Please sign in to post.

luggage

Do most Rick Steves traveler really heed his recommended one backpack and one day pack luggage?

Posted by
118 posts

Most travelers on this forum really try to pack light.
Some of us don't.
Most of us carry on at least.

Posted by
27111 posts

From what people have said about the tours, I have the impression that there are more wheelie bags on the tours than backpacks, but perhaps I have a selective memory. Smaller and lighter is definitely better.

Posted by
2455 posts

I don’t think Rick actually recommends a backpack, but rather a backpack OR rolling carry-on, dependent on your preference and your body.
When I travel, independently or on RS Tours, I travel with a 20-inch rolling carry-on plus a good-sized tote bag which slides onto the handle of the carry-on. (Tote bag is my “personal item” on planes.) Packed inside I have a very light-weight empty duffle bag in case I have more baggage on the return trip, and an even lighter-weight empty RS Civita day pack, that I use on a daily basis to carry water bottle, jacket, small towel, book, snacks, etc.

Posted by
15807 posts

I think you'll find all sorts of travelers on this forum and not just RS tour-takers. We travel independently, and do take, and check, bigger wheeled bags (besides our carryons) than many here but only as large/heavy as we know we can manage; certainly not 25" or larger. We've walked long distances with them, hauled them on and off trains, and up and down stairs at a fair number of accommodations abroad. Should it become too difficult, then it'll be time for a new strategy but it has worked so far! Doing laundry a time or two along the way keeps the amount of clothing to a reasonable size.

While careful about weight, fitting everything into bags we don't have to check is not something we want to stress about. LOL, they're heaviest by the time we hit the airport for the flight home but it doesn't matter much at that point. :O)

Posted by
6291 posts

My DH and I each carry a backpack and one "personal item." His personal item is a laptop case; mine is some sort of smallish shoulder bag. We pack enough clothes for about 3 changes each, and do laundry on the trip.

The first RS tour we took, we thought it was required to have just 2 small pieces of luggage, so that's what we did. And we've never looked back. Traveling light is liberating; traveling heavy is exhausting.

Check out this link for more packing tips:

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/packing

Posted by
2768 posts

From what I’ve seen and heard most go with one carry-on size bag (may check it, may be rolling, may be a bit bigger than European carry on but not big) and one personal item such as messenger bag, laptop bag, day backpack, or bigger purse.

It’s just easier not to have much stuff. The particulars (backpack vs rolling, check it or carry it on) are down to preference but most agree that you don’t want to overburden yourself.

Posted by
1019 posts

DH and I both do our best to pack light. Each of us has a small rolling ( I have RS one) and one backpack.

I also have his backpack I got with my $100 trip voucher but have not tried it out. I put most of my clothes in it that I am taking on our RS ireland/Scotland for April but seemed to heavy for my back

Posted by
23267 posts

I think most (not all) do indeed use one carry-on size bag (back pack style or rolling) and a small day bag. We use two back pack style carry on bags with two small day bags but when do a ocean cruise we add a third carry-on size bag that is rolling. The most we have done on one carry on bag each was 28 days. But it could have been 48.

Posted by
929 posts

There was a duplicate thread that I just removed from the forum, but there was one reply there that I wanted to retain for the OP and others. This is from wbfey1:

I believe the majority of us try to adhere to the guidelines. Here's
why.

The ETBD philosophy contemplates a freer and more involved traveler. I
have traveled with several bags on many occasions in the past,
spending premium dollars on upmarket hotels and meals, using taxis
instead of trains and buses, letting "others" set the parameters of my
vacation. Lots of luggage didn't bother me because I had people to
schlep it to and from my hotel to the airport, train, or limo service.
In retrospect, those trips were fine but without differentiation from
one another, and were impersonal.

After adopting a ETBD mindset, I found that I was becoming more than a
tourist, and in some cases I became a temporary citizen of the
locations I was visiting. I would buy toiletries at the local market,
eat a slice of pizza for lunch in a sunny park while watching mothers
walking their babies, enjoying a soccer game between competing teams
of school children. I became part of the experience and felt immersed
in a culture as opposed to being a mere spectator. Part of that was
the simple idea of washing my clothes as they became dirty, not
worrying about wearing the same shirt twice or even three times
between washings.

I have a good friend who would never travel as I do. All his shirts,
slacks, sweaters, and other items of clothing (and those of his wife)
are sent to dry cleaners, rather than washed in a machine. He carries
several large bags, a suit and a sports coat/slacks combination, a
garment steamer, and about a half dozen pairs of shoes. His wife
carries more. He stays in four star hotels, eats at expensive
restaurants, and generally travels first class. He cannot use trains
because he cannot carry his bags all at one time, so he rents cars for
the duration of the trip. He loves traveling that way. I could never
do it.

