Please sign in to post.

Camera for a 3-month trip - what to take?

In Sept. I'm heading out for my first trip to Europe for 3 months. I've been looking at cameras and have narrowed it down to the Canon S90 (high end compact) and the Canon Rebel T2i (digital SLR).

At this point it's a matter of whether I want to lug around a larger camera or something that slips into my pocket. I don't own either yet, but have been using an older Rebel for a number of years.

My goal is to travel light, but I want to capture the trip through my photography and have quality shots. I know the final decision is mine, but I'm opening this up to input.

Gracias!

Posted by
850 posts

The past two trips I have taken Nikon DSLR's and prior trips I took point and shoot cameras. My photos are much better now partly and most importantly because I have worked on improving my photography knowldege and partly because of the camera. I will always take my DSLR in the future and now shoot entirely in raw which allows me to recover more detail in each photo. The extra weight, size and lens is something that I am willing to bite the bullet on in order to get as much as I can out of my photography. Since you love photography you may want to take a DSLR this time and decide if it is something you want to do in the future. You could take your p&S too and pick your times to use your DSLR. Looking back on my photos in '98, 2000 & 2002 I regret not having a better camera. In 2004 I took a higher end P&S and those photos are good but the DSLR just gives me more flexibility and with the larger sensor allows better low light shots with less noise. My wife takes her p&S so we can go light at times if need be.

Posted by
629 posts

My wife carries her Nikon Dslr on our trips, I carry a point & shoot. Photography is her love and she wouldn't be happy without her camera & 2 lenses. The photos that she returns home with are well worth the extra weight and a lot better than mine! We travel light - but her camera must come along and she carries it. Do you love your photography?

Posted by
160 posts

Hi Michelle,

The compact vs. DSLR conversation has been knocked around on this message board several times with many passionate responses. I've always used a Canon sure-shot but took my daughter's Canon T2 to Europe last month. The DSLR took fantastic pics, but to me it wasn't worth the extra space and weight. I know I'm only talking ounces here, but the ease of slipping your camera into your pocket and not having something hanging around your neck is huge...at least to me it is. And the compact has all the features I want with great resolution.

Like you said, it is a personal decision, and you're going to get responses from folks who prefer their DSLR's. I like 'em both, but for traveling lite, I'll stick with my compact.

Has anyone tried the new panoramic cameras, yet? I'd like to hear from someone who has. Especially, the printing aspect (cost, size of print, resolution,...)

Have a great time!

Posted by
331 posts

Michelle, as previousley asked. Do you love photography? We are headinhg to Germany & Italy and I will be taking my Nikon D80. My wife has a Nikon point and shoot that fits in your pocket. Quite frankly the flash pictures taken with it are horrible. So much so my wife and daughter have complained about the quality. Is it possible to test them out before you purchase? Does anyone you know have similar models?

Posted by
36 posts

Yes, I love my photography and now it’s a matter of how much, right? Enough to carry equipment? It’s the real question I need to answer... Thanks!

There’s a shop that carries both and I will play with them.

Ed, I haven’t any experience with the panoramic cameras. I’m sure they’re fun!

Posted by
1976 posts

Why are you looking at these cameras - price, features, other reasons? I have a Nikon D60 DLSR and 2 months ago I bought a Nikon Coolpix S8000, a high-end compact, for my most recent trip to Europe. I was too worried about something happening to the D60, and it's bulky esp. with the camera bag. The S8000 takes beautiful pictures and is the size of a pack of notecards. I took my camera charger, 2 memory cards, and CDs to burn my pictures to as a backup in case something happened to the card(s). If you want a compact camera, definitely consider picture quality and the number of settings.

Posted by
97 posts

Michelle, I'm facing the same dilemma -- I'm an avid photographer, I'm going on a trip next month where I know I'll have some great photo opportunities, and I can't decide whether to take the compact, the SLR, or (no, really) both.

The last time I traveled, I only took the compact, and I got photos good enough to enlarge (I blew one up to 20x30!) and hang in a show, but as you know, there are still things an SLR does better. So I'm torn.

One thing you might consider is taking the older Rebel. You can get wonderful shots with it and not worry as much about theft or damage as you might with a brand new T2i.

Posted by
32206 posts

Michelle,

Photography is an important component of my travels, and I always travel with both a DSLR and a small pocket-sized P&S (Canon SD-870IS). Although the DSLR is large, heavy and a bit of nuisance to travel with, it allows me to get photos that simply aren't possible with a P&S.

One of the reasons I use this travel method is that I've found in the past that most P&S Cameras have some "limiting factors", especially wide angle and zoom range and ISO capability. These tend to use a smaller sensor which doesn't provide the same quality. A DSLR also provides a far greater range of control settings for best flexibility in a variety of conditions.

You might want to have a close look at This Page and This Page (especially the "Final Word" part) for some detailed reviews of the two Cameras.

