Please sign in to post.

kindle fire

I have read about Kindle fire is sadly no good at all for overseas use. I am wondering though since you are able to use WiFi on the planes does it work on the airlines.. Flying Delta. I would like to be able to get email for a couple of hours.. going and coming.
Thank you all

Posted by
2261 posts

Not true in my experience. I used my Kindle Fire in France without issues. Internet, email, no problem all functioned normally. i did not attempt to use wifi on flights.

Posted by
11294 posts

I believe the issue is that Amazon accounts are geo-blocked, and so you cannot access your US-based Kindle account to buy books when you are overseas. However, you can buy anything you want while in the US, then access already-purchased books overseas. Anything already downloaded on the Kindle would be accessible anywhere (music, documents, etc). And you can use the tablet functions of the Kindle Fire anywhere with Wi-Fi (web browsing, etc).

Posted by
91 posts

Thank you all for replying . I will try taking mine now, I do know there are different versions "newer" mine is 4 years old. Hoping to Skype but to be able to send receive email's would help a lot. I have read on Amazon that they are going to sell a Kindle for EU countries coming out soon and that the USA Amazon Kindle does not work has blockages some ? apps , not sure but it stated overseas on their website. Hope I can access since I am going take, "one more thing ".. and try it.
Thanks all ,
G

Posted by
731 posts

I've taken my Kindle Fire on several European trips (Amsterdam, Bruges, Paris, Munich, Salzburg) and had no problems whatsoever using email. I've also purchased movies from amazon.com (Midnight in Paris!) with no problems. You will just need to connect to the local wifi and you'll be fine. I've never used it on the plane, as I'm usually watching the shows the airlines provides or sleeping!

Posted by
24 posts

Used ours without problem in both London and Paris. Placed an order on Amazon while in Paris so it would arrive when we returned. Worked just like at home.

Posted by
91 posts

Dawn , I did not have a Kindle when overseas the last time. Has anyone Skyped I am now wondering but if that does not work email will be a blessing .
Thanks for writing
G

Posted by
731 posts

Gail, I have never skyped in Europe, but then again I've never skyped at home either! Hopefully someone can chime in to say if this works or not. All I can vouch for is email and it works great. That is how hubby and I communicate when I travel solo.

Posted by
91 posts

Dawn , I Skype sometimes using my Kindle at work , computers / Kindle at home with friends in England/ Wales plus in the USA.. It's wonderful and no extra chargers just log on. Phoning is a charge though but you don't need that if you Skype. Yes , I am going solo too so I do want to send him an email every few days.

Posted by
2261 posts

Gail, I have used Whatsapp to make no cost calls too (in Wifi), works great and it's a texting platform too.

Posted by
195 posts

My Kindle Fire works great in Europe!! I have used it to send emails, check bank accounts (only using secure Wifi connex that has a password....NOT on plane or in Starbucks!), goggle info and maps, have even ordered ebooks while there. No issues at all. I do usually download several books for the trip, as it does seem to take longer to download them.....otherwise it works as well as it does here. I also have a backup charger (Anker) in my carry on tote that is helpful for those long plane rides, when my Kindle gets low on power.

Posted by
1174 posts

Ever since I downloaded a couple of movies for a flight to LHR, then found out the two I had on my Kindle Fire were playing for free on the airplane I just watch the free stuff on the plane. As an aside, we once fell for the "Free" WiFi at a hotel in the UK only to find out that the WiFi company was named "Free WiFi" and it was NOT free at the hotel. Just another gotcha while traveling. It's just part of the adventure.

Posted by
4375 posts

A Kindle is just a fancy Android tablet, and mine worked just fine in France and Switzerland. As noted, if you try and use Amazon Prime to watch TV shows while you're over there you will probably be geo-blocked. And perhaps movies too. So download what you need before you leave (books too) and then they'll be on the device and you won't need wifi.

Airplane wifi is an expensive and frustrating scam and you shouldn't try to use it.