Please sign in to post.

220 volt to 110 volt converter 2000 watt

Can you recommend a voltage converter (2000 watt) that is versatile and trustworthy? Have gone on Amazon and read comments and so many of the negative comments state that the converter that they purchased destroyed the item that they were trying to use. I have a styler that is NOT dual voltage and runs on 600 watts. PLEASE only recommend a converter that you have had experience with. Thank you much.

Posted by
4862 posts

Any converter/transformer worthwhile would weigh upwards of 17 pounds, and might be too big to fit in a suitcase. Do you want to lug that around? And for the price of a converter, you could buy a dual voltage styling appliance that would only need a plug adapter.

Posted by
23269 posts

There are basically two types or classes of voltage converters. Under 50 watts and over. The over 50 tend to be heavy and expensive. The reason for negative comments is that someone buys a "cheaper" converter limited to 50 watts and tries to use a hair dryer -- and it melts or blows a fuse in a hotel. My strong recommendation is either buy a styler in Europe that is designed to run on 220/240v OR buy a dual voltage in the US. However, keep in mind that a dual voltage may not preform that well when used in the 220v mode. Long technical reason. Just doesn't get as hot. Personally I would not take a converter with you. Buy what you need when you get there. Everyone will be happier. And you probably will save money and not damage your current styler.

Posted by
7312 posts

I don't own a styler, and I am male. But it would be useful to know if the device has a motor, or if it only "heats up".

I ask because a device that does nothing but heat up is likely to work with a cheapo "converter" that consists of nothing but a big diode (semiconductor power device.) That produces a chopped waveform that destroys some types of motors, but simply halves the heating effect of a curler or water-boiler. Such "converters" are pretty cheap, and pretty light. They tend to get hot themselves while in use, so don't leave clothing over them.

Hope that that helps. I know it's kind of technical. But you are desperately hoping for an answer other than "no".

Posted by
4521 posts

OP has written travel direction is from Europe/Asia to North America, Japan, etc.

Posted by
19092 posts

I cannot recommend a 2000W converter that I have had experience with because I haven't taken a device drawing more than 50W to Europe in over 30 years, and then it was dual voltage hair dryer that didn't need a voltage converter. However,

so many of the negative comments state that the converter that
they purchased destroyed the item that they were trying to use.

I can understand what their problem was. As Frank mentioned, there are two types of converters, low wattage ones, transformers, for appliances using 50W or less, and high amperage ones, that electronically limit the output to 120V. Unfortunately, the high amperage converters, those that just "chop" the output to 120V, produce a wave form that can damage or destroy electronic devices.

So, I expect that those people who complained that the converter destroyed the item they were trying to use, were trying to use for their electronic devices a converter that was not limited to 50W.

In your case, using a hair straightener/curler that draws 600W, there is probably no electronics involved, just heating elements, so you could safely use an electronic converter that wasn't limited to 50W.

However, there is a safety issue with using a straightener/curler in Europe. Notice the plug. I has one blade wider than the other. That is called a "polarized" plug. It is mandate by organizations such as UL to ensure that a certain side of the plug is always attached to the "neutral" socket. However, most European power is not polarized, so using a US polarized plug in Europe is a safety (fire) hazard.

Don't take a device with a polarized plug to Europe!

Posted by
32212 posts

Lee provided a good synopsis of the different types of voltage converters. Typically 50 watt or less use transformer conversion, while those that have a capability of 2000 watts use solid-state conversion.

I would strongly suggest that you check the manufacturer's website for your styler to determine whether they recommend using their product with voltage converters. Some manufacturers specifically prohibit using voltage converters, mostly due to the fact that the products may contain electronic circuits that are sensitive to frequency and/or they may require a stable sine wave. I've checked a few manufacturer's websites in the past, and have seen the warnings. AFAIK, none of the commonly available travel voltage converters can change frequency.

My suggestion..... buy a styler that's designed for use on 230 VAC electrical systems when you arrive in Europe. You could also check local travel stores in your area or online sites like Amazon, as I'm sure there are some available.

Posted by
1666 posts

Same advice applies. Leave your styler at home. By a new one on arrival in 110V territory.

Posted by
1323 posts

Read the title again

I did. "220 volt to 110 volt". Looks to me like OP expects 220 volt in the socket and wants 110 volt in their styler (whatever that is).

But I agree with the recommendation: Leave it at home and buy a new one if it is really neccesary.

Posted by
8147 posts

My wife has used a Conair curling iron for the past 25 years that doesn't require electricity. It runs on a small battery with a cartridge that's akin to a cigarette lighter. They just work great.

Most people today don't require electrical converters as most cell phones, tablets and laptops run on dual voltage--110 & 220.

Posted by
32776 posts

I don't where some get the thought that gouzounis is travelling to the United States and wants to work 220 on 110. This their only post in 3 years and previous ones speak about taking something from the US to Italy. But I certainly see nothing to indicate what's happening this time.

I can't recommend a specific converter because mine were all bought at Frys 26 years ago and I only pull out the 2000w one when I am cooking on an old US griddle (rarely). The monster is nearly a foot square and weighs - well I don't know how much but it is exceedingly heavy. I haven't weighed it but I guess 40 or 50 pounds. We shipped them in a container.

I would never do that for a short trip. There are more cost effective solutions, including buying a styler here.

If you absolutely must have the one you have you might contact US military bases and see if they have a swap shop with somebody selling a converter as they head back stateside.

Posted by
19092 posts

most cell phones, tablets and laptops run on dual voltage--110 & 220.

Most USB chargers accept 100V (Japan) - 240V (Australia), the full range of voltages in the world. They aren't dual voltage. That would mean only accepting 2 voltages, like 110V and 220V. They accept a range. They are multi-voltage.

It used to be that dual voltage devices, like hair dryers, had a switch that would put the heating elements in parallel, for 110V, or series, for 220V.

What the OP mentions as a "styler" sounds like a hair straightener/curler. A lot of them draw 600W. I once took one of these apart (got it at Goodwill for $1) to see why they needed a polarized plug. The inside was simple, no electronics, just a heating element and a one pole switch, which needed to be on the "hot" source line (hence the polarized plug). There was no reason that the one I took apart could not be used on a high amperage, solid state converter.

I think I have seen some curler/straighteners on the internet that do have electronics, but those are solid state converters so they can be used directly (without a converter) on 100-240 VAC.

Posted by
23 posts

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions. My conclusion is to leave the appliance at home.

Posted by
531 posts

What is a styler? Like a crimping or flat iron? Probably cheaper and easier just to buy one once you arrive at your destination. I don't even bring a hair dryer when I go to Europe because most hotels have them. The only thing I bring is an adapter so I can charge my phone and mobile charger.

Posted by
32776 posts

thanks for returning with your decision. It sounds like a prudent one.