Please sign in to post.

cell phones

I could use some help figuring out how best to use our cell phones without costing us an arm and a leg.
Who can help me out there?
Here are my stats:
1. Have AT&T smart phones
2. Will be travelling for a month in Belgium, Poland, Czech republic & Amsterdam
3. Want to be able to text each other if separated.
4. Want to be able to call our accommodations for checking in.
5. Want to be able to receive emails (not calls) from home, in US.
6. Want to be able to use phone apps for maps too.

ATT has offered me a passport plan, that costs between $40 & $120 per phone for unlimited texting and $.35 to $1.00 per minute for calls, and each level has different mega bytes of data. It is a strict 30 day only plan. And not sure the cost is effective if the things listed above are the only things I need. Anyone have some input on this??? Leaving in April.

Posted by
8375 posts

I've use ATT passport plans for cell phone service in both Europe and in Africa and been quite pleased. I paid $40 for 30 days of coverage. Unlimited texts and the ability to send and receive photos through texts without any problems was extremely handy. I never used the phone to make any calls and the call I did receive cost me $1. I tend to use wireless and not data when traveling. I use wireless at the hotel or in different locations during the day for email and have never felt that this wasn't enough. I had no difficulty staying under the data limit that was included in the plan. High data users may have more of a challenge with this. There are several map aps where you preload your maps and it doesn't require you to use data to use the aps on the phone.
For me, the $40 passport plan was the perfect fit and worth every penny.
I love the passport plan because there is no worrying about sim cards or a different phone number. If any of my family (especially my elderly parents) needs to get ahold of me in an emergency they simply need to dial the same number that they usually do. I find that this makes it easier for me to relax and enjoy the trip.

Posted by
14507 posts

I use the 30 day plan. Your # 4...do that from a pay phone/internet cafe. I don't use the cell to make calls in Europe, only to the US in emergencies. I don't find it cost effective unless you text, I don't.

Posted by
1005 posts

Get the lowest cost AT&T plan--$40/month. Use your phone's Wi-Fi settings at the hotel. Use data when you are on the road or wandering around town, and you will very likely not use up you data limits. For a map app, use Google Maps. Download the maps you need while on Wi-Fi. Then you can turn off all data and still navigate on Google Maps offline. It even gives your voice directions while you are offline, see https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838.