Please sign in to post.

Mobile Passport App

Mobile Passport comes from the State Department and is used when entering the US. You load your family's passport information into the app and have it accepted. When approaching the US, you fill out the customs declaration on the app. When the plane lands and you can use the cell phone, you hit the transmit key. When the app accepts your data, a Q/R code appears on the app.

When going through passport control you scan the app and hand your passport to the customs officer. Your passport is returned and you're done with passport control. You use the same Q/R code at customs.

It's been a while since I've used this. There are special lines for Mobile Passport users; I've been directed through the diplomatic line at Newark. I do have Global Entry but find Mobile Passport much easier. Better yet, it's free.

Posted by
9564 posts

I'm pretty sure it comes from CBP, not the State Department, as the CBP governs who can enter the U.S. and how.

Posted by
2745 posts

This assumes the Homeland Security folk bother to open the special lines.... Not a good assumption if flying through Atlanta!

Posted by
1097 posts

Worked perfectly at JFK. Did not work at all in ATL. YMMV

Posted by
985 posts

I was excited to use it on our return this winter but alas, when we landed at ATL it would not work -would not process our trip. I didn't see any special line for it either so maybe it wasn't even open. So this time, instead of having a personal interview to get back into the country like we had the first time, we had to check in via kiosks. Are there still other methods we might expect?

Posted by
8369 posts

I have never spent more than 10 minutes in immigration with global entry. I usually spend more time waiting for checked bags than in line in immigration. I'm glad that Mobile Passport is working for Ted, but you don't get the added benefit of TSA pre-check if Mobile Passport is all you have.

Posted by
400 posts

I used it last month when entering in Houston. Worked perfectly. No one in the Mobile Passport line, and the whole process took less than a minute.

Posted by
400 posts

I used it last month when entering in Houston. Worked perfectly. No one in the Mobile Passport line, and the whole process took less than a minute.