Please sign in to post.

Barcelona

We have been to Spain (and loved it) a couple of times. But we have not been to Barcelona and hope to remedy that this spring. But I am having a hard time trying to figure out what is a good, central location in which to stay since the city is so enormous! We hope to do all the regular thing and get to Monserrat and also perhaps a couple of days in Valencia.

We have traveled a lot but somehow I found it easier to decide what area was best of us in London, Madrid, Paris, etc. I do understand that the metro is good, but some places are better and more convenient for transport than others.
I would appreciate your thoughts..
And thanks Kate

Posted by
841 posts
Posted by
766 posts

I do understand that the metro is good, but some places are better and more convenient for transport than others.

Where are you transporting to? (I know, terrible grammar). But what are your priorities in Barcelona? Is this a Gaudi visit; a museum visit; a beach visit; a foodie visit; a stomping nightclub visit? As you say, the city is enormous but so are the options. Knowing how you plan to spend your days and nights will help guide how you'll come and go...

Posted by
241 posts

In 2019, we stayed at Hotel Praktik Rambla in Eixample. Loved it and found it to be convenient to most everything.

Posted by
1925 posts

I will be in Barcelona for the first time next October and asked a similar question.

Got a lot of good responses and decided on the Hotel Continental Barcelona based on the responses and my own research.

However it is right on Las Ramblas and you might prefer another location.

Edit and Update: Adding a link of the responses that I got to my question with many suggestions.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/spain/hotel-location-in-barcelona

Posted by
6901 posts

The city is not that huge in practice, but the sights are a bit spread out.
Personally, I do not like the old town (Barrio gótico + El Born) as a place to stay; it feels cramped to me.
I recently stayed at Hotel Seventy near the Diagonal metro station and, while I did not love the hotel, I thought the location was perfect to explore Barcelona. Many restaurants around, good transport connections, near the beautiful Passeig de Gracia.

Posted by
212 posts

thanks to all of you who took the time to respond. I am carefully reading all the responses.

Posted by
3844 posts

We stayed at Exe Laientana Palace on Via Laietana. We were there September 2022. It is just a few steps from the Cathedral. We were just a few blocks from the water. Don’t miss the Maritine Museum.
We walked to Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas, the cable car to montjuic (just know that it is two seperate cable cars up there, two different companies, two fees).
We didn’t get to Park Gueli but I’m sure you would need a bus or cab.
The hotel is on a main street so the buses run there.