Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London?

I'm looking for a medium priced hotel ($200) in London. Clean and safe. Near any tube station near the city would be helpful. I'm staying for a week and would like to be in a safe area.

Posted by
2841 posts

Near WHICH tube? There are tons of answers based on where. You might even try Google maps, expand on the area you wish, and click hotels. And then check their listings.

Posted by
273 posts

I don’t know what “medium” priced means but I suspect you need to check out Premier Inn.

Posted by
5320 posts

Medium priced? What does that mean to you? In £s?

Fun fact : London has 272 tube stations, so that doesn't really narrow things down. The usual recommendation is to look for a place inside the Circle Line; but even that is a pretty big area. You could start with Google Maps. Or use Booking.com, where you can filter for price and other amenities, as well as location. But book directly with the hotel if possible. One other possibility is to look at Premier Inns; a UK chain with several London hotels, which is often recommended.

Posted by
23542 posts

Our preferred area is around Victoria Station. Pretty central and good pubs and restaurants in the area plus a laundry. Current hotel of choice is the Best Western Victoria Station and in the annex.

Posted by
602 posts

The time of year you’re visiting will affect the hotel prices. Summer will have pretty high rates. $200 equals about £160, so keep that in mind. I also recommend using booking.com to search using the filters based on your needs.
I stayed in the Lambeth area just over the Westminster Bridge and felt very safe. Good luck and enjoy London!

Posted by
7535 posts

Hi, Cindy, I would recommend checking out Premier Inn hotels. I recently stayed at one near the Waterloo Station (Premier Inn County Hall) and paid around $180 a night, and that was for a Premier Plus room with mini fridge, and other extra amenities. There are Premier Inns all over London. Here are some posts that will give you an idea of the locations of some:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/london-hotel-information
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/requesting-opinions-of-certain-premier-inns-in-london
https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/which-premier-inn-victoria-waterloo-county-hall-or-other-in-london

Posted by
8784 posts

Hi, Cindy. Premier Inn is my go to in London for reasonably priced hotels. They are fairly basic, but clean, safe, and well located giving good value. In addition to the Premier Inn County Hall mentioned above, there is a Premier Inn Waterloo just a few blocks away that is also well located.

Both of those hotels are walking distance to Westminster (about 5-10 minutes), Waterloo Station (5 minutes) and are well located for the paths along the Thames, the London Eye, and Westminter pier. Either Waterloo Underground or Westminster Underground are convenient.

Both Mardee and myself stay in these hotels in this area as solo women travelers and there are no issues with safety.

Posted by
8297 posts

We stay at Premier Inn which is 1/4 mile from the Paddington Station where the Heathrow Express comes in. It's a nice walk beside a canal on the north side of the train station. There are all kinds of restaurants across from the train station, and the Underground station is also right there. You can get to anywhere in the city very easily--including Heathrow Airport (15 minutes).

It's also a short walk to the north side of Hyde Park and the Kensington area is not far.

Posted by
283 posts

Bear in mind that Premier Inns are seldom on Booking.com. And in any case,the best prices and options are booking directly with Premier Inn.

If you do often there is a glitch when booking on the website that sometimes displays the date incorrectly because of the time difference across the pond. Using the app on my phone eliminates this. There are many locations. Prices are dynamic so the earlier you book the better the price,usually. Prices can vary a lot by location and date, etc.

Posted by
5320 posts

Regarding the known glitch on dates when booking Premier Inns - we ran into that when making our reservations recently. We followed the suggestion of setting our device's clock to GMT during the reservation process. Once the process was complete, we reset the clock to local.

Posted by
34 posts

I notice Premier Inn only allows 2 adults per room. We are husband and wife traveling with our 22 year old daughter. I know it may be odd to some, but she would prefer to be in a separate bed in the same room with us. She does not want to be in a room alone. Do you think this will be a problem with most hotels in London? Thanks for any info. I was hoping to stay at a Premier near Waterloo. We will be in central London a couple of days and then move on to Hampton Court Palace area.

Posted by
34 posts

Sorry, meant to also ask if it is a bonus to stay over in Molesey for Hampton Court Palace? Or should we just stay in London? I am new on here, so hope I am not posting in the wrong place or piggy backing. Thanks for any info. Just happened to stumble on thread of where to stay, I’d found an Airbnb in Molesey, but am wondering if we really need to switch locations. Hampton Court is kind of my main goal for now.

Posted by
134 posts

I'm not an expert on the different areas of London, but I saw ann's question about three adults staying in one room and thought I'd comment on that. I am the adult child in my family, and my parents and I also prefer to stay in a room together when we travel so we can split the cost instead of getting 2 rooms. We are going to London in September. It took some research to find something reasonably priced, but I did find us a room at the Harlingford Hotel between Russell Square and Euston station. The room is a King bed and a twin, but I'm not fussy about being in a twin if it means I can split the room cost. There were other hotels I noticed during my research that had options for 2 double beds, but my dad is very tall and I wanted to make sure he got a bed that is long enough. Obviously I can't give a review of the hotel since I haven't actually stayed there yet, but I wanted to reassure you that the options are out there if you're willing to look for them.

Also, I have done Hampton Court Palace as a day trip from London. It's definitely doable.