Please sign in to post.

eMed - does a couple purchase one set of six tests for $150

The eMed website is a bit confusing. For those of you who have used it, please let me know if the way it works is that I buy one set of 6 tests for $150 for both my husband and I, and then each of us has to create a log in account to take the test. The website says

"Traveling Couples and Groups: Remember to obtain a prescribed test under each unique user profile by signing up on eMed.com and completing the COVID-19 Testing Questionnaire to determine eligibility by clicking the "order now" button."

Any clarification would be helpful.

Thanks, Isabel

Posted by
2669 posts

Yes, each person taking a test needs a separate account as the test results will be sent to that person only. There is an option for buy less than 6 tests. I believe Optum sells 2- or 3-packs. I’ll see if I can find the link.

Posted by
8375 posts

You can buy one 6 pack for both of you. You do each need your own "account" for testing, but that has nothing to do with buying the 6 pack. The tests can be used by anyone that has set up an account online.

My 6 pack has provided tests for 3 different people with no difficulties.

Posted by
2768 posts

You can buy one set. I bought a set of 2 and a set of 6, to be used by 4 people. So 2 tests per person, which is more than needed but I prefer to be careful.

Then each adult sets up their own account and downloads the app. Children or other people you are responsible for can be “managed profiles” on your account.

Posted by
2669 posts

Here are the links to the 2 and 3 packs.

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack

https://store.optum.com/shop/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-3-pack

They do suggest you bring an extra test. So, you might want to take 4 tests with. We did need an extra test when we used them. We had 12-tests for 3 people, that was probably a little too much. 😊 Just be sure when you buy, you are getting a test(s) with the telehealth.

Posted by
4 posts

thank you all for your quick replies and helpful insighs. I truly appreciate it.
Isabel

Posted by
4697 posts

Carrie, thx so much for the e-med info, I was on the site a few weeks ago, and missed the fact that one doesn't have to buy the six-pack anymore. I think a three -pack for a couple is pretty reasonable. We still have tests left over from last September, but they are past their expiration dates. Info like this makes this Forum invaluable. Safe travels to all!

Posted by
2669 posts

Hi Pat, yes, I was happy to learn I did not need to buy 6 tests for just me. But, I’m hoping come June I won’t need to bring any. I’m holding off on buying them for now. Are you counting down the days? Germany and Austria are coming up pretty soon for you. 😊 My sister decided to come with me to Austria and I think she’s going to make me go on the sound of music tour!!

Posted by
4697 posts

Carrie, I've heard that the SOM tour really isn't so bad..... :)
Glad you have company on your trip.
I have a feeling [NO DATA TO SUPPORT THIS] that the US may drop testing, but it will be after we leave, but whatever.....
Fingers crossed for us all!

Posted by
14 posts

i bought just 2 tests from the Quest website. (part of the Emed/abbott deal). I'd get the 6 tests because you can use them before you leave too, very reliable and easier than finding a convenient MD or such. In fact, we were denied boarding because of a transfer issue in Zurich and rebooked the next day transferring through Munich, and as a result our 72h window had expired, so we used the BinaxNow Home kits (make danged sure you do NOT do NOT repeat do NOT get the BinaxNow Self test (they are the same test but only the HOME version is accepted for the proctored certified result) and it saved our trip. Unfortunately we didn't have them for our return but were able to get tests done the day before.

6 tests is enough for 6 separate people. We had 2 tests, and used one for each of us. You do have to create individual profiles on the NAVICA app.

Posted by
6788 posts

Couple things...

We went down this road last summer. At the time, only option was for the six-pack, for the two of us. But we wanted to bring along a couple extra tests, since I had read of people reporting the occasional test box missing a key component. So we (two of us) took 4 tests with is on our trip. Of course, we had no trouble, two would have been enough, but they're not heavy/bulky, so small potatoes.

Worth noting: the expiration date printed on the boxes may be (usually is?) extended by some months. So don't necessarily give up on them if the expiration date is looming (google BinaxNOW + your expiration date to see if it has been extended by several months).

Of course, you can use the tests without the online supervision, in case you're wondering if that sore throat you woke up with is something to worry about or not.