Please sign in to post.

Best Time To purchase Airfare

Taking our first trip to Italy in Oct from Florida. When should I purchase Airline tickets for a good price?

Posted by
8377 posts

There is no real answer to this question. No one knows. You can increase your chance of making an educated guess by tracking the price on Google flights for awhile. You will soon develop a sense of what a typical price is and what a lower price is. When you find something that seems “lower” that fits your budget and your schedule, go ahead and purchase.

Posted by
16265 posts

Where in Florida?

British airways is having a sale, for ticket purchase through 30 January. I just picked random dates in October (Oct. 2-14) and it came up with a fare of $731 roundtrip from Miami to Milan. The flights are actually on American Airlines, Iberia; and BA in Basic Economy (no checked luggage).

Posted by
933 posts

we booked our tickets to Italy for Oct as soon as our opening day opened --- which is always 330 days from your return trip home. We find tickets are always cheapest then for us. We are flying into Venice and out of Rome - we got Delta Premium Select for $1600. Now they are $3979. Coach was $976 at the time and it is now. $1479. So for us, we always book at our 330 day mark.

Posted by
406 posts

If you read the article in the link Mr E shared be aware that you need to dig in deeper in the article to get information on best time to buy European flights. Quite different than the American flights.

Posted by
2732 posts

Like Chinalake67, I bought tickets a few days after they posted to United’s website. Bought in mid-
November, RT Rome, 8/26-9/24, economy with preferred seats, refundable because anything can happen in my 70s. Phoenix is not a cheap market. Price has not gone down since.

Posted by
2498 posts

It is a lot like gambling. I saw $750 for direct basic fare to London from Miami in fall for late May. But had not figured out trip yet. By the time I had basic fare had gone above $1000 and I wanted to fly main cabin main so seemed like a lot. I sulked a bit and watched the fares. They dropped down to $850 about a month later and I pounced on it. I was pretty pleased with myself because within hours they were back above $1000.

I had set up goggle alerts and now am getting alerts that four months out the fares have gone back to what they were early fall ($750 for direct flights at same times as I purchased but on Virgin air not American).

Posted by
17918 posts

3 weeks ago i started tracking a RT Austin to Budapest. The price on day one was $1386. About 10 days ago it dropped to $1100 for one day then back to $1386 the next. Then a week ago it shot up to $1700, today its $1000.

Go figure.

Posted by
822 posts

snagged a deal in July, JFK-CDG on AA, $435 r/t, flying in March. Main Cabin.