Please sign in to post.

Using packing cubes or flat packs with the rolling carry on?

The rolling carry on seems too small to accommodate the packing cubes. Has anyone tried this?

Would the flat packs be a better option for the rolling carry on?

Posted by
8382 posts

There are many different sizes of packing cubes. Are you limiting yourself to just the Rick Steves brand? Look on ebags.com for additional styles and sizes. Some people like cubes and others don't. Pack with what sense to you and your travel style.

Posted by
2393 posts

I used to use packing cubes - I now use 2 gallon ziplocs. I roll the clothes, I can make them any size I want. I use quarts for smaller items as needed.

Posted by
375 posts

We've used the packing cubes for many years. We like them as they keep our clothes organized, particularly when you are staying many different places and always digging around in the suitcase. I like they way they zip open and you can get things in and out easily. Also work nicely to transfer as a whole to a dresser drawer if you're going to be someplace a week. They fit in our rolling bag. Def agree...find what works for you.

Posted by
3207 posts

I use a combination of 2 RS packing cubes that holds all my clothes, a zip lock bag for wet toiletry, a white sack for my misc bag; i.e., spork, sink plug, clothes line, an eagle creek small envelope size for electronics, and a zipped standup bag (?) for my dry toiletries. I don't have a 3rd grouping large enough to use the 3rd RS bag, but I don't see why it wouldn't fit, unless it's packed so full it won't give at all.

Posted by
4843 posts

With the rolling carry on we use a combination of one packing folder (flat pack), one (or two) large cubes, and a one (or two) small cubes. It just depends on the length of the trip, the weather, and what things you have to organize.

I am not a fan of the "boxy" RS cubes. I agree with the above about Ebags brand. As a smaller woman - the medium ebags cubes are just right. The large works better for my big husband. I like the slimlines also. Get bright colors so you don't accidentally leave them behind.

Eagle creek has good cubes also and a folder which my husband likes to compress his shirts flat. Nothing wrong with freezer zip locks! A simple stuff sack (Walmart camping section) works well for dirty laundry. I use plastic grocery bags for shoes, dirty or wet stuff or for trash. A pack away tote with zipper makes a good laundry sack or multipurpose sack as well.

Posted by
470 posts

We are using the Eagle Creek compression packing cubes with our RS rolling carry ons. Two larger cubes fit side by side next to each other and the smaller cubes (if filled with soft things like undies) fit into the space between the rails. We are loving these cubes, and they are very durable. One of the things I like about cubes is that you can put them into whatever room storage there is (drawers, shelves, etc) and your clothes stay clean and neatly folded until you need them. The compression feature is very clever and allows you to pack way more than you really need. :)
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Pack-Specter-Compression/dp/B00F9T852C

Posted by
2602 posts

I used my set of RS cubes for my recent trip, had previously used big compression bags, and I do prefer the cubes. Much easier to get things out, can fold or roll as needed. Coming home I used one of the smaller ones to bring back some fragile pottery in my carry-on, bubble-wrapped and cushioned with scarves--couldn't do that with flat bags.

Posted by
1078 posts

I use a combination of two tube-shaped packing cubes & a eagle creek folder pact-it, the folder pack-it is perfect for carry-on sized bags and I get my pants & shirts in it then put socks and underwear in the tube cubes. I think you need to just keep experimenting till you find what works for you.

Posted by
19092 posts

I don't like the term "cube" because a cube, by definition, is in normally as thick as it it long and wide. I prefer "organizer", because it applies to all sorts of shapes and sizes.

I've used organizers of some sort for years, but in packing for international travel, I don't fill any organizer full enough to need something as thick as a packing cube. My biggest organizer is for my shirts. For that I use a Tide wash bag that I found at Walmart for about $3. Even with five folded shirts, it's only about an inch thick. My underwear goes in a mesh bag I got from RS. My electronic accessories (batteries, chargers, plug adapter) go in a more substantial nylon stuff bag. I currently put my pants, folded once, on the bottom of the bag first. I've thought of rolling them, in which case a small stuff bag would hold them.

no cubes need apply!

Posted by
1068 posts

I use a folder from Eagles Creek for my shirts, 1 or 2 cubes for socks etc., and a mesh bag for dirty laundry. That system has worked very well for me for several years now. Personally, I prefer my cubes to bags because they have mesh so "breathe" better.

