Please sign in to post.

Driving

So I will be renting a car and driving with my 92 year-old mother. Do not want to rent a GPS from the rental company because it's too expensive .
1.should I purchase a Garmin or a TomTom and then have them map my travel out.
2. I have T-Mobile can I purchase a GPS on there is that better.
3. I don't have a problem driving in Europe I've done it before but previously my husband drove and my daughter had a GPS for the car I don't know what it was and she had it mapped out for us but now I'm a little paranoid because I'm driving with my 92-year-old mothe
Renting the car from Rome driving to my dad's home town which is 5 hours from Rome and then from there I'm driving to Lucca which is another 5 hours after I've been to my dad's hometown for a while I just don't want to get lost what is the best solution for me I know I would like to get something on my phone but I wouldn't mind buying a tom tom or a Garmin please tell me
But I should do.

Posted by
199 posts

If you don't want to use your phone, I like Tom Tom. Far better than the Garmins I had before, for the UK anyways.

Google maps are free, and if you can download all the areas you are going before you leave, you don't even need a data connection to use it.

Tom Tom is easier.

Posted by
6334 posts

I'm a 68 year old woman who recently spent 3 weeks in Scotland by myself, and had a rental car for 2 1/2 weeks. The car rental agency gave me a Nav sat device for free in the car, but I wound up using my phone's GPS (Google maps) instead as I liked it better. It never got me lost and I never had any problem with at all.

The advantage is that it's free and it works. Is there some reason you don't want to use the built in GPS in Google maps on your phone?

Posted by
10227 posts

I use my phone, where you can use Google maps, Apple Maps and Waze to get you where you want to go. Last year over 16 weeks of travel (2 trips) I had 5 rentals cars. On each one I was able to connect to Apple Car Play and use the larger screen for navigation purposes. Prior trips I brought a magnetic car mount, but I think all newer vehicles have the ability to access Apple Car Play or Android Auto. If using this system don’t forget a cord to connect the phone to the vehicle.

Posted by
7303 posts

My husband & I rented a car in June during our two weeks in England & Wales. We have T-Mobile and used iMaps connected to the car through Bluetooth. It worked very well. Our T-Mobile plan gives us unlimited data in Europe, so that was a free option for us.

Posted by
5592 posts

I love maps.me. It's a free app on my phone. I can download maps when I have wifi and use offline quite similar to GPS. It provides spoken step by step instructions.

Posted by
62 posts

Is there a way to check with the rental car company before your trip whether GPS will be included? If so, that may help you decide. Then there is the matter of figuring out how to program it, whether you're comfortable with that learning curve, etc. We rented a car in France in May, and it came with GPS. No additional fee, it was just part of the rental car package. Not sure how much one can generalize our experience to other European countries (or rental car companies), but it might be worth investigating.

If you have (or will have) a data plan on your phone while in Italy, you will have a Plan B to assist with navigation in the event that the car's GPS doesn't meet your needs (or is non-existent). We were not savvy about using the GPS in our rental car, and were rather annoyed that there was no guidance about how to program it for our destinations, etc. In hindsight, we should have done better research and/or nudged the Hertz staff to help us understand how to use it. (You can probably tell that we drive older cars that pre-date GPS! And I am probably dating myself! MaryAnn, you and I are likely close in age, based on your mother's age...)

I suspect GPS is becoming more and more common in rental cars, especially given that so many rental car fleets had to be replenished after selling off earlier inventory during the pandemic, when no one was traveling or renting cars. It had been 10 years since my last car rental in Europe, and I was reminded just how much technological leap-frogging had occurred in that time.