It’s tough luck when your luggage gets lost or delayed. So pack your carry-on bag purposefully, with essentials like cellphone charger, medications, reading glasses, jewelry, basic makeup (eyeliner, lipstick and concealer!) and change of undies.
Of course, you must wear a practical outfit for travel: For both sexes, I recommend head-to-toe black clothes that don’t show coffee spills or dirt and that you can get by with when you want to look dressier. I vote for sturdy, upscale (and not flimsy) black knitwear—pants or pull-on skirt, and a top such as T-shirt or polo top. Good-looking black walking shoes. Black tights for women.
Here are the clothes to stash in your carry-on bag:
• A featherweight, hooded down jacket that stuffs in its own pouch the size of a paperback book; the hooded version is best for rain and wind. Uniqlo made these popular, and they are so practical. I also carry the sleeveless vest version—in an olive shade—because it’s versatile for layering and goes with everything.
• A long, wide scarf or wrap in wool challis or cashmere, in black or a dark putty. It’s a chic wrap that doubles as a muffler and a blanket.
• Two knit tops, in short and long sleeves and in a dark color or print, to go with the black pants or skirt you are wearing
• Packable hat. An essential for cold, rain or a bad-hair day.
• Warm gloves (in fall and winter).