Please sign in to post.

Conditions/storm damage in southwestern England and Wales

Hello. I have also posted this question in the England forum:

My husband and I will be traveling to the UK in early May. Our itinerary is not finalized yet. We were interested in traveling to either southwestern England (Somerset, Devon, Cornwall) or southwestern Wales (Pembrokeshire). However, there have been terrible storms/flooding recently. Can anyone comment on the level of damage in any these places and if the areas will be ready for visitors by early May?

Posted by
1446 posts

Check the web sites of the locations you are interested in seeing. Most of the floods obviously were in the river valleys. There's a lot of high ground and roads that have historically been high and dry in your target area. We were advised to travel A46 from the Cotswalds to Wales.

Posted by
4684 posts

It's been announced that the main railway line into Cornwall will reopen on 4th April.

Posted by
2399 posts

All roads are now open. The railway to south Devon & Cornwall has also now been re-opened.

The Cambrian Coast Railway between Harlech & Pwllheli in NW Wales will not be open until summer due to the replacement of a bridge over an estuary.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-26678237