I stay in B&Bs, apartments, 2 or 3 star hotels. I train, bus, boat,
and rarely, drive wherever I want to go. I arrive at the train station
early in the morning and travel second class after walking with my 2
bags (backpack and small shoulder bag) from the hotel. I eat in cafes,
osterias, brasseries, university cafeterias, and in my rooms. I see
the same things my friend sees, but at a generally lower cost, and am
free to cancel my plans or hop a bus to the next city down the pike on
a moment's notice. I drink cheap red wine with locals in small bars
and shoot espresso while standing at a bar along a quiet canal.

It ain't fancy, but it is immensely fun.

Posted by
105 posts

On my first-ever solo trip, I thought I had packed well. I had my personal item on board the flight, and checked one roller bag that was too large to qualify for carry-on. I had a HUGE surprise waiting for me when I took the train and Metro from CDG Airport into Paris. The stairs, oh, the stairs!! I still have nightmares about them.

Being a novice traveler at the time, I didn't realize that often one must climb several flights of stairs at train and metro transfer points. (By the way, I am fit - run marathons, cycle, and workout regularly - but because of the size of my suitcase, those stairs made me cry!) Yes, I had wheels on my suitcase, but that sucker got heavier and heavier with each transfer and each flight of stairs. Not only that, roller bags are kind of terrible on Europe's cobblestone streets. The Paris metro experience traumatized me so greatly that I seriously considered taking a taxi back to the airport.

That experience made me swear to "do better next time." With each trip after that, I packed lighter and lighter, but still checked my luggage. Even though I vowed I would pack less and leave room for souvenirs, it never happened! If I had one cubic centimeter of space in my bag, I filled it before leaving home. Only after I purchased a carry-on size backpack did I actually start packing light. My life is forever changed! Ever since began traveling with just one backpack, I find that I am liberated. I often travel solo and it is so easy to toss my pack above me on a train.

I highly recommend Sarah Murdoch's Packing Light video at the Rick Steves site. https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/travel-talks/packing-light-right-with-sarah-murdoch Sarah has become my packing sensei.

Do it! You’ll be happy you did.

Posted by
6291 posts

wbfey1: Your post reminded me of an experience my DH and I had some years ago, before we started our RS tours.

I have a family member who travels the way your friend does; first class everything, luxury hotels (preferable Four Seasons,) finest restaurants. About 15 years ago, she and her business partner rented a villa in Positano for a month, and invited various friends and business associates to come stay for a week each. I was doing computer programming for her at the time, so she invited us to come for a week.

Anyway, one day DH and I decided to go to Capri. We figured out the ferry system, and spent a delightful day exploring Capri, walking up to the Roman ruins, and just grabbing a sandwich for lunch. To our surprise, we ran into my relative and her fiancé there. They had chartered a boat to get to Capri, because, they said, "the ferry would be too crowded. How many people were on it?" they asked. "Well, counting us? Four," I replied. Oh.

I'm willing to bet we had a better time in Positano, Amalfi, Paestum, Capri, and Sorrento, using public transportation and eating at bars and trattorias. They spent most of their time in the penthouse suite of the villa.

Posted by
6534 posts

My wife and I each have a 20” suitcase with a backpack as our carry-on. We keep the suitcase small so we don’t pack more than we need, and also for those instances where you check into a hotel or B&B, get a room on the third floor, and there’s no elevator.

Posted by
393 posts

Probably!
i.e. YES

There are two excellent YouTube videos by RS on packing light. One by Rick and one by a female guide of there's.
I've traveled to Europe many times and still like seeing those videos, a way to psych up for the fun!

Posted by
2768 posts

I think most try to have one manageable suitcase (rolling or backpack style), maybe it's a little bigger than carry on size but not a 30inch monstrosity. Then one daybag of some sort (backpack or crossbody bag or tote or purse).

Any more than that per person and it gets very cumbersome, unless you are staying in one city. Cab to hotel, stay there, cab to airport on the return allows for more luggage. But frequent hotel changes, trains, walking a long way to a hotel, stairs or uneven streets, all of that makes hauling more than one easy-to-carry suitcase a challenge. If you rent a car, many are small and may not fit large/multiple luggage for 2 or more people. If you rent a van or big car you can't always fit on certain streets or parking garages.

Rick's advice of one BACKPACK luggage and one BACKPACK daypack is a pet peeve of mine. Unless you go super light and can carry the daypack inside the backpack suitcase, it is very difficult to carry both. And you will need to carry both every time you switch hotels. Only one thing can go on your back at a time! Go with a roller and a backpack or a backpack suitcase and a crossbody.

