Please sign in to post.

Verizon Ellipsis jetpack MHS800L Hotspot Has anyone used this model and did it work in Europe?

I am traveling to France and Italy in June and plan on taking my Verizon jetpack MHS800L. I called Verizon to make sure the device will work in Europe and I was told yes. I do not want to get there and find that it doesn’t. I have read not all devices work overseas nor am I finding any info re this specific model when I google search and thought I would ask here. Thank you.

Posted by
4794 posts

Sandy, we haven't used that particular phone, but we have Verizon phones capable of being used internationally without any additional hardware. One of our phones is a Samsung smart phone (not sure which one) and the other is an older flip phone. But the capabilities of your phone may be different than ours.

At any rate, anyone who needs us simply calls our regular number and the Verizon system finds us anywhere and connects the call. If we need to call back to the U.S. we simply highlight the number in our contact list, hit send, and the call goes straight through without any special instructions.

All costs are charged to our phones. We've never uses a "plan" -- just paid the going rate as we use them rarely when overseas.

We've found that simply calling Verizon's regular number or going into a brick and mortar location leaves a lot to be desired -- ask the same question of three people and you'll get four answers. However, Verizon has a dedicated Global Customer Service Department. They have always been very knowledgeable, helpful, and they will know the ins, outs, and capabilities of your phones. Give them a call and see if they can help. Number is 1-800-711-8300.

Posted by
3 posts

Hello TC, Thank you for reading and your reply. I failed to write it is a hotspot to be used with my iPad and iPhone for WiFi.

Posted by
4794 posts

Sandy, Still think I'd give Verizon a call. They have always been most helpful and much more astute about technology than I am.

Posted by
211 posts

I take the Verizon jetpack with me on our trips because I don't want to use wifi at places that aren't secured by a password. You will need an international calling plan for it to work. I had Verizon's $10/24 hr plan. Then it uses your data, and will cost $10 to use it. Last year, I didn't need to use it in Europe, as I had secured wifi available. Normally, I use it with my ipad. It did not work for me on an island a couple of years ago. I found out that I received the best info on it by calling Verizon's international service dept.

Posted by
5687 posts

I use my Android phone as a hotspot for my tablet and laptop whenever I go overseas. I guess if you already own one it makes more sense to try to use one of these hotspots than rent one, but if you already have a smart phone with Verizon service (or a foreign SIM) you could just use the smart phone instead and not lug an extra device to Europe.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for your input! I will contact the Verizon international department and test my phone as a hotspot as in the past it hasn't always worked as a hotspot. Would be nice to not have to take the jetpack. Thanks again.