Posted by
225 posts

I agree. The ebags "cubes" come in various sizes. The slim line work best for carry-on suitcases. I used an Eagle Creek folding thing for my shirts last time (as recommended by Rick Steves) but am debating this year. The hard side of the Eagle Creek folder, seems to take up more room than the flexible cubes. I will try it both ways this year. The compression of the folding part is good and I like the plastic sheet that enables you to fold uniformly. But we'll see if my regular cubes can handle just as much in as little room.
Also, be aware that all the compression type bags have potential for failure. I've read a lot of reviews about them failing after a couple of uses or that they are cumbersome when trying to remove only one item. If you're in the mindset to compress, perhaps zip lock bags will be best? Also, remember, compression means it will take up less room but you will end up with a heavier bag since you will be putting in more items.

Lastly, I purchased multiple sets of cube in green for myself and the same in grey for my son. This way we can easily tell them apart. I also have one medium red cube for each of us for dirty laundry. This way I can just grab the red bags when I need to wash things out quickly.
Oh, and I've never seen anyone mention this on the boards but, when we check our bags I always pack one cube with a full set of clothes for myself and one for my son in each other's suitcase. This way, if one bag is lost, at least we have one spare set of clothes for the other person.
Happy packing!

Posted by
208 posts

I used to use the RS brand "cubes" when we travelled with his back pack bag, but since we switched to the rolling carry-on (smaller), I found his cubes to not work very well at all. I bought other, mesh, cubes online -- can't remember where (possibly Travelsmith, or Magellan's) which fit MUCH better. I think they came in a set of 3 (2 small, 1 large), and the smalls were 1/2 the size of the large. Since they were quite shallow, I bought us each two sets, so I could double stack them in my RCO bag. I love them. I can use one layer in the bottom half of my bag, and then place my shoes on/under it, and then double stack, using the small or large ones, on the top half of my bag. I prefer the smaller volume of them, too, because I can catagorize my packing better. Sometimes the cubes are just too big to function as a "drawer", and to help compress the contents. Works great for us!

BTW, I wouldn't even DREAM of packing a bag without cubes of some sort, now!

Cheers!
Vivian

Posted by
173 posts

I also would not dream of traveling without packing cubes or bags of some type, especially when flying. Nothing is loose in my bag. I certainly don't want security touching my things. My suitcase and backpack were searched in Mexico and I was so happy everything was contained. I use Eagle Creek compression cubes and folders and ziplock bags.

For years I used "bundle packing". I could pack more that way, but my suitcase was a hot mess after day one. Hubby just folds and stacks and is perfectly happy with that. To each his own!

Posted by
208 posts

Some of my cubes tend to include items rolled individually, and others are "bundled" within a cube. Depends are where/how I will be accessing them. Let me explain...

Lately, we've been going on cruises (our 4th Med cruise is this October). We usually do pre- and post-cruise stays.

I pack clothing I will want to access during our hotel stays individually rolled, and all in one cube. Those clothes which I know I won't need until we are onboard the ship, I will bundle-pack. I only need to get my pre-cruise cube out when in the hotel, and I use it like a drawer. I can access each item, I wash each night, and items get rolled up and put away, back in the cube, daily.

Then, on board the ship, where I will actually unpack my suitcaise and use their drawers and closet, it is easy to unpack the contents of the bundled cube, and the other one goes right into a drawer.

So, whether I bundle pack within a cube, or individually roll the items within a cube totally depends on whether I will be travelling in such a manner where I will be "living out of my suitcase", or whether I will be staying in one bedroom for awhile, so I can "unpack" and hang things up.

Cheers,
Viv

Posted by
27122 posts

I like Vivian's logic and came to a similar conclusion when planning for my current trip, which is the first on which I rolled shirts and cropped pants and placed them in a compression cube. I was disappointed but not surprised to see that they came out of the cube looking much more wrinkled than after bundle-packing. I'm sure I could have rolled more neatly, and of course fabric content is a major factor. I think I'll probably be going back to the bundle method (not compressed) for my outer garments, though I guess I could compress for the flight home if I needed room for souvenirs. I do love bundling underwear, gown, washcloth and (space permitting) Kleenex.