Posted by
54 posts

I’ve found it to be crucial for a great trip. I carry a 21” rolling suitcase and a large shoulder bag. It’s important to be able to get on and off trains and buses easily. I usually check my bag on flights for ease. I also carry a foldBle extra bag in case of souvenirs.

Posted by
425 posts

I take a roller bag and a personal item (usually a tote or a smallish duffel bag). I have started checking the roller bag for long flights so that I can have more space under my seat. I just went on a 15 hour flight to Sydney and even though I was a bit nervous about checking a bag on my outbound flight, the extra room to stretch my legs in my coach seat made it worth the risk. I always pack a change of clothes, my electronics and toiletries in the carry-on bag, just in case my checked roller bag doesn't arrive when I do.

Posted by
11179 posts

Do most Rick Steves traveler really heed his recommended one backpack and one day pack luggage?

If the question is about what RS tour members use, my observation is a 20-21" rolling carry on and a small back pack or other bag that qualifies as a 'personal' item on most airlines is what 85% use. The other 15% are folks with non rolling back packs and occasionally someone with some sort of larger luggage.

Posted by
5581 posts

If you are talking about people who take the tours, I have never taken one. We travel independently. For me, just a small rolling suitcase and a small backpack. I want to be able to manage my own luggage with ease. However, I think it depends on what the trip involves, what you are using for transportation and how many times you are changing accommodations. I use trains and public transportation for the most part. When I travel, I dress and groom pretty simply. It's easier, but I can see why others might want to dress up for dinner, etc.

Posted by
270 posts

I didn't think I could do it, but I did! Three weeks with one carry-on and a backpack. I also brought some powdered laundry detergent and washed clothes in the sink. The place I stay at has a balcony and clothes that are put out wet in the morning are generally dry by the afternoon.

Clothes I packed: 3 shorts, 4 polo shirts, 4 t-shirts, 4 tank tops, underwear/socks, walking shoes, flip flops and tevas. I wore jeans, long sleeve dressy shirt and light jacket on the plane. I also brought two backpacks - a small one for the beach and a loctote.

Things I brought but can live without next year: jeans, too many polo shirts (1 or 2 is good - solid colors), flip flops, dressy shirt, jacket. Also the small backpack. The loctote was great - the last hotel we went to didn't have a safe in the room, so we used the loctote.

Gadgets I brought but won't bring next year: Bose over-ear headphones (too much space, not much use).

I found a largish case at Walmart (soft-sided) that I stored all my electronic cables, adaptors and jewelry. It worked great. Everything that could get lost didn't. And it was all in one place and is stored away for next year.

As for toiletries - I will bring travel size toothpaste and deodorant. When I run out, I'll just buy the stuff there. No more travel kit full of my bathroom stuff.

So, I bought my t-shirts and tank tops at walmart for cheap. At the end of my trip, I threw away some of the cheap clothes to make room for my souvenirs (little things) and to make my luggage lighter. I checked the carry on on the way home for convenience.

I'm a convert!

Posted by
393 posts

One new subtopic >> the small bag >> Rick sells a few. I bought a PacSafe MetroSafe bag since it has a wire mesh to prevent slash-theft (Italy, Spain, Greece). Travelon makes such bags also.
I keep looking at some of the neat bags sold at ebags > they do enticing sales and some theirs are laid out better than my MetroSafe. But the mesh still wins out (and my bag is paid for!)

Posted by
951 posts

As a Rick Steves traveler, I have adopted this philosophy of carryon luggage for business and pleasure. For business I substitute a laptop case for a backpack and I carry-on 21 or 22 inch depending upon the airline and where I am traveling. I like the flexibility of having carry-on luggage and it is nice not having to deal with lost or delayed luggage. If I am taking the train or bus and/or staying in a local hotel, lightweight luggage makes a huge difference on stairs. The only time I check luggage is if the airline make me (weight issue, not size) or I have purchased souvenirs that need to be in checked luggage.

I do have friends with mobility issues or they are taking a vacation in which more clothing is required (e.g. cruise) and carrying large luggage works for them and their travel style.

Sandy

Posted by
7 posts

I went on a RS My Way Tour and did OK with the carryon suitcase and a backpack, but felt I couldn't get the souvenirs I wanted for lack of space.
Is it OK to take a tote and leave it at my seat on the bus (just for that purpose)?

Posted by
6291 posts

Of course! There's also a place under the bus for "deep storage," things you don't need during the tour but will need afterward. BTW, they don't assign seats on the bus, so chances are you won't always have the same seat. But there are overhead racks where you can stash your tote bag.