Please sign in to post.

240 voltage ok?

I have a travel blow dryer that switches between 120 and 240 volts. Will that be fine? I'm assuming all I need would be the plug adaptor? Can someone confirm this?

Thank you!!

Posted by
11126 posts

Yes, it will work fine. So, yes all you need is a plug adaptor for wherever you're going, UK or Continental Europe.

Posted by
11126 posts

Obviously you need to switch it to correct voltage before turning it on. I have one of them and never had any problems.

Posted by
8889 posts

And depending on which country or countries you are going to, you need a different adapter. Different countries have different sockets.

And, does it have a 2-pin or a 3-pin plug. 2-pin and 3-pin adapters are different.

But, the good news is if you can switch it to 240V, then all you need is an adapter.

Posted by
4032 posts

I have used cheap ones and found they only operate on low volume -- no gale-force styling jobs.

Posted by
416 posts

Lol at gale force styling jobs.

It's a 2 pronged plug, with one prong a little larger than the other. I already switched it over to 240 before I threw it in my pile to pack.

We'll be in Germany if that makes a difference.

Edited to ask if anyone has used the RS ones that are sold on his website. They're only a buck each. Or would any S&H kill the deal??

Posted by
879 posts

Radio shack, Walmart, Target should all have them. Probably only worth getting RS's if you are ordering something else from him.

Posted by
32683 posts

It's a 2 pronged plug, with one prong a little larger than the other.

That means that the manufacturer felt the need to protect the user by taking advantage of the polarization facility in North American wiring. That isn't generally available in Germany. It certainly isn't possible with the cheap two wire adapters generally available.

Not having that protection increases your risk, but the dryer will work, but as mentioned above dual voltage ones like that will only work at slow speed.

Your decision as to whether the risk is one that you are comfortable taking is entirely yours....

Posted by
19086 posts

It's not that simple.

If your blow dryer has a "grounding" (2 blades and round pin) US plug and you use an adapter like this, you're OK.

If the blow dryer has a "polarizing plug", like this, do not use it anywhere in Europe, except Switzerland. Then, only with a three pin adapter that accepts polarizing plugs.

If your blow dryer draws more than 2½ amps (600W) do not use an adapter like this.

Posted by
19086 posts

It's a 2 pronged plug, with one prong a little larger than the other.

That's a "polarizing" plug. The safety features required by UL will likely be defeated in Europe (maybe not in Switzerland).

Posted by
11126 posts

Al hough I own a dual voltage hair dryer, I have never found any apartment or hotel all over the world wihout a hair dryer.

Posted by
32198 posts

Judy,

You should be able to find two pin Euro Plug Adaptors in local stores such as WalMart, Radio Shack, Target or luggage & travel stores. No need to spend a fortune on having them shipped by mail order.

Posted by
19086 posts

ACE hardware carries them. Get the one (2-pin) for Southern Europe.