Please sign in to post.

Southern Spain itinerary help

My husband and I have 10 days following a bike tour in Portugal and would like to visit several locations in Southern Spain before our departure home from Barcelona. Need guidance on best way to travel between locations ( bus, train, or rental car) we will have luggage. And also any thoughts on length of stay in each location. We are happy to just walk around and take in the flavor of the culture.
10/11 - arrive Sevilla from Tavira
10/12 - Touring Sevilla
10/13 - Day trip to cordoba, over nite in Sevilla
10/14 - travel to Arcos, stay overnite
10/15 - travel to Gibraltor - Morroco stay overnite
10/16 - travel to Rondo - stay overnite
10/17 - travel to Nerja - stay overnite
10/18 - travel to Granada - stay overnite
10/19 - Granada touring
10/20 - Granada touring ( or one less day here and add another day elsewhere?)
10/21 - Fly from Granada to Barcelona
10/22 - Depart 11 am return to States.
Because we will have luggage, would we be better off renting a car? for the overnites I'm assuming hotel could take luggage while we tour the area. Thank you in advance for helping me figure out this puzzle.
Beth

Posted by
15652 posts

Oct 12 is a huge holiday in Spain. From what I've read it's usually turned into a 3-day holiday weekend. Take into consideration crowds and possible full trains.

I also agree with the above poster - too much travel time, not enough enjoyment time, especially going to Morocco (presumably Tangier) for a few hours.

Posted by
7849 posts

Forget going to Morocco, Tangier is just another Tijuana.
You need more time in Seville, it is the gem of the south.

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you! I had been coming to the same conclusion the more I read. So, then would it make sense to have Sevilla, Rondo and Granada as home bases and make day trips if we decide to Cordoba or Gibralter? Is Rondo worth an overnite?

Posted by
2 posts

I'm not sure about 10/15. One day for Gibraltar and Tangiers? There isn't a ferry (so far as I know) between the two cities. To get to Tangiers, you have to ferry from Tarifa, or take one from Algeciras to Tangiers Med and then taxi cab to downtown Tangiers, I suppose it might be possible to see both in a day, but it would be exhausting and not fun.

At any rate, my family had a great time in Gibraltar and in Tangiers, and each are worth a day.