Please sign in to post.

Travel adapter work in Norway?

Hello, I just purchased an Eagle Creek world travel adapter and wanted to make sure that it works when I am in Norway this summer. It says that it works with over 150 countries but I wasn't sure about Norway. If anyone could let know if I need to get a different adapter that would be extremely helpful.

Also, in regards to hair dryers, am I going to need to buy a converter as well or will I not need to worry about that necessarily? I will be traveling to London, Amsterdam and Norway and I remember someone telling me that the voltage could be a problem. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Posted by
5687 posts

The problem with hair dryers isn't just voltage - it's the wattage (that is, the power they consume). Hair dryers consume a lot of power. In some older buildings, they may even blow a circuit breaker or a fuse - and it may exceed the rating of a typical power converter.

Your Eager Creek adapter is rated to only 252 Watts. Your hair dryer will surely exceed that.

I highly recommend you buy a hair dryer once you get to Europe instead of taking one with you.

I'd guess that this adapter will work in Norway. If not, just buy a cheap one once you get there. I usually use a simple $2 or $3 2-prong adapter I bring with me (I have a few of them) - work fine in most countries in Europe but I've never been to Norway.

Posted by
5837 posts

Norway uses the two round pin "euro plugs" with typical wall outlet service being 220-240 volts 50 Hz. My Rick Steves (or any other) US to Euro plug adaptor works for my electronics.

Devices that heat such as irons need to be rated for 240 volts. Electronic devices typically are rated for 120-240v and will "automatically" step down to electronic device voltage such as 5v. See:

Posted by
16894 posts

The two--round-prong adapter for Continental Europe works in Scandinavia, too. On your trip, only Britain will be different, using the 3-square-prong side of your adaptor. This is not a convertor. If your device, such as hairdryer does not have a switch to choose between 110 and 220 voltage, then you would need a separate convertor, or a new hairdryer. However, most hotels do provide hairdryers, so I'd not bring one. Most modern computer and camera chargers are built to work with either current and say so on the device; see more at

Posted by
32241 posts


You could have accomplished the same thing at far lower cost by simply buying a couple of cheap Plug Adaptors such as this model.....,3681&T1=MEA251D

Having several will allow you to charge more than one device at the same time (at less cost), and it's not a huge hit to the budget if you lose one of them.

Regarding the Hair Dryer, you need to check the Input Voltage specifications of the dryer you're using. That will tell you if it's designed for multi-voltage operation and whether you'll need a Voltage Converter. The spec's will be listed somewhere on the device. The reality is that you probably won't need to pack along a Hair Dryer, as many hotels supply them these days, either in the room or by asking at the front desk.

"will I not need to worry about that necessarily?"

You will most definitely need to worry about that! If your Dryer is only designed for operation on 115 VAC, it will self destruct as soon as it's operated on European electrical system, possibly in spectacular fashion with lots of smoke and sparks. If you're lucky, it won't trip the power in a section of the hotel (in that case, you'll be REALLY unpopular with the hotel staff). I know how that works, as I've observed the "misadventures" of others.

Posted by
19146 posts

"Your Eager Creek adapter is rated to only 252 Watts."

Not sure where Andrew gets the 252 Watts rating, but the 2 pin, Type C or CEE 7/16 Europlug, is limited by code to 2.5 amps, so at 230V, that's 575 Watts, less than most hairdryers. More importantly, most American hairdryers, curlers, straighteners don't carry the CE mark and therefore shouldn't be used at all in Europe. Almost all "dual voltage" electronic devices today (ie, chargers) do have the CE mark. For American devices that have important safety provided by polarization (one blade of the US plug wider), important safety features are lost when it is plugged into non-polarized European power.

Posted by
5355 posts

Hard to be absolutely absolutely sure but it seems from the picture that despite it having no earthed pins the adaptor might accept earthed plugs. It also doesn't appear to be fused and there is no mention of this in the description. Both points would make this adaptor non compliant for UK use.

Posted by
1840 posts

I can't believe how convoluted the responses to this kind of question get every time it comes up. Seattle, all you have to do is a Google search: electrical adapters for norway.

Every hotel we have ever stayed in had a hair dryer in the room or at the desk. My wife has always found an available hair dryer when she needed it. If you need your own then buy it there. Simple!