Please sign in to post.
Posted by
16241 posts

At least the oysters were nicely presented, on ice with lemon wedges.

Posted by
7278 posts

That is horrible and also the aggressiveness adding to the situation!

Yes, a good reminder to order from a menu. Even at a stand up counter such as a gelato shop, I will order “the 3 Euro medium” to state the cost up front, for example.

Posted by
2344 posts

I need to remember that phrasing for ordering gelato.

Posted by
11176 posts

The $570 is Canadian $$.

Looks like they also got stung by the DCC as the bill shows the total in " $ ". 407 euro = $532 Canadian

Well heeled, tech savvy couple with no common sense. Ordering without a menu or asking 'how much?'

Posted by
2252 posts

WOW! A cautionary tale for sure! The trip advisor reviews included in the article are just as crazy as this story is.

Posted by
2312 posts

"... Looks like they also got stung by the DCC"

Nope, no DCC, the $571 looks to be correct @ the May 23rd/May 24th Euro CDN$ conversion rate + the 2.5% FTF.

Posted by
9420 posts

I guess the Greek government doesn’t care that this kind of rip-off is going on?
The guy at the restaurant next door said he tries to warn people… so i assume it’s allowed.

I feel sorry for the couple, they sound very nice, but they’re very naive with no common sense. They learned a valuable life lesson.

Posted by
11176 posts

OOPs Missed the May23 date

Is it normal now for a charge slip to show the amount in both euro and the 'home' currency of the card?

Posted by
32740 posts

May23 date

so it is nearly news then...

Posted by
7544 posts

Is it normal now for a charge slip to show the amount in both euro and the 'home' currency of the card?

No, it should not, unless they are making an offer...otherwise they have no idea what the exchange rate is. Of course you can insist the transaction be made in euros.

Posted by
2312 posts

"Is it normal now for a charge slip to show the amount in both euro and the 'home' currency of the card"

That clip of the transaction in the linked article is not of the actual receipt - it is a clip of the posted/cleared CC transaction as you'd see it displayed in your phone/tablet banking App.