Please sign in to post.

Where to buy an IPad Sim Card

We land at Gatwick before traveling through Wales, Spain and England this summer. I'm taking an iPad mini and plan to buy a chip - (edit that; sim card) . Any recommendations on whether to buy at the Gatwick airport or wait until Cardiff and go to a phone store? I've had both good and bad experiences both ways.

Also, does anyone know if sim cards now work across GB and Spain? I'd read within the last year that countries were beginning to work together and share. That would be nice!

Posted by
3580 posts

Interesting question. I've used my iPad mini the last few visits to England, France, and Italy. I just used it as it was, coming from the States. I conclude that a chip is not required.

Posted by
23267 posts

There are ipads and assume maybe minis that are 3G compatible. I assume they would have to have a way to get a phone chip in and out of the mini.

Posted by
162 posts

Thank you Emma, you're right, sim card is the better choice of word(s). I purchase them rather than data plans from AT&T when traveling. Wifi is fine as long as it's available, but it sometimes isn't and I want to be able to connect when I need to.