Please sign in to post.

Carbon Monoxide detector for travel

Wasn't sure where to put this query.
We are renting apartments in Italy through Air BnB. None of them have a carbon monoxide detector.
Can anyone recommend a small travel detector to take with us?
Thx

Posted by
23178 posts

I doubt if many people use a traveling CO detector. I would hit Amazon if see if that is a possibility. The big issue I see is that the detector has to be either battery operated or a dual voltage system. I would go for the battery.

Posted by
7181 posts

With a likely CO incident in the Caribbean, I can't say your fear is unfounded. I'd just stay in a hotel, because I disapprove of AirBnB. Note that CO detectors only last 10 years. At least they're not radioactive like some smoke detectors. Please take out the battery while flying.

Posted by
1936 posts

I know Amazon sells portable detectors. The only issue I've seen is the battery drains quickly.

Posted by
870 posts

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M48BH30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
I bought one for my husband and me and another (stocking stuffer) for my son and daughter-in-law. It does not use lithium batteries and can also be plugged in with batteries for backup. We put it in our carry-on luggage with batteries removed. You'll need a converter if traveling to a different country. We've used ours in England and our son used his in Portugal.

These incidents persuaded me:
https://www.cbsnews.com/sacramento/news/deadly-carbon-monoxide-dangers-at-vacation-rentals/
https://abcnews.go.com/US/bodies-american-family-killed-gas-poisoning-mexico-coming/story?id=54001040
If there is no gas, though, you might not need it.

Posted by
17649 posts

Lots on Amazon. The battery powered ones i looked at dont state the battery life. Some online articles say the 9v ones should last 6 months. But the Amazon ones I saw were AAA powered, so probably shorter, but I would hope a month at least.

Suki has a point, not very useful in an all electric apt. I love AirBnb's and my 2 favorite in Europe are all electric.

I love gadgets so I like the idea. But do keep in mind that there are 5.6 million airbnb listings and if they averaged 50% occupancy that would be 1000 million (1 billion) guest nights a year and you found 2 stories of CO poisoning.

First buy the money belt and stun gun .... oh and lottery tickets.

I may still get one for S&G's

Posted by
870 posts

I believe that it is prudent when renting a flat/house to know if that facility has gas. If so, I want a carbon monoxide detector (AND smoke detector in any facility).

I checked the Amazon listing that I posted here and, yes, it is still for sale at $10 less than before.

Posted by
10122 posts

A lot of Europe is phasing out gas stoves and heating. In France new gas stoves are no longer for sale, outlawed due to pollution even when not in use. People have been installing induction cooktops for over ten years. So check your lodgings. You may be surprised.
PS I love cooking on induction.

Posted by
17649 posts

Part of the reason, to get off track a bit, is that the Code most of Europe utilizes no longer accepts a gas meter in a living space. In a typical Flat there really aren't any options and thats fine until you decide to renovate then you must be compliant. Hence my flat is all electric complete with Induction Hob. Cost of heating increased at least 30% in the process.

Nothing wrong with taking along a CO detector. Cheap insurance and you never know. But my luggage is heavy enough already.

Posted by
583 posts

As it happens, I’m traveling in Italy right now with a Sensorcon Inspector INS2-CO-01 portable carbon monoxide detector:
https://sensorcon-sensing-products-by-molex.myshopify.com/products/inspector-co-ins2-co-01?variant=31730745344070

I decided to bring one after reading a NYT article about the risk. I settled on this particular model because of good reviews, assembled in USA. I’m happy with it. Smaller than a deck of cards, weighs 4 ounces, battery life at least 2 years. Bought direct from company.

Posted by
4324 posts

In California gas stoves, water heaters and furnaces are about to become extinct. I'm sure the electric grid can easily handle the increased demand.

Posted by
6231 posts

A lot of Europe is phasing out gas stoves and heating. In France new gas stoves are no longer for sale, outlawed due to pollution even when not in use. People have been installing induction cooktops for over ten years. So check your lodgings. You may be surprised. PS I love cooking on induction.

Bets, I'm with you. When I was still working, I had to call the fire department one night when my carbon monoxide detector went off, and they told me that gas stoves can emit quite a bit of carbon monoxide. Luckily it wasn't a lot but when I retired the following year and moved, I decided to get an induction cooktop and I have never been happier. I don't have to worry about carbon monoxide leaks and it's incredibly easy to cook on. The only negative (imo) is that you need specific cookware for induction, but they are easy to find and most pans are labeled as "induction ready."

Posted by
490 posts

In 6 weeks of travel I saw a gas hot water heater exactly once - no gas cooking. In that case there was a CO dectector. There was also a window in the bathroom - which I left securely open - every place we rented - particularly apartments had secure top opening windows

Posted by
7181 posts

I just want to mention that we were repeaters at a small Caribbean resort with electric water heaters. We reported that we felt a tingle when strongly gripping the shower faucet. They investigated, and found a fault.

Be careful what you wish for.

And remember that there are many more one- star "flames" than 3-star "satisfactory." You can't make decisions based on (real or metaphorical) stories about "my best friend's cousin's nanny's sister."