Please sign in to post.

Another SIM card question

Last year, my husband and I got new phones. They are under contract/"locked." So I cannot take advantage of eSIMs. I'm considering taking my old phone and buying a physical SIM card at Vodaphone in London. I'll be in the UK for 10 days so I don't need a lot of GB. I don't really want to take the old phone because it's heavy and I'm bringing my new phone for US use as well as photography while on vacation. The camera in it is excellent, better than my Panasonic that I bought in 2016, and better than the old phone.

Is this the best way to go about doing this, or is there another possibly easier way?

Thanks!

Posted by
15079 posts

If your phone is locked, it won't accept another company's SIM card. You can call your phone company and ask them to unlock it.

Or, see if your company has an international plan.

Posted by
641 posts

Hi, Frank II--They do have an international plan, to the tune of $10 a day. Too much!

I think my husband called them the other day and they won't unlock the phone as long as it is under contract. My old one is not under contract--that's why I think I'll have to bring it with me.

Posted by
569 posts

I'm guessing you have Verizon. Is it an option to pay your phone off to get it unlocked? Otherwise if it were me I would take the old phone but get a giffgaff SIM card. They will send to you in the U.s ahead of time and you can have it set up ready to go before you arrive in London.

Posted by
641 posts

It's Xfinity, which I believe is a division of Verizon. The phone(s) are free with the contract, so there really isn't a way to pay them off. I already suggested that to my husband. Thanks for the Giffgaff tip!

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Sandra. One option is to forego cell service while you are there. You can still use email, internet and other phone functions via wifi at your hotel, or other places when out and about. Have a great trip!

Posted by
641 posts

Thanks, Bob. That is an option I'm keeping in mind. But I use a couple of apps to figure out bus and Tube routes when I'm out and about. I"m not sure how easy it will be to find WiFi hotspots. Thanks for your good wishes!

Posted by
1229 posts

I would bring the old phone
Giffgaff are fine,I have been with them.since the start.
They currently have a double data offer on ,40GB for £10.

If needs be, Argos have simfree smart phones from £40 up a perfectly servicable ones at £100.
I bought this HonorX6A a couple of days back.
I believe giffgaff allow tethering so you could use your "uk" phone as a wifi hotspot for your main phone.
Only takes a couple of clicks