Please sign in to post.

Best eSIM for Scotland Summer 2023

Hi all...used Orange Travel Holiday Zen eSIM last year in Scotland with zero problems for both GPS Google Maps and for local calls (which proved handy on multiple occasions to call ahead to restaurants and our lodging when originally thought data only would be best). This year we have switched to T-Mobile Magenta Max which I know provides international service but at very slow speed. I know we had excellent service with Orange even in remote parts of Skye and the Highlands but curious if there are any other providers who might work or have better deals?

WhatsApp works fine for a quick call or text back to the States so I'm really only looking for enough minutes and data for 2 1/2 weeks in Scotland.

Posted by
6293 posts

I'm in Scotland right now and have been using the T-Mobile Magenta Max int'l plan and have had absolutely NO problems at all. The speed has been fine and service is great - in fact, I've been on four islands so far and have yet to lose service or even to have weak service. Seriously, it's been better than I could have imagined.

But if you want an eSIM for backup, there's plenty out there - I used Airalo last year before I switched to T-Mobile, and their eSIMs are generally good.

Posted by
12 posts

Mardee,

Good to know. Haven't been on TMo long so is the Magenta Max International the same as the regular Magenta Max? Are you using your phone for GPS as well as voice and data? I know there is an option to add data and unlimited calling but if Magenta Max is working for you it will probably be fine for us as long as the data piece will provide GPS service without problems.

Posted by
6293 posts

Kathy, I didn’t pay anything extra. I’m using my phone for data and GPS and I rented a car for 16 days so I’m using GPS a lot. And like I said I have not had any problems at all. In fact I’m really amazed that the service has been so good.

I’ve only had to make one voice call, and that worked fine. I’ve used FaceTime audio to call a couple of people and that worked fine as well. I use Wi-Fi when I can but when I don’t have it, I get the same service for the most part.

And I’m not sure what you mean by the Magenta Max international plan. I’m assuming that’s what I have since I have magenta max and I’m using the international plan. I didn’t need to do anything ahead of time. When I flew there and landed, I got a text message from T-Mobile welcoming me to Scotland.