I've found over several years that I tend to use a medium range zoom (24-105) and wide angle (10-22) the majority of the time. The Canon Chargers are designed for "world operation", but you'll need Plug Adapters specific to the countries you'll be travelling in.

The DSLR's have more of a "learning curve", so be sure to spend some time with it prior to the trip and take the Manual with you (it's small & easy to pack)! Some Camera Stores offer introductory lessons with purchase, so you might take advantage of those (if possible). A spare battery and spare Memory Cards are a good idea, as well as a good quality Case to protect the Camera in transit (DON'T pack it in checked luggage!). If you go with the DSLR, two 8 GB cards would be a good start.

Good luck and happy travels!

Posted by
355 posts

I take both, but I LOVE photography. I have a Nikon DSLR and a Nikon Coolpix point-and-shoot. If there is a day or particular plans where I don't want to lug my DSLR, I leave it locked up in my suitcase. And I always have my point-and-shoot, if I want to just snap a quick photo (it also takes videos). But, as I said, I love taking photos and the quality of those taken with the DSLR just don't compare. I also have a floater on my homeowners policy, so I don't have to fret too much about leaving my DLSR behind in my suitcase.

Posted by
36 posts

I knew I would open up a can of worms with this!!

Now, I’m really confused :\

Sarah – these are the two I’ve decided on because of their capabilities (P&S compact vs. DSLR). I am limited to my spending, but won’t skimp.

Ken- thanks for the DP review pages – been over those many times over…. I appreciate your detailed advice.

If I go with the last two comments, I’ll buy both and have all my options covered! That I hadn’t considered.

~M

Posted by
241 posts

Well .... what a difficult issue!!!
Good pix = dSLR plus some bits equipment (quite significant).
High end prosumer may be a good compromise. I quite like Canon G series.
I have a compact Sony with a Zeiss lens which is good, but think it's not available. I love it optically.
No question my Nikon D80 takes great pix just on Auto but I wouldn't want to carry it around a lot (it's a personal thing).
Also, depends on photography you like - I like street photography and small cameras are less obvious.
I'm away for a few weeks soon and am travelling with a Fuji compact. I've spent a lot of time learning the controls so I don't need to work anything out. This is not one of my favourite cameras but it fits into my pocket. I'm planning a 2GB SD card per day (max JPEG setting not RAW) and hopefully will get a few good shots!
Good luck
s

Posted by
204 posts

If you are a serious photographer, sometimes called an enthusiast, there is no question but that you will carry your DSLR. The only question left is whether to carry a good point and shoot too. A serious photographer has both plus a couple of speciality lenses. So it depends on what you really are. If you are the usual tourist and/or traveler, a PNS makes more sense.

Posted by
241 posts

Agree with Tom. Concentrate on the photos not the camera. Take loads of pix and a few will come out OK. If the camera is your rate limiting step then the decision's easy. If you're unsure take a P&S. Concentrate on composition.
I rarely use photoshop (mostly crop, frame, change to B&W) and my pix are not usually for huge prints or publication. Thus, no need for RAW. I'm a very serious photographer and have managed for years with a little camera (only) on hols. You need to determine what the camera is for - ie the type of pix you'll be taking - style you like and the exposure conditions. For "difficult" situations you'll need a dSLR - probably on manual. You'll need to choose your lenses too (I'm a Prime person!)
s ;o))

Posted by
191 posts

Michelle, my question to you concerns your level of photography experience: If you have limited experience, then I would take a P & S and concentrate on learning the elements that make a good photograph, such as composition and lighting. When you get home, learn to use photo editing software. Only after learning the basics is it worthwhile investing in a DSLR.

In my own case, I own five SLR's and the only framed print of my own photography in my living room was taken with a 3 megapixel Kodak easyshare. So the camera isn't everything, it's your own eye and opportunity that counts. I only take P & S on our travels, and don't regret for a minute not having all that kit that goes with a dSLR. Modern camera equipment is pretty amazing. Go easy on your back and your pocket book and stick with the P & S.

Posted by
18 posts

We travel to Europe every year for 2-3 weeks. I have been using Canon SX200 which is wide angle, telephoto optical 12x and has manual settings. My husband carries an SLR and couple lenses. I gave up SLR years ago, always using a higher end Canon P & S. I see no limitations with this little camera, only positives of sticking it in my bag and going. It is always with me, day and night, takes great shots, indoor, outdoors, telephoto, flash. With small tripod, which also fits in purse, it takes great long distance telephoto shots. The quality of my photos equals my husbands, and I have to admit, that even with experience from using a manual SLR that the Canon really does a good job on its own with the automatic settings. I upgrade every few years, this is the best one yet. Bet the S90 might even be better!

Posted by
36 posts

The battle of DSLR and P&S fans continue…

Sandy, what is the small tripod you are referring to? I’m back to comparing P&S cameras. The SX200 looks interesting, too.

Thanks everyone!

