Please sign in to post.

Sony NEX 7 vs. RX100 III

Since there isn't a specific photography section on the forum, I thought I'd post here.

I'm torn between these two cameras. I own the NEX 7 with 4 lenses. I'm thinking of trading in the NEX 7 with lenses for the RX100 III and some store credit. Here's why I'm considering the RX100m3:

-compact (compared to NEX7)
-nice zoom range (enough for me) in a collapsible package.
-and the zoom also beats the optics of anything they sell for the NEX7 (for the money)

I'm torn because the NEX7 isn't horribly bulky and I could travel with it and the 20mm zens. However, that lens isn't the greatest optically and not the most usable focal length. Any advice?

Posted by
51 posts

Without starting a Nex7 v RX100 debate...When traveling, I personally prefer the smallest package with the highest quality photograph. Unless you're getting paid to, carrying extra lenses blows. I use the Rx100 m1 without hesitation. The zoom range is limited, but is sufficient for framing a subject.

Posted by
1825 posts

For travel the smaller the better so I say the RX100. It's the only compact I'd rather have than my Canon S120 but for the price I'm happy with the Canon.

Posted by
635 posts

Agreed. I travel with three small, lightweight cameras ... a Canon S120, a GoPro Hero 2, and an iPhone. All three do both stills and video. I especially appreciate the S120's "hybrid" setting -- recording four seconds of 720p video and sound whenever a still photo is taken.

The images won't match the quality of a big DSLR with a bagful of lenses, but most deficiencies can be fixed with PhotoShop when I get home.

Posted by
697 posts

I find a reasonable zoom -- roughly a 24-70 ff equivalent -- to be pretty important when traveling, and so I would vote for the RX100. What other focal lengths do you have on the NEX 7? Are you currently using the NEX 7 for anything other than travel?