Please sign in to post.

Mobile Passport

How many of you have used the Mobile Passport app for US Immigration? Do you like it?

Posted by
1019 posts

I used it the first time in April 2018 in Newark coming back from our RS Scotland tour. It was suggested to me by my united membership thru an email.

I LOVED it!! When we got off the plane, I immediately opened the app and filled out the info. Would not connect while we were at gate on the plane.

When we got to passport control (or whatever they call it). Sign pointing to Mobile Passport app people and rest of the people not using it had to go stand in a LONG LONG LONG...… line. No one in our line..... we walked right up the guy!

High has a very good experience!

Posted by
565 posts

There are several threads on the forum discussing this topic, you might want to go back and read those. Experiences seem to vary depending on the airport.
I've used it a number of times with varying success. When it works, it's great. Unfortunately we most often use it in Atlanta airport, where the signage is terrible or nonexistent. I learned the hard way to begin immediately asking every employee I encounter to direct me to the Mobile Passport line. Otherwise you may never find it.

Posted by
125 posts

Oh man, good to know about ATL mobile passport! We fly in/out of ATL (will be flying in from Italy next month).

Posted by
125 posts

Oh man, good to know about ATL mobile passport! We fly in/out of ATL (will be flying in from Italy next month).

Posted by
10221 posts

I used it in June flying into SFO. I was through passport control in 5 minutes or so. It worked great.

Posted by
996 posts

I have used it twice now, once at JFK and once in Atlanta. Both times I had to LOOK for the signs and then double check I was in the right place.

And both times it saved me TONS of time.

Make sure you've uploaded your personal info before you leave the US. It makes it much easier. Also, you can use the app for all family members traveling in your party, I think. I know that me and my other half can use just the one app on my phone.

Not everyone has had the same experience, so like anything in life - YMMV. But so far I'm good with the app.

Posted by
598 posts

Yes, we used it at Boston Logan last April. I was able to login and get what I needed before we even got off the plane. Once in the airport, the line was very short and moved quickly. I'll be happy to use it again.

Posted by
68 posts

Lots of great info on the mobile passport app and I will try it at JFK next month.
The only question I have concerns my VPN.
Do I have to shut it off before landing so it recognizes that I am in NY or does it matter that my IP shows a different location?

Posted by
2916 posts

I had considered using it but never followed through. I always fly in and out of Boston, and all US citizens now use the kiosks. It's conceivable I might have saved some time with MP, but it's been pretty quick the last couple of times anyway.

Posted by
43 posts

Paul, I doubt that you would have to turn off VPN. If your IP address is in another country, they will probably think you are a CIA agent.

Posted by
232 posts

Used in landing in Seattle last year. We were in our Uber 20 minuneys after landing. It’s great. You do need to make sure your airline and your airport both support it.

Posted by
545 posts

I used it in Newark airport last year and it was quick and easy. I did have to ask a few people to make sure I was in the right line. Will be using it in October when I arrive in Miami from Italy.

Trying to use the app today and it requires entry of your airport and airline, and my airline (Air Canada) is not listed.

Posted by
489 posts

ORD has been using it well over a year now. I think in the fall of 2016? not sure. They were one of the first and I think we were one of the first to use the app. We've used it 3 times and LOVE it. Yes, you might have to ask what is the line to get into, as the signage is not extensive. But I walk past every other line, ask one of the personal where to go and walk right up to immigration officer, or stand in a line of not more than 5. Then we sometimes need to wait for the luggage because we have gotten thru immigration so fast. Then we have a card for customs and once we have our bags we head to the special customs line, scan the phone again and out the door. Seriously is the most convenient method we've experienced.

Posted by
7 posts

I loved it! We just came back through O'hare and it was a breeze. upload all of your personal information before you leave. You must be within 4 hours of going through customs/immigration before you can finalize your journey, it gives you a code and you breeze right through.

Posted by
996 posts

What is the time savings between Mobile Passport and Global Entry?

Mobile Passport and Global Entry are two different birds. Global Entry should (should) always be the faster, shorter line. From what I have read on other forums, that's not the case 100% of the time. But as a general rule, Global Entry should always be faster.

Then again, Global Entry takes time to complete the application and $$ the file the form. Mobile Passport is free to any US passport holder.

Posted by
3996 posts

Thanks, aquamarinesteph.

How does having mobile passport work when I arrive at JFK for example and I don't have Global Entry? For those who don't have GE, I see the long lines zigzag lines to use the immigration kiosks and then perhaps speak with an agent if one is there. How does having mobile passport work when you arrive back at a US airport?

Posted by
13934 posts

Continental, my brother, SIL and I flew on Delta from Edinburgh thru JFK in June.

I had Global Entry and got thru in maybe 5 minutes.

He had downloaded the Mobile Passport for himself and SIL. You have to follow the Mobile Passport signs and they are not as plentiful as you would wish, lol. His experience was that my SIL's info (on his phone) cleared quickly while his did not which he attributes to "user error", haha. An agent took him over to a side room, took his passport back to an office, then shortly a manager came out, handed it back and he was done. He said the whole thing, including standing in line was about 15 minutes. There was a group of band roadies of 8 people who had been on our plane ahead of him otherwise, just them in line. It was the first time he'd used it and he felt it was pretty easy.

As someone says upthread, load all your information ahead of time then as you are walking off the plane you can send the information.

Posted by
1152 posts

I don't think a VPN would cause any issues, but I think the Mobile Passport app wants location to be enabled on your phone. That's how it knows the correct airport.

We've used it in Atlanta twice. It may still be necessary to ask for directions if you don't see what line to use. I know we asked both times. There may have been a sign, but we didn't see it, but after a long flight, we may have just missed it.

Posted by
5697 posts

Only problem I encountered in SFO was when I didn't wait long enough after I turned on the phone for it to convert to Pacific time before I activated Mobile Passport so the app thought the "four hours" of operating time had run out -- couldn't use it, had to stand in the regular lines. Other times Mobile Passport was excellent!