Posted by
36 posts

Composition and a good eye are skills I have and not an issue (not to brag). In fact, I like to shoot more creatively (seeing things in an unusual way), and capturing the moment.

Of course, I want to take away from this trip imagery of the sights and people of Europe - most of which have been documented over and over.

In writing this, I realize this is indeed an artistic endeavor for me, and a way to express myself creatively. It's a matter of the tool I choose to do it with.

Posted by
629 posts

My wife carries her DSLR and an extra lens in a low key shoulder tote - not a camera bag, that's for at home. Her tote has room for other items and she feels that her camera equipment takes up no more space than someone bringing an extra pair of shoes. She always uses a wrist strap not a neck strap. Don't forget to put a couple of socks over your lenses. Have a great trip!

Posted by
951 posts

If both of the cameras that you like had a baby, you would have a canon G11. I get mine delivered tomorrow for my Italy trip this year. I am soooo excited to learn how to use it. I have seen pictures taken with it and I am impressed. I am sick of taking 3000 pictures and not being impressed by any of them due to the quality. I had been using a $400 sony cybershot and it really is all bark and no bite.

Posted by
30 posts

I thought the goal of the poster was to "travel light." You won't be traveling light if you decide to become a "serious" photographer because they only use DSLR's. If you leave in September, are you going to have the time to master all the features of a DSLR? If you have that kind of time and a good teacher, then bravo for you. If not, keep it simple, relax, and enjoy.

Posted by
32206 posts

Michelle,

If you decide on a DSLR, you won't necessarly have to master "all" the features. As you're not leaving for a month or so, you should have adequate time to get up to speed with basic Camera operation before departure. Also, virtually all DSLR's provide an "auto" mode, so it can also be used like a P&S if desired.

Cheers!

Posted by
1064 posts

Either camera will serve you well for the trip, but whichever you buy, you will be stuck with for a long time. So, look beyond the trip when buying a new camera. I cannot offer advice on compacts, but a high-end model may actually have a better lens than a DSLR with a kit lens. And the glass is the most important part of any decent camera.

If you go with the Rebel, try to buy the body and lens separately. There is nothing wrong with kits, but you can usually buy a much higher quality moderate-zoom lens for $100 or $200 more than with the kit version.

As for traveling light, I have tried traveling with a camera bag with extra lenses, flash and tripod. I now leave all that behind and take only the DSLR with one extra lens. That's all. Both fit in an old messenger bag when not in use, and I leave the extra lens in my room except when needed for distant views. On-camera flash works fine for fill flash, and you cannot use flash in churches and museums, anyway. And a bench, post or church pew is usually a good alternative to a tripod in low-light situations.

Posted by
36 posts

You all are wonderful! I truly appreciate your input.

Now, I'm going back to considering the mirrorless idea. Particularly, the Olympus E-PL1. It's not perfect, but it suits my needs and style of shooting. I'll let you know what I decide :)

Posted by
132 posts

I'm also looking for a camera. (So I hope you don't mind me jumping in; rather than start a new heading.)

I have both a DSLR and a Point and Shoot (Nikon CoolpixL18) I love both.

When in Europe, I like the convenience of slipping a camera in a pocket. But I sometimes seem to push the limits of the PnS. Especially in low light conditions

Any recommendations on a decent PnS for low light conditions?

We also carry a Sanyo HD Xacti. And I tend to merge Video and photos together into movies. So having the ability to adjust the format to match is a plus.

And of course, using AA batters, is a plus for allowing us to minimize recharging, and having 1 fewer specialized spare battery to carry.

We're heading back in October. So I'd like to replace the PnS with enought time to practice with it before.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Posted by
873 posts

I'm bringing my DSLR, since I can use my iPhone (which I am bringing for many other reasons) as a point&shoot for quick snapshots.

Anyway, if you bring the DSLR, you should get by with the "starter" zoom lens that usually comes with the camera. If you aren't bringing any kind of storage device (computer, etc.), bring an extra memory card. You shouldn't need anything else unless you're really serious about photography.

Posted by
5678 posts

You don't have to know all the features of the DSLR before you leave, you need to know the features that you expect to use. I travel with both the DSLR and a point and shoot. I love having the DSLR with me because I like the flexibility that it offers. I take the point and shoot because there are times--particularly in the evening--when I really only want a smaller camera. You said that you like to be creative with your photographs. You need to think about how creative the P&S will let you be. My P&S is a Nikon Koolpix. Pam

Posted by
1883 posts

Kelly must be related to me. I just dumped my Sony Cyber shot for the G11. Better camera, newer technology. Highly recommended by friends who use DSLR camera, but use the G11 as well.

I bought mine on Amazon.com...got the best price I found, and free shipping.

Been practicing for our bike trip to England next month. had a yet another friend who is a professional photographer show me some tricks. he has the G10, and told me he loves it, carries that camera with him all the time...he was really excited that I bought the G11.

He's totally a Canon camera freak and has the BEST that they make, yet uses the G10 tons.....