Please sign in to post.

Covid test before returning to the US

Greetings,
I am traveling on a RS tour to Switzerland at the end of August. When returning to the US from
Zurich, should I take the requisite one day before travel covid test, near my hotel in Zurich or at the
Zurich airport? Does anyone have any experience they can share with me to make this as
painless as possible. Thank you

Posted by
8124 posts

Most European airports have test centers. I'd use them unless you have a 6:00 am flight when there's a chance the test center has not yet opened.

When we returned from Germany, the only Covid certificate requested coming or going was at a Berlin sit down restaurant. But had we not got tested, they would have surely checked us. Thankfully the test center was 50 yards from our hotel @ 20 Euros.

Posted by
1802 posts

I don’t have any direct experience with this but will share my thought process. I would get tested in Zurich the day before. There are 2 main reasons so here goes.

• I’d be concerned about long lines and insufficient capacity at the airport. So for me it would be stressful trying to determine how much lead time to build into the whole check in process.
  • If I were to test positive I would want to start the clock ticking on getting a Covid recovery certificate. Testing the day before gets my one day closer to getting home.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/covid19/getting-documentation-of-recovery-if-you-test-positive-while-overseas

Posted by
2700 posts

You are on a RS tour. They have this figured out. Before tying yourself in knots figuring this out call their office and they will tell you what they have arranged.

Posted by
6788 posts

As someone who is facing the exact same questions right now (albeit on the opposite side of the world), here’s my approach:

I’m currently in Bangkok. My return flight back to Seattle departs 23 hours from now.

I test myself every day now (and I will be tickling my nose literally as soon as I finish posting this), so I’ve been watching carefully leading up to the return flight (and being increasingly careful about masking, distancing, etc.). At the airport here, they have multiple test centers where you can get a quick, cheap, certified test (acceptable for boarding and entry to the US). Costs about US$15 and results in 15 minutes, maybe 20 minutes if they’re super-busy. They’re open 24/7. I’ve seen posts elsewhere from multiple people in the past week confirming all the above details, so I’m confident it’s a viable option for me. I could take time out of my last day here and find a place in the city to get this done (easy, tests are widely available) but that would be one extra excursion that I don’t really need. All I need to do is arrive at the airport 30 minutes earlier, and do the test right there. That’s what I’m planning to do. If your departure airport has an equally convenient option that’s reliable, I’d do the same.

Good luck and don’t let your guard down until you walk in your own front door when you get home.

Posted by
4675 posts

I did what Carrie did when I was in Switzerland- used the Abbott E-Med proctored self-test. Brought the tests with me, used my I-phone. Was easy, took about 15 min, received QR code with documented results in about ten minutes. Good luck!

Posted by
19 posts

I second what Pat said about the Abbott proctored test. I used it coming back from Romania last August. Simple and easy to use, right from my hostel room. I practiced with one before I left so I knew what to expect.