Please sign in to post.

Replace my Nikon d90 with Sony rx100 ?

Hi !

We have a somewhat old DSLR (Nikon d90) that i've never really have learn to use. I use it 50% of the time in Auto mode. It seems a bit cumbersome to carry that camera since i,m not using it at is fukll potential.

I can get a good deal on a use Sony rx100 II. Would it be a good travel camera ? reviews seems good but I want to know opinions or people who really have use it.

Thanks !

Posted by
1068 posts

I have a Sony RX100 ver1. I am a photo nut, so generally take it as my "pocket" camera when I travel. On those trips I use it for strolls in parks, dining out, places I don't want to show an obvious camera etc. On a few trips I have taken it as my primary camera. There a few differences between v1 and v2 but they are pretty similar. I would have to say it is a great little camera. It has a larger sensor than the average "point and shoot", takes RAW (or RAW & jpeg if you aren't super comfortable with your post processing!), has good glass and makes good selections in auto mode (plus has a fair amount of flexibility.) Of course it isn't perfect. The camera does struggle a bit in low light and there are limitations on f stop, and mine only has a live view screen but those are my biggest 3 technical issues. I think they are a terrific line of cameras (V5 is out now.)

Posted by
16028 posts

Both my techie son and my non-techie husband switched from their Nikon dslr camera to a Sony, but it is a higher-level model, with a number like ox1000. My husband says it is amazing what if can do. He has several lenses for it, including a telephoto.

Posted by
41 posts

I have the Sony rx100 III, and find it an excellent compromise of size/weight versus photo capability. You can use it very simply in automatic mode and it takes great pictures, or you can learn and use the more extensive capabilities. I think it is a big step up in picture quality from the simple pocket-size point-and-shoot cameras. It's a LOT smaller, lighter and easier to carry than a DSLR! I'm not sure what features the earlier rx100 II that you are considering might lack compared to my slightly newer model, but I'm confident that it is a fine camera.

I bought my rx100 III largely for the pop-up electronic viewfinder which allows you to compose the picture even in bright sunlight, unlike the LCD screen on the back of most small cameras which wash out and become hard for my aging eyes to see in bright light. I suggest having 2 batteries charged for each day if you are going to take a lot of pictures.

-Ben

Posted by
1068 posts

To see the differences between Sony RX100 models go to: DPReview Go down to Camera compare, check "include discontinued", then type RX100 in the search box. All five models will be there. Click on each one, then move over to the "compare" button and click that. Another window will open and it will give you the major specs of the 5 versions of the RX100.

Posted by
2261 posts

I own both of those cameras, and I know how you feel. The D90 is a very capable camera if you choose to pursue it, and of course there's a selection of lenses available for it. It is certainly more work and a steeper learning curve than the Sony. There is a very good book by Darrell Young called Mastering the Nikon D90, it may be of interest.

The Sony RX100 line is very compelling, in particular as as travel camera. Excellent optics, large sensor-that's what get's it done!-I absolutely love my base model, and would consider leaving the DSLR at home for travel. Having said that, I would love to step up to the new-ish D500 body and use the several good Nikon lenses I have; that would not get left at home!

If you are after a highly capable, easy to use camera for travel, there is no better choice imho than one of the RX100 models. Are you able to handle and operate the used one? The base RX100 is usually around $449 new, from BH Photo, for example. Personally I'd be hesitant to buy that used if I was not able to see and touch it and evaluate it. Good luck!

Posted by
357 posts

Thanks for all those answers !

I'm sure that the d90 is a very capable camera, but we don't want to drag it this year. I've finally buy the used rx100 II. I could test it it before buying it and it seems perfect. There's only one small scratch on the screen (we have to carefully check to see it), it seem to work very well.

Now I have to learn how to use it at is best, I already have some basic understanding about shutter speed, ISO.....

Posted by
1068 posts

With the RX100, RX10 III andA7II-R I have (all Sony) I have purchased, for each, an electronic book on how to use them. I keep a copy on my phone when I travel so I can look questions up if I have them on the road. Sometimes, cameras can be pretty tricky! I think you will like the RX100, it is a pretty good camera!

Posted by
357 posts

Do tou have any suggestions for a good guide about the rx100 II?

Posted by
2261 posts

Yes, I use the RX-100 version of this guide: Photographer's Guide to the Sony RX-100 II by Alexander S. White, there is a Kindle version too. I find that the manual mode is super easy to use on this camera; get an ISO that works, set either shutter or aperture, and "dial in" the other til you have what you want on the screen. It's a fantastic low light camera! Enjoy it.

https://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Guide-Sony-DSC-RX100-II/dp/1937986187

Edit: Oops I see that question was probably for Ray, but there's my .02. Also, Ray, I am surprised to hear you say you feel it struggles in low light, for me that has been one of it's greatest strengths. Again, just my .02.

Posted by
1157 posts

bucephale

IMO, you will be very pleased with the RX100 II. Each newer version of the RX100 added new features, but the real magic of this camera comes from the 1 inch sensor. If you were not using the D90 to its full capacity, you will not lose any photo quality by switching to the RX100. If you take the time to read the above recommended books, you will find that there is a lot of upside and things to learn with the RX100.

I just came back from Hawaii. I took my Canon XS, an older DSLR, on vacation for the first time in many years. I had just added a 24mm f2.8 pancake which is a very sharp and compact lens. I also packed my Canon S120, a higher end compact but not the same level as an RX100. I enjoyed shooting the DSLR, but the compact camera is so much more convenient.

Posted by
357 posts

Thanks once agaun for those answers !

I'm really please to read all those positive comment about the camera, now I know that if my pics are not good I will be the one to blame !

I've buy an ebook for the camera (the Alexander White one) , now i will have to learn ow to use it at his best !

Posted by
1068 posts

As stated above, this camera does pretty well in auto mode. After that, it is fun to explore aperture priority and shutter speed priority. At first (in auto mode) the most frustrating thing is inadvertently changing a setting and not knowing how to get it back. Once I wanted to use the flash on my camera for fill light and opened it up. When I set it to always fire (fill-flash setting) the camera continually showed it as greyed out/unavailable and gave me the message it was unavailable with the current settings. It was only by consulting the book on my phone that I found out the fill-flash did not work while the camera was in silent mode (I turned that on so I wouldn't make noise in a small church.) Who knew? So yes, read the manual and take it with you on your phone! (ps. I too used the Alexander White book on the RX100)

Posted by
682 posts

I definitely would not want to lug my aging d90 around Europe, especially if I used it in Auto mode most of the time.

I have heard great things about the RX100. It's a capable camera without a doubt, and those who have them swear by them. I tried one once, and I found it a bit fiddly. The buttons were just too small, even for my tiny hands. The Panasonic LX100 is another option you may want to consider.

My current choice is a Micro 4/3 system, which gives me all the capability of my Nikon d90 but with much less weight.