Please sign in to post.

Alhambra tickets

I am going to buy tickets for Alhambra at ticketmaster, but there are so many categories and they are all in Spanish, so I'm afraid I might book the wrong thing. We want to tour the palaces and gardens. One category (of 11!) is "Alhambra General" Is this the one I should buy?

Posted by
336 posts

It is Alhambra general.
The time you'll get is only to visit the Nasride Palace. So for instance if you reserve 11am, you have the entry ticket from something like 8:30am to 2pm, and then the official visit of the Nasride palace at 11am. Try to not take your time around 9am or 2pm as you'll feel you have to rush to the entrance of the Nasride Palace which is about a 15 minutes walk from the official entrance..
For the morning session, times like between 10 and 1, or in PM 3 to 6 or good times without feeling a rush to get on time to the entrance of that palace.
It is an amazing place
Claude

Posted by
5187 posts

Dewittsker,

I'd suggest reading the official website of the Alhambra , which is very informative. I've linked the English version but if it's not, you can change it to English on the top right of home page (above the search bar).

As you can see there are several types of visits, however most people choose the, "Alhambra General", which includes the Nasrid Palaces and the Generalife (beautiful gardens & summer palace).

Some people enjoy the night visit too, but be aware that this provides a limited visit of the Nasrid Palaces as some areas are closed off at night.

Here is more information about touring the Alhambra

You'll also find helpful information about the Alhambra tickets on this recent post here.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
29 posts

I have a related question. How much time should be spent visiting the Alcazaba (fort) and Charles V's Palace? I plan to go to Palacios Nazaries afterward and need to select a time slot.

Posted by
4526 posts

Yes Alhambra General is the all encompassing ticket.

I read a few forums and the latest news is that it has actually gotten easier - there is no longer morning or afternoon only tickets. You get a timed ticket to see the Nazarid Palace (I think I am spelling that wrong) and then you have from 8:30 to evening to see the rest of the site. Just make sure you arrive within 30 minutes of the ticket time for the Nazarid palace. I haven't purchased mine yet, but wanted to share that all the past posts on strategies for whether to go morning or afternoon no longer apply.

Posted by
5187 posts

I read a few forums and the latest news is that it has actually gotten easier - there is no longer morning or afternoon only tickets.

Which forums Maria, I'm intrigued?

I just sent an email to the Alhambra asking about this and will post their reply once I receive it.

Posted by
4526 posts

TripAdvisor Granada forum has some posts on Alhambra tickets from this week. There are quotes stating access from 0800 - 2000 hr (8a.m. To 8 p.m.)
A quick read on Ticket master in my limited Spanish indicates tickets for just Generalife, just Alcazaba, various night options or combined tickets to everything including Nazarid Palace. No time defined tickets i.e. Morning or afternoon.
Would be nice to have direct confirmation from the Alhambra, however, as I see their website does not reflect this change. It still talks about morning and afternoon sessions. I would hate to start a rumour.

Posted by
4526 posts

Follow up to post above, I recieved this web site as the official site and it reconfirms no more half day entries. Don't know how they will restict visitors as in the past but maybe they won't restrict any longer. By the way, there is a 'change to English' option in the upper right hand corner. http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/

Posted by
5187 posts

Maria,

You're correct! Thanks for sharing this information!

I called the Alhambra directly at (34) 902 888 001 to verify this information.

The Alhambra representative confirmed that one can visit the Alhambra complex all day, with the 'Alhambra General' ticket.

This change occurred at the beginning of this year, thus the morning and afternoon sessions are no longer enforced.

Access to the Nasrid Palaces is the only place with limited entrance, and you need to be there at the time specified on your ticket.

Here is an excerpt from the official Alhambra website:

The specific time of your access to the Nasrid Palaces is printed on the admission tickets. You are strongly recommended to abide by this specific access time; otherwise, you will have no access to the palaces and there will be no refund or reimbursement for the admission prices.

Keep in mind that the Alhambra tickets sell very quickly and it's best to book 3 months in advance.

Happy travels!

Posted by
4526 posts

Thanks Priscilla. Nice to know it's a 'little' simpler. I'm surprised it has taken almost 3 months for the word to get out. I don't go until October, but I'll be sure to book ahead. Hardest decision is to go for the night viewing of the gardens. I'll definitely go back for the night visit of the Nazrid Palace. However, I arrive in Spain (Granada) on a Friday afternoon, so the thought of organizing something for that night and the following night may be too optimistic. Guess I could just try my luck with at the gate tickets for garden night visit.

Posted by
5187 posts

Maria,

We visited the Alhambra during the day.

I think it would be difficult to appreciate the beauty of the gardens and the fountains at night.
During the day you can distinguish the colorful flowers and the sunlight reflecting on the water...It's such a peaceful experience.

October is a great month to visit Andalucía. The weather is pleasantly warm but not hot like the Summer months. We did experience some rain in Córdoba and Toledo though.

Keep in mind that October 12th is a National holiday and there are festivities & processions in many cities, which may interfere with your taxi getting you to your hotel due to street closures! :-)

Have an amazing trip!

Posted by
4526 posts

As it takes a little looking, here is the information about 'schedule' from the website....not the Ticketing page: http://www.alhambra-patronato.es/index.php/Schedules/195+M5d637b1e38d/0/
Though I am not sure what this phrasing means <> I think the website might still be in designing phase as I see some of the phrasing has changed since yesterday.

So what seemed clear yesterday is now muddy again? Or we are just reading too much into it.

Posted by
2 posts

I'm wondering about where is the best parking, and then picking up the tickets we have booked on-line. I believe I have to show the same credit card I used when the tickets were purchased, and that it is about a twenty-minute walk to the Palace, but can someone offer tips for which entrance/ driving and parking tips / avoiding lines, etc?
Thanks!!!

Posted by
5187 posts

You can read about where to pick up your Alhambra tickets on this recent post

You'll want to pick up your tickets the day before, or at least a few hours prior to, visiting the Alhambra.

We took the C3 Minibus at Plaza Isabel La Católica to the Alhambra, and you may find this to be a very convenient option instead of driving & parking.

You can read about how to get to the Alhambra via car on The Alhambra website but note this:

BY CAR
These visiting the Alhambra by car should take the “Ronda Sur” ring road around the city towards Sierra Nevada, as private vehicle access to the Alhambra from the city centre is prohibited.

When we were in Granada, we purchased the Travel Card from the bus driver and took the minibuses from the city center to/from the Alhambra and to/from the Albaicín.

Enjoy your time in Spain!

Edit to add...

We entered the Alhambra complex through the "Justice Gate", which is down from the general entrance, and closest to the Nasrid Palaces.

Posted by
3943 posts

While there is an Alhambra parking lot, the streets are narrow and crowded. So if you are already staying in Granada, just walk to the C3 bus and take it to the Justice Gate. It is further past the main gate, as you are riding (everyone people got off our bus at the main entrance which was a little scary, but I trusted Rick's advice AND asked the driver, remembering the Spanish for Justice Gate). And it was easy!