Posted by
139 posts

For the RS Rolling Carryon, I had to shift my packing style for the slightly smaller space, as compared with my older RS 21" roller. Once I figured out how to center the packing folder (rather than using a 1/3 and 2/3 arrangement like I did before), everything fit nicely. A secret to the newer RS Rolling case is to maximize the corners of the bag.

I roll my pants or skirts and put them longwise in the spaces between the handle rods--this fills the wasted space and creates a fairly flat surface. Then I stack tops, cardis, scarves in an Eagle Creek Spectre folder (the smallest one?), and place that longways in the center. I pack spare shoes in plastic bags single file along one long side of the case (I wear a women's 12), if they won't fit well in the shorter ends of the case. On either end of the short sides, I pack Eagle Creek half tubes (with unders or socks), and fill in with smaller items--protein bars, first aid &meds, laundry kit, pocket-size tissues. I use a space bag to compress a travel-size cervical neck pillow, and slip that inside the zippered pocket of the inside lid...with backup space bag, in case the first one fails (as it did once). I pack my raincoat in the outer pocket of the bag. The pillow (which is mission-critical) doesn't leave much room for souvenirs. I usually buy a scarf (or 2) for myself and postcards or small, flat items for others.

I pair the RS 20" roller with a Tom Bihn Pilot bag for a personal item. That combo works well for me. The Pilot front left pocket holds a 311 bag ( a Bihn 3D clear organizer), water bottle in center pocket, and my "office" (right front pocket that holds pens, chargers, tiny flashlight, journal, cheaters, snacks, etc). That leaves the large back pocket of the Pilot for a cardi, pashmina, travel docs, iPad (if I bring it), plane seat bag (a Bihn Side Kick with headphones, gum, etc. that clips on the seat pocket for the flight). I'm not a minimalist packer, but this system allows me to travel carryon for weeks at a time with a lightweight RS roller, and still have happy neck and happy feet.

Wal-Mart has packing cubes now. Set of three $9-10. Only color is dark blue with white mesh. Similar sizes to Ebags cubes. Decent quality. Also, Wal-Mart has 6" cable rings near key making section and small luggage locks for securing bags. FYI.

Posted by
490 posts

I always travel with just a carry on and day bag....I use Eagle creek rectangular packing cubes with mesh top for rolled t shirts, bathing suit, shorts, socks and underwear that won't fit in my extra pair or packed shoes and my extra bra. The pants, sweater or polar fleece go in on their own with dopp kit and shoes, electronic devices, cannot travel without my flat iron!

I also use a cube inside my day bag just for staying organized on the plane/train...I remove it from my day bag and stow it at my seat, the two carry on bags go in the overhead and I never have to get up and down to get things for the duration of the trip.

Try what works for you! I always pack a few sizes of ziplocks and a kitchen sized trash bag to act as a quick luggage cover in heavy rain!

Posted by
92 posts

What works for me (may not work for you)... and after trying other methods:

I use Eagle Creek packing cubes in my RCO because their size allows one complete layer of a cube (10x7x3) and two half cubes (10x7x3). One half cube is clean/dirty style which I use for socks and underwear so on a trip where we move every couple of days it allows for not needing an extra space for dirty clothes. In the regular cube (which takes up half the space of the layer) I pack 5 t-shirts which I now bundle fold within that space thanks to an idea I picked up on this forum. Special thanks to whoever that was. At a destination it is easy to unfold the t-shirt bundle, take out the next two days shirts and hang them up. I can also fold a single already worn shirt and lay on top ready for the next sink washing laundry event.

On the bottom layer between the rails I have a second pair of shoes, an Eagle Creek quarter cube "bedside kit", quarter specter cube for laundry supplies, nylon cinch sack with travel hair dryer (don't judge), Eagle Creek small sack for cords and chargers, small first aid kit, and Rick Steves Classic Toiletries bag.

The top layer is a bundled layer. 2 pair pants, then 2 lightweight outer shirts and finally a fleece sweater. On some trips I have bundled the pants separately but they are a non-creasing travel style. Rain coat in the long outside pocket.

I can't say enough how much I have appreciated all of the ideas and experiences I have learned from those of you who post to this forum. THANKS!!

Posted by
11613 posts

I use three RS cubes in the 20" rolling carryon, one large and two small ones. They fit perfectly if not stuffed full.