Please sign in to post.

Sim Card Question

I'm going to Switzerland, Germany, Italy, and Austria for a 3 week trip. I'm going to buy a prepaid sim card with the usual stuff (some data, some texts, and some inexpensive calls per minute to the u.s...i've had problems with skype).

There's 1 day around the middle of my trip where I will have around a 25 minute phone call with my employer. I'm with AT&T and for that day I'm going to get the $10 passport so that it's easy on my employer and I (thank you to someone on this forum who suggested that!).

I know to put back in the prepaid SIM for Europe after I've had the call using my AT&T sim, but do I have to reregister the European sim and pay again? I know this is a stupid question to ask!

Posted by
39 posts

Boba - the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, because you are afraid someone will think it is stupid!! I have only had experience with a prepaid sim in the UK, but I think they would probably be similar. I actually save the prepaid card to use for my next visit (I visit my relatives every couple of years) and have not had a problem with using the sim after taking it out of the phone. I put it in the phone, turn the phone on and it does a few things and then is ready to go. The $10 passport with AT&T is great - we used it last year for a trip to New Zealand for just a couple of calls and texts - but mostly we used a prepaid sim in our unlocked phone. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Posted by
5687 posts

You shouldn't have any trouble with the European SIM. Your service will be tied to the SIM, not a phone - you could put it in a different phone too (if you wanted to) and keep using it. It won't cost you more to put the SIM back in later.

Not sure about the AT&T SIM, though, and their $10/day plan. I assume if you put the AT&T SIM in the phone and accept the $10/day for that day, you won't be charged again if say you swap the AT&T SIM out and back in again the same day. But it sounds like you don't plan to do that.

Posted by
122 posts

Thanks guys. I guess what I am asking is say my trip is 21 days. I have inside the phone a European sim card good for 30 days that includes everything so I would have no need to top off. On day 10 I need to make myself available from my employer on my regular American number so I would remove the European sim and insert the American one. Once the call is done and I put back in the European Sim do I just stay where I left off or did I essentially just end the plan and have to start a new one?

Posted by
5687 posts

Taking the European SIM out of your phone won't change or end the plan. You can remove it and put another SIM your phone, then put the European SIM back in your phone and continue as before.

Posted by
122 posts

Thank you. All this thinking is hurting my head.