Please sign in to post.
Posted by
6884 posts

That's just an extension cord, right?
Then it depends on what you plan to plug on it.
Most chargers and lower-power items now accept 100-240V. But things like hairdryers, curling irons, etc. are typically tied to a single voltage. You need to check the items you need to bring. If 100-240V, then a plug adapter is OK. If not...converter if you MUST bring the item, but they are heavy.

Posted by
10 posts

Thanks. Planning on brining an iphone, ipad, and camera to charge. No hair dyers or straightners.

Posted by
6489 posts

You should be fine as long as you add plug adapters for the wall sockets. You'll need one adapter for England, another for the continental countries. Note that this product doesn't have a surge protector, and that the description doesn't include its weight.

Posted by
4385 posts

Nowadays it's not about voltage, it's about the shape of the plug. Chargers for the gadgets in our lives like tablets, phones, cameras adjust themselves to whatever juice you're giving them. Best bet is to buy a complete set of all possible plug shapes (should be only 4 or 5) so you are definitely covered. And bring at least two sets.

However as noted, certain beauty devices care very much about their voltage and can cause real problems.

Posted by
19092 posts

Or do I need a voltage convertor too?

That depends entirely on the input voltage requirements of the device you are plugging into it. The product does not convert voltages. If you plug something into the 115 grounding US receptacles, they will still be at 230V. Make sure the appliance can accept that voltage. For the USB sockets, you should be fine. They'll be 5V regardless.

Note, that the 115 volt, 3 prong US receptacles accept a "polarized" plug, i.e., with one power slot wider than the other, but European power is not polarized, so devices with polarized plugs should not be used with this power cord.

Posted by
11167 posts

Does it work to connect devices that work with 220v?

This power strip electrical rating is 125V. Please make sure your devices support 100V to 250V Dual Voltage. If your device are 110V or 125V only, you will need a voltage converter.

From the "questions" in the link OP provided.

I read that to mean - if your device is multi-voltage, it can be used with the product.

The items you describe should all be multi-voltage and not need a voltage converter.

Posted by
304 posts

The plug strip as shown should work fine for charging electronics; but make sure the charger is rated for 115-220 volts. As noted above, probably no good for high power stuff like hair dryers or even shavers. For shavers, the more modern european hotels I've been in recently had an outlet in the bathroom with a switch to select voltage, specifically intended for shavers.

I do note the plug strip above has two USB-C outlets, but they are only rated for 3 amps. Ths means they are not fully USB-C "Power Delivery" rated. They may charge your iPad, but it will be slow. Plan on bringing your regular laptop/tablet and even phone chargers and use the AC outlets.

Posted by
8130 posts

That unit will work, but the plug in will not. You will need an adapter for the U.K. and you'll need an adapter for Europe to get it to work. The adapters are available in luggage stores and many airports--and on Amazon.

Most modern cell phones, tablets, computers and cameras will work on either 110 or 220 volts.

Posted by
991 posts

Dont get an adapter and convertor confused. An adapter only allows you to plug into the source of electricity using the correctly shaped prongs. A converter is a larger unit that converts the voltage from say 230V to 110V. For iPhones, iPads, most cameras, etc they are all dual voltage meaning you only need an adapter so you can get the right shaped prongs into the electricity outlet. (also the UK outlets have an on/off switch). You will also need different shaped prongs for different countries. UK is a G adaptor, France C and E, Germany Type F, and Italy F, L and/or C. You can buy a pack of adaptors on Amazon.

f you do decide to take a hair appliance then it is a little more complex. You can buy straighteners/curling irons/hairdryers with dual voltage (best) but still need the adapter and may have to be on a lower setting. If you use a regular US 110V straightener or curling iron it will overheat and catch fire. In the UK the voltage is 230V so imagine that going into a 110V curling iron. It overheats fast.

Posted by
38 posts

The item below is intended for European travel as its specs say that it can handle 240V. The item in your link states that it can only handle 125V.
You still need to pay attention to the devices you intend to plug into this power strip - are they able to handle 240 volts?
You need to be looking for items that state that they are European power strips and that they can handle 240V.

Posted by
19092 posts

UK is a G adaptor, France C and E, Germany Type F, and Italy F, L and/or C.

The French Type E plug is a "3 prong" grounding plug and is almost identical to the German Type F Schuko plug. Only the grounding means (clips on the side of the Type F plug and a grounding pin protruding from the Type E receptacle), are different. Most, if not all, modern, grounding Schuko plugs incorporate both grounding systems, so those plugs can be used in any E or F receptacle all over the continent. Only Switzerland and older Italian construction don't use the Type E/F connections.

The Type C plug, called the Europlug, is a two pin, non-grounding plug that will fit in any receptacle (socket) on the European continent. It is limited by codes to 2½ amps (~575W), enough for a hair curler, not enough for a hair dryer.

Posted by
32201 posts

I'm not sure the product you linked in your post will be suitable for travels in Europe, as the specifications state "125 VAC, 60 Hz". For travels in Europe, the product that Mike linked is a more suitable choice.

As stated in the product information, this is not a voltage converter. The chargers for your iPhone and iPad will work fine on European voltages. However you didn't specify what type of camera you're using, so you'll have to check the nameplate data on your camera charger to ensure that it's also designed to work from 100-240 VAC. Look for a small label on the charger, and specifically the words "Input Voltage". If the camera is fairly recent, it's likely it will be configured for multiple voltages.

One other point to note is that although the Unidapt is equipped with three North American style grounded outlets, any products connected will NOT be grounded, as the supplied plug is not provided with a grounding pin. For the chargers mentioned, this shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by
17875 posts

Chargers for the gadgets in our lives like tablets, phones, cameras
adjust themselves to whatever juice you're giving them.

Not always. I toasted my daughter's portable game console charger in Europe. Close inspection said 110-120v 60hz. She now owns a European version, thanks to dad, that only says 220-240v 50hz.

Posted by
26 posts

We used this for France and this was perfect for a "regular" plug and phone charging (two simultaneously) at night. Hardly took up any room in the suitcase.

Our hotel hair dryer did have an auxillary US outlet which looked useful until we tried to plug something. Many US plugs have a slightly larger tip on one side and would not go into the hotel-supplied outlet.

Posted by
19092 posts

slightly larger tip on one side

As was pointed out in the link you provided, that "slightly larger tip" indicates the side of the appliance circuitry that is supposed to be connected to the neutral line on a polarized system. However, except for Switzerland, European power sources are not "specifically" polarized, i.e., although there is a neutral conductor, it could be on either line. Therefore, the safety feature required by UL and guaranteed by the polarized plug, is not reliable. For safety reasons, devices with polarized plugs, i.e., one blade wider than the other, should not be used in Europe, unless you are using a grounding (three pin) plug adapter in Switzerland.