Please sign in to post.

Smartphone in Europe

I don't own a cell phone or a smartphone as of now. But I will be traveling to London and around England later this year. I started looking for a smartphone and Verizon is offering a smartphone, Samsung for free with a $55.00 per month for the calling, data and internet. I explained I wanted to use it in England. The saleswoman advised that I buy a Sim card in London and showed me where I would put the card in the phone.

My question, will the Sim card work, where do I buy the Sim card in London, how much would the Sim card be. I will be gone for three weeks. I understand there may be different prices so what kind of card would I need to buy? What else do I need to know that I am not asking. As I am new to this I would really apprecaite your advice and help regarding a smartphone and the Sim card so I can use the phone for maps and calling home or within London.

I have an IPod touch and a MacBook Pro so I understand the computer and apps. I only need the smartphone for maps and calling. I have no need for music or texting or even the camera as I have a camera and I have the IPod touch which I will bring along too.

Thanks for your help. I need to get this phone on Friday as they are having a special for a limited amount of time.

Posted by
7453 posts

SIM cards are easy to get in England, if in London, just go to the nearest CarPhone Warehouse, they will have options, install the SIM for you, then verify that it works.

One word of caution though, I have an old unlocked cellphone from ATT, that worked great. In Germany though, my Son had his Verizon phone that was still under contract, but unlocked, my phone took a SIM just fine, his had problems, after an hour at a cell phone store, they finally figured out some configuration settings that needed to be made in the phone to acknowledge a non-Verizon SIM Card...so, when you get the phone, get specific settings instructions to get the new SIM card to work.

When you get a new SIM, do keep in mind that you will then have a UK Phone number, not your US number. You can get data fairly cheap with local calling included (10 to 20 pounds) but you will likely need to add pounds to use for international calling. Explain what you need to the people at CarPhone Warehouse, they will set you up.

Posted by
15679 posts

I only need the smartphone for maps and calling.

One thought? My guess is that is you're already not needing a smartphone at home, you likely don't need one in Europe. We don't have them either and travel abroad (so far, anyway) with just my itouch and, more lately, our ipad as well. We communicate only occasionally with people at home, and then only via email. They know to contact us that way as well.

Wifi has almost always been available at the hotels, some coffee shops, etc. We still use old-fashioned paper maps as we find them easier to read than little screens, especially when needing to see a broad area. Anyway, with the exception of a few hotels which required a small payment for wifi, it's been a virtually free and easy method of keeping in touch.

We figure should it be absolutely necessary to make a call, we'll bite the bullet and do it from a hotel phone.

Posted by
1200 posts

Thank you Paul that was very helpful! I really needed that information.

Posted by
3580 posts

I don't have or use a smartphone at home. I travel with an IPad and find it useful. When a phone call is required, there often is not a public phone. I ran into this a few years ago and decided that buying a phone for that one call was a waste of money. I'm afraid the day will come when going without a smartphone will be akin to travelling without pants.

Posted by
14811 posts

Let's save you some money.

If you are an Amazon Prime member look at this phone--Blu R1 HD. It's the phone I use. Unlocked, Android, newest operating system, dual sim, only $60 with Amazon ads on the lock screen or $120 without. Works great.

Next, sign up with T-Mobile. Their plans include free unlimited 2g data internationally, free text messages internationally, and only 20 cents/minute for calls. It connects automatically wherever you are. You will get a text message welcoming you to the UK or any other country you are in.

I use T-mobile and the phone mentioned above. I have been to the UK, and all over Europe, numerous times and never had a problem.

You get a U.S. phone number and can cancel anytime you want. And no need to hunt around for a sim card.

I used to be a Verizon customer but switched and I'm saving money every month both in and out of the U.S. I even think my call quality is better with T-Mobile.

By the way, the Samsung isn't free. You have to be a customer for x number of months or if you leave have to pay off the balance.

Posted by
3200 posts

I use my iPod touch only when traveling. I download the maps and can use them off line. If I recall, it was Rome2Go...but I could check. It works fine, although I prefer a paper map. Also, I face time to call home or anyone with an iPhone. But I don't even call home now it seems, use IM or email instead. In the past I've purchased an inexpensive phone and sim in UK and Sweden. But those phones died after awhile here, and I just prefer my flip phone as my iPod does everything else. So, unless you are driving, you might want to consider no phone...as wifi is ubiquitous these days, depending on the country, I suppose.

But I'm sorry as I guess you didn't want to know this as I reread your questions. I just commented about this as I struggled with this question 2+ years ago and did buy a phone then, and it was good for meeting up with people I met who lived in the country...but I think my Sweden trip was an exception, and my hotel rooms had room phones that could have been used. Just a thought.

Posted by
2527 posts

You haven't convinced me you have a need. Travel can be happily accomplished without high tech electronics...this from a person who always takes his "smart" phone whenever departing the house.

Posted by
1161 posts

A month long SIM deal in the UK via one of the many companies that offer them would be £10 for 1gb or more of data, unlimited UK txt and hundreds of mins UK call time. You can mostly aslo add a little money to the deal that gives you 3c a min call rates to the US.
More or less very corner store stocks SIMS. as well as every high street will have the big phone providers
You can also buy off the shelf a basic cell phone for £15 at most.