Please sign in to post.

Cancel 2020 Barcelona trip due to protests?

Hi.. we are scheduled to visit Barcelona for 3 days the first week in Sept 2020. Our flight route is JFK to Madrid, then flight to B. I'm concerned over the protests in B. turning violent. I'm a bit apprehensive to visit there, especially after reading a warning to to be careful at the airport. I cannot find any current status of the situation online. Can anyone help/advise? Thanks so much. Carol

Posted by
6733 posts

I would direct you to this post "A demonstration is not a riot" for some context and reassurance (the first reply to the original question). That old thread was about demonstrations in Paris, but the information holds true for Barcelona or pretty much any place where there are political demonstrations.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
7209 posts

I personally wouldn’t cancel. I’d probably avoid being in the middle of the protests which I’m sure you’ll also do.

Posted by
7731 posts

We were there January 3-6; there was no feeling of not being safe; the concierge had nothing to warn us about.
International press coverage seems to sensationalize things to make the city look smaller like any protest is engulfing the whole city for ratings or to sell newspapers. it is a pretty big city so if you were to see a protest you just walk another way and not toward it.

The threat of being pickpocketed is real though if you don't have your money concealed under a shirt and not in pockets another person can access

Posted by
3874 posts

Which/what protests? The ones from last year?

Posted by
35 posts

thank you for your replies. It's a help to hear your comments and experiences. I'm a new traveler. FYI...Reports/photos are from October 2019. They're what pulled me toward the skeptical course.
Guess staying more open minded about it and continue to plan is the way to go, unless more is revealed.

Posted by
3874 posts

Yes those protests have come and passed, I would not worry, for the foreseeable future it does not look like there is any major protest or actions planned. Although... will you be in Barcelona on Sept 11 (National Day of Catalonia)?

Posted by
35 posts

We're planning to be there, Sept 1-4. Thank you Carlo for the positive news. Would you be able to tell me what you think is the safest area(s) for hotel? Do not mean to sound paranoid.

Posted by
3874 posts

I'd go with a hotel in the Eixample.

Posted by
35 posts

Just found out my travel buddy wants to stay in Hostel Fernando in Barcelona's Gothic Quarter. Wondered what you thought of that area?
Thank you.

Posted by
7731 posts

That is the Bari Gotic or the old town. Top location Lively area lots of tourists around there.

Posted by
35 posts

sorry, how would you rate safety and noises level? i'm over 65. Thanks again!

Posted by
1075 posts

Watch about 5 min of Rick's Travel as a Political Act video - start at 21:40 - he specifically talks about demonstrations in Europe. (Great video if you have time to watch the whole thing! It addresses a lot about safety when traveling, fear of "over there," etc.)

Posted by
7731 posts

I think it would be noisier than Eixample where I stayed. It is a little sketchy in areas down some of the narrow streets since it is close to Las Ramblas where all the tourists and pickpockets are. We visited the area January 2020.

Posted by
35 posts

ok, you've given me a good picture to go by.
Did find interesting Hostal Oliva in Elxample but already Sept 1 was booked. Will continue to pursue a place in Elxample. Thanks once again. Carol