Please sign in to post.

prescription drugs

We are going on a three week trip to Spain and Italy. Have always put our prescribed drugs in weekly containers and not had a problem. Rick advises to keep in original containers which takes up more space. Any advice out there?

Posted by
3169 posts

I take a number of medications and in 16 trips to Europe have never taken an original container with the exception of using one when prescribed an opiod for pain. I count them out in AM and PM ziplocks and make a "check-off" calendar on an index card to make sure I take them all. I've never been stopped entering a European gateway and finish them all before returning home. If any medications contain a narcotic, I would definitely take the original container.

Posted by
2091 posts

Carol, I ask the pharmacy to make up extra labels which I put on each of the ziploc bags (snack-size) and also have a list of all my prescriptions which I have my doctor sign (with his address and phone number). I make sure to take one extra week's worth of my prescriptions for any "what-if" situations...such as flight delays, strikes or volcano eruptions!

Posted by
3519 posts

Depending on the medicines, it can cause trouble going through immigration if they are not in their original bottles from the pharmacy with a valid prescription label on them according to not only Rick but even the US government. What is commonly prescribed here may or may not be in the countries you are visiting and if you have something unlabeled that is not exactly legal in that country, you could be accused of smuggling if it is not labeled properly.

I have never been questioned about the medications I carry with me, but have seen others having their suitcases dumped out and being asked about each container of pills (this was on return to the US in every case).

I have begun asking my pharmacy to either provide me with an empty labeled bottle I can transfer enough of the prescription into for my trip or to simply fill my prescription in multiple small bottles. They never have trouble doing one or the other.

Posted by
2942 posts

For info:

The EU legislation on importing (legal) drugs is the strictest in the world, furthermore, the EU legislation is just the common framework here in Europe, then each member state has its own rules which in some cases can be even stricter.

To start, in Spain we use a different system for prescribed drugs. Medication served in a pharmacy is divided in two basic categories: those without prescription required (ie iboprufen, aspirine, etc) and those requiring prescription. For the later, there are three groups depending on the drug, which aim to prevent abuse/misuse of the stronger and more dangerous ones. Those in the third group are controlled very strictly.

If you need to purchase one that requires prescription you'll need either to go to a doctor here to have it issued and/or to carry a "proper" prescription from your doctor in the US -sorry, no labels on a container, that's not considered a proper prescription here. If it's a foreign prescription it has to be in letter-form with the appropriate info, your details, a letterhead, stamps and signature of the doctor, etc... in short, all the bells and whistles.

Also, note that in general terms, a visitor can bring up to three months' supply of a prescribed medicine/drug into the country but, as said, a proper prescription to YOUR name will be likely required at Customs. You should also know that entering certain types of prescribed medicines need to be declared at Customs (not so for over-the-counter ones!). Unfortunately, our respective health systems classify "prescribed drugs" differently so there might be rare cases in which a drug which you might be buying over-the-counter in the US does require a prescription here so if you try to enter the country with it, a prescription from your doctor might be required. As said, that'd be one in a million but still, if you're taking something too specific better check it out before travelling.

At the pharmacy you're served the drugs in the original manufacturer's container/box, we don't use the 'labelled container'-scheme like you do in the US. Thus, I also advise bringing the drugs into the country in the original manufacturer's box to avoid potential "misunderstandings" at Customs.

Also, if you're purchasing drugs here and it's a drug requiring prescription, your personal info might be input in our National Health IT System if (a) you're entitled to some reduction on the price -not your case as a tourist!- or (b) if you're getting a Group 3 type of drug (antipsychotics, etc)... so you need to carry your passport with you in these cases, otherwise, without proper ID you won't be served.

Having said all that, if you're taking "typical" drugs, like those being taken by millions in both countries, you're unlikely to encounter any problem, neither at Customs nor if you need to buy some more here. Yet my advice is that if you're taking very strong medicines/drugs -which are likely to be qualified as Group 3 in our system- contact the Spanish Embassy before travelling to ask exactly what sort of documents you need to bring along.... just in case.

One last comment: I've too often seen in this forum people saying "... I've never been checked when entering any European country when coming from the US, blah, blah, blah", well, not all containers arriving into port are checked either, there are too many of them, but it doesn't mean there aren't a set of laws and rules in place that can be enforced and they are... US citizens don't have any special treatment. I'm just letting you know how things stand here, now it's your criteria what to do.

PS: Btw, if searching online, please note that 'medicines' doesn't translate as 'medicinas' -that's the generic translation- it does translate as "medicamentos" (Spanish) or "medicaments" (in Catalan, should your search be related to the Catalonia region)

Posted by
3519 posts

Enric,

Thanks for your detailed information. It is always good to get information on topics like this directly from someone who is there.

A couple things:

Even here in the US, a label stuck to a container is not a valid prescription. I don't think anyone would walk into a pharmacy with a bottle and say "Give me more of this" simply because the pharmacist would only say no, or laugh you out of the place.

I stated I have never been questioned bout my medicines when entering the EU. I did not intend for this to be taken as no one is ever questioned or that you can take whatever you want with impunity. However, I feel I am properly prepared for whatever questioning I might face since I keep everything in properly labeled bottles from the pharmacy.

Posted by
198 posts

You might want to consider this: https://www.pillpack.com/

It's a pharmacy that puts all your pills for each dosage time in little packs. You may not want to upend your prescription protocol for now, but this might save a lot of travelers some hassle.

Posted by
2942 posts

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the comments :)) I've tried to explain it as detailed as I could since first-time travellers might not realize the differences there are and also to debunk some misconceptions that some have.