Please sign in to post.

Monet Gardens

My family is traveling to Europe in June 2011. We will have 6 days in Paris. My daughter desperately wants to travel to Monets Gardens in Giverncy. Does the Eurail travel there or would we need to take a "tour"? Is this trip worth doing as well?

Posted by
2091 posts

Elizabeth, in Rick's Paris guidebook, he gives detailed instructions on taking the train to Rouen, getting off in Vernon and then catching the bus (or a taxi) to Giverny. Quite easy to do just be sure you have the train schedule for your return trip. One year we had to wait almost 2 hours in the afternoon at the train station because we had miscalculated....It actually turned into an afternoon of giggles!

Posted by
500 posts

We did one of the tours there once and another time I went on my own via train from Saint-Lazare Paris station. It was easy and much cheaper by train. It's not Eurail just a local train I think it was a little over an hour, then it is a 10 minute walk to the garden. The tour we took first brought us to Auvers sur Oise where Van Gogh died and is buried then we went to Vernon where Giverny is and had lunch and then across the road to Monets Garden. It is a really lovely garden and a nice day trip from Paris.

Posted by
284 posts

There is a bus at the train station in Vernon that takes you to Giverny. You can get the bus schedule at the Paris train station when you buy your round trip train ticket. The bus is sync with the train arrivals and departures. When you arrive head straight to the bus and buy you tickets. Need cash for the ticket. Also check on the return times to make sure you catch your train. To get to the bus, walk out the front of the train station and head down the sidewalk on the right hand side. It will curve with the street and the bus is about 100 feet down the sidewalk. Upon the return the bus will drop you off on the otherside of the train station (behind the tracks). You will have to walk thru an underpass and up a bit to get to the station. You will enter on the far side of where the tracks are. Hopefully this description makes some sense. Edwin

Posted by
186 posts

This trip is totally worth making! In June the garden will be especially gorgeous. Along with following Edwin's good
directions, get an early start leaving Paris in the morning.

Posted by
1315 posts

I agree, this is an easy trip by train and bus and totally worth it. Be sure to see the village too and walk down the main street and see Monet's grave in the cemetery. I highly recommend an outdoor lunch at the Hotel Baudy.

Posted by
425 posts

Bear in mind that all his ORIGINAL paintings are in Paris, and NOT at the house!

Posted by
782 posts

We visited Monet's home and gardens in July 2009 and enjoyed it immensely. You'll think you stepped right into one of Monet's paintings - especially in the water garden. Actually, your photo's will look just like Monet paintings - except you'll be in them! It's a lovely relaxing place to visit. Much more interesting to me than seeing his paintings in a museum.

Posted by
2023 posts

You can get the train to Giverny at Gare Lazare-also goes to Rouen.

Posted by
500 posts

The L'Orangarie in Paris has many of the giant Monet water lilly canvas's. Visit the museum after you visit Giverny.

Posted by
186 posts

Also, Musee Marmottan-Claude Monet in Paris is another less
visited museum. It's a gem! Closed on Mondays.