Please sign in to post.

WhatsApp

Please share with your experience with this app.
Can you use it to call (phone - talk) to the USA?
Is it mainly for messaging?
Connectivity? Ease of finding hot spot to connect to internet?
I have a Samsung S20ef, that can not accommodate eSIM.
Thanking you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Posted by
32770 posts

I live on WhatsApp.

Anybody with the app installed on a phone or laptop and some android tablets can communicate for free with anybody else anywhere in the world who has the app.

Calls, messages, text messages, video messages, video calls, files, documents, pictures, with excellent quality as long as you have access to the Internet, either wifi or data.

You don't need a specific WhatsApp hotspot, any access to the Internet will do.

I know nothing about your specific S20ef so somebody else will have to advise there.

As long as your other party has the app it works perfectly well to USA. I have a number of conversations (using text and photos) going with North Americans, both sides of the border.

Posted by
612 posts

I’m currently using it for calls and texting. Calls and texts are to contacts that have WhatsApp installed and activated. Minimum connectivity required is Wi-Fi. I’m using several types of connections depending on which is most efficient at the time - Wi-Fi, an eSim, and a traditional SIM card.

Posted by
24 posts

It works well. My phone is a Samsung 10E. In fact, my RS tour group was asked by the guide to install it so she could contact us in a hurry. BTW, I'm still in contact via WhatsApp with an Australian gal I first met in Portugal.

Posted by
8674 posts

I can attest to Nigel living on WhatsApp. I’m in LA.

Its how we keep in touch. iPhone for me.

Posted by
2622 posts

I love WhatsApp. The best thing about it is how quickly pictures and little videos go through to people. I'm constantly running into size issues with videos while I travel - and it's no problem with WhatsApp vs. my phone's texting limits - which are constantly rejecting my videos - even 20 second ones! -as too large to send.