Please sign in to post.

Google Photos Storage Caps June 2021

Hi forum friends,

I happened upon this story today. Google will be instituting a storage cap on its free photo storage service. Doesn’t start until next year and will still be a fairly generous 15 GB for free. Details in the article. Should be plenty of time to investigate alternatives if you need to.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/11/21560810/google-photos-unlimited-cap-free-uploads-15gb-ending

Posted by
25 posts

Inevitable, for a "free" service. The old saw about "getting what you pay for."

Pretty much all the "free" online photo storage services have disappeared entirely, have become significantly limited, or have gone to a paid model.

If you are already paying for amazon's "prime" suite of services, it's worth knowing that unlimited online photo storage is included (at least as of now...someday they probably will add some caps, but they are the big kahuna in online storage for everything, and you are paying them, so the day when they make a move similar to google's may be a while in coming).

Posted by
1220 posts

This is good to know. I'm sure I've received an email about it but haven't read it. I will now.

Posted by
4856 posts

Got the email yesterday. I don't do videos, only photos, and so far have less than 1 Gb saved there. Most of mine are backed up on a second hard drive. So I'm pretty sure I'm good for quite a while.

Posted by
27111 posts

Well, it's a good thing I don't count on cloud storage. I see that I have over 41 GB of photos from last year's trip. It was a very long trip, but still. Can you tell I don't cull the photos as I go?

Posted by
11156 posts

I downloaded the photos in my Google Photos yesterday. They sent me a link to pay $1.99 a month for more storage but that isn’t necessary until next June.

Posted by
11156 posts

I signed into Google Photos for first time in years and ma y “lost” photos are there! For $1.99 a month it is much cheaper than Apple’s storage. I had Picasa years ago and thought those photos were gone.

Posted by
8 posts

I think that the time has come that one should start understand the concept of "Photo Hosting" and explore options like cloud vps. Its like $100 an year.