times where Booking.com nets you the worst room in the place.

Posted by
11 posts

I stumbled on a webpage of rentals 7 years ago, with little icons on the map to show where they are. Don't know if it still exists. You could get an inexpensive apartment-type place with bed, kitchen and bath for a fraction of the cost of a hotel. These rentals are all over the city and you might find yourself in an interesting neighborhood. We did.

Good luck and have fun!
Sharon

Posted by
8 posts

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions, especially to the person who referred me to another thread on this same topic! Many of your suggested hotel were booked, or had only the more expensive rooms still available. We booked Hotel Marigan which was only $477 for 3 nights, but going to cancel it as it’s 6 floors & no elevator. It will be our luckbto get the 6th floor, & they are up front that you handle your own bags. I used Trip Advisor map as someone suggested, & booking.com map too.
So, the three left in the running are Hotel Minerve & Hotel St Christophe, both in the Latin Quarter, & Hotel de la Bretonnerie in the Marais.
If anyone has stayed in these, please post a comment. Thanks!

Posted by
9420 posts

keredg, Most, if not all, hotels in your price range you will have to handle your own luggage. Glad the threads i linked helped. I don’t know any of those 3 hotels, but they’ve all been recommended on this forum many times.
I like the Latin Quarter very much, but my first choice would be the Marais. It’s quintissential charming Paris.

Posted by
354 posts

We stayed at Hotel Familia (with A/C, a lift and a balcony) in the Latin Quarter for 150/night. It was walking distance to a metro and I would definitely stay there again.

Posted by
258 posts

I think the website Sharon was on is that of either homeaway.com or vrbo.com. They are now the same outfit. We stayed in a small one bedroom apt just off Rue Cler for about $1200 for 3 weeks in Oct 2016. Rue Cler is a great location with ready Metro & bus access. Only 3 nights is going to be tough to find anywhere that time of year at this relatively late date.

Posted by
2299 posts

hey hey keredg8
are you looking for a hotel?
grand hotel des gobelins
hotel andre latin
eduoard 6 montparnasse
hotel agora saint germain
hotel le richemont
hotel des arenes
at this late date and knowing how busy and crowded paris will be, check these out. i've been looking for some friends and found these. good luck happy travels
aloha

Posted by
8 posts

We made reservations @ Hotel du College de France on rue Thenard, near the Pantheon & Sorbonne. Thanks to all for their advice & recommendations. I also used a thread on Fodor’s Travel & Trip Advisor. This is the last booking on a month long trip, so now on to packing that one small suitcase ....
If anyone has restaurant favorites please list them. We like bistro food, & found Au Bougnat, a block north of Notre Dame last year for a great lunch.