Please sign in to post.

TSA 311 ??

I hunted through TSA's website, (very) old forum posts and google. I can't find an answer to my question. I know that someone out in Forum Land will help.
Can I carry-on a small travel-size aerosol hair spray? Since it's sealed and the contents inaccessable, does it need to go in my 311 bag? I prefer not to use non-aerosol hair spray to keep the few straggling strands in place.
Our road trip plans changed rapidly on Day 1 of the trip when we had car trouble and our house got hit by 65MPH winds. Turned around and came home from our first stop in Las Vegas. New plan is to fly to Portland for hubby's class reunion.
Thanks,

Posted by
356 posts

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, *aerosols*, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage. Per TSA website Liquids Rule.

Aerosols fall under the liquid rule. Goes in 311 bag or checked luggage. Or you can buy some here in Portland.

Posted by
3518 posts

Yes. But it must be in a 3 oz or smaller container and fit in the 3-1-1 bag along with everything else you put in there.

Posted by
7278 posts

www.tsa.gov. has a search option at the top right corner where you can enter hairspray, and it gives the details. It says, “yes”, but you can read the disclaimer, too.

Maybe someone can tell us the logic of being able to bring antlers in a carry on but no table knife unless it’s plastic! Also, a bowling ball is okay!

Posted by
2731 posts

Thanks everyone. I’ll just buy hairspray and sun screen in Portland.
There is no logic to what can be carried on. Antlers? Deer use them to gouge their opponents. And what woman would have decreed the limited to 1 quart! It’s a challenge to fit tiny little bottles and tubes into a tiny quart ziplock.

Posted by
9420 posts

I bought a 3-1-1 bag at the container store which holds way more than a ziploc bag.

Posted by
488 posts

t's been 15+ years since the 3-1-1 rule has been in-effect, plenty of brands have adjusted their product offerings to accommodate this size requirement. Go into a Target, Wal-Mart, Walgreen's, CVS or, Bed, Bath & Beyond there's entire sections dedicated to travel sized items, clearly some stores have a larger section than others, best to talk with employees of those locations for whom has the what you're looking for.

Posted by
4318 posts

@Susan If you're leaving from Heathrow, you can only use the baggie. I pick up several of theirs anytime I leave from there and carry them with me so I can put my 3-1-1 stuff in one before I get to Heathrow. Fortunately, I usually go through Heathrow security on the way home so I can throw away containers that are mostly empty.

Posted by
4845 posts

Horsewhoofie:.

what woman would have decreed the limited to 1 quart! It’s a challenge
to fit tiny little bottles and tubes into a tiny quart ziplock.

Um, you do realize that the size limitations are there for a safety reason, and not as an inconvenience to women travellers? I've never travelled anywhere where I couldn't buy a nonmedical liqud/gel/aerosol item that I might need. Even in Portland.

Posted by
2335 posts

There is a Target at Cascade Station, minutes from the airport as you head toward I-205 freeway, for all of your hairspray and sunscreen needs. Or you can buy a 1.5 ounce hairspray at home (see example here).

My husband uses travel size "aerosol" shave cream when we fly. It goes into the 3-1-1 bag. Aerosol hairspray would be the same thing - just keep it to tiny travel size. Drugstores carry travel size products. The best prices for travel-sized items is Wal-Mart and Dollar-Tree. These last two places have a section just for tiny travel toiletries.

Posted by
13934 posts

FrankII, that link comes up blank for me. Can you give a hint as to what it's about?

Horsewoofie....my word. We need to do something to change your travel Karma! Hope your house is OK. Definitely get Trip Insurance for your big trip next year!

Posted by
2731 posts

Susan, I have a clear bag that's slightly bigger, too. But with my luck the TSA people would say no and make me dump everything. I just couldn't find all the current rules. I think I might as well check my hubby's bag, then it's all no longer an issue. He's happy to check, I'm happy to carry-on. Direct flight, time isn't an issue,
First stop after landing is a grocery store to buy a cooler, 5th's of Pendleton and Bailey's then head to Lyle, WA. I know that in WA you can now buy booze in the grocery store. But what about OR? Per Google it looks like OR is still in prohibition days on liquor sales.
Pam, I need to be bubble-wrapped and have a caretaker. The travel gawds are clearly against me. I'm signing up for South of Italy when I get home unless something else breaks including me. Did I tell you that the travel agent accepted DA's plea bargain and her sentencing hearing is scheduled the end of the month or maybe next month?

Posted by
356 posts

PDX Liquor & Wine also at Cascade Station as you leave the airport.

Oregon, unfortunately, still requires the purchase of liquor at state licensed stores. Fortunately, there are a lot of them.

Posted by
2731 posts

Thanks for confirming Mother Duck. We're driving on SR14 so will stop at the store in WA between 205 and Camas.

Posted by
1194 posts

I actually enjoyed being limited to a quart sized baggies as it forced me to pack better. Nowadays I barely use half of a baggie, if that.

Aerosol sprays are pretty inefficient. The amount of product you get in relation to propellant is teeny. I went over to a pump spray and never looked back.

Posted by
2335 posts

Re: alcohol in Oregon, we are in prohibition days for hard alcohol only, but you can search the actual inventory and prices of any state-licensed store. The closest to PDX is store 1260 (PDX Liquor and Wine).

Since you mentioned you're driving to Lyle, I'd suggest driving on I 84 Oregon side (cross over at Hood River) instead of SR 14. More efficient (unless you want to take it slow). It's high season for paving/road construction, as well as big wildfires up the Columbia Gorge, so keep an eye on traffic (Oregon here, Washington I use Google maps).

Bon voyage!

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi horsewoofie,

I have traveled from Logan to Heathrow to FCO as well as Logan to Heathrow to Linate on my trips to Italy (and in reverse.)

I have always used a clear, plastic cosmetic case that is zippered and a bit larger than the typical zip sandwich baggie. If interested, Walmart (and possibly other super stores) sell these empty. They are a bit larger (and more durable) than a sandwich baggie. They are square bottomed and give a bit more room to play. The empty ones run about $2-$3.

Walmart also sells an "oval" version filled with the basics - toothpaste, shampoo & conditioner, deodorant, etc.

Those run about $5.50-$6. Depends on the Walmart and their demographic pricing.

Example: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Convenience-Kits-International-Woman-Go-Deluxe-10-PC-Travel-Kit-Featuring-Herbal-Essences-Shampoo-Conditioner-plus-Eucerin-Original-Healing-Lotion/16940568 (There is a men's version too.) Online is more expensive.

Another example: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=travel%20bottles&cat_id=0&typeahead=travel

If you can decant cosmetics, etc. into various sized jars, stack them and tape the sides so they stay upright in your case. It affords more room.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Containers-Cosmetic-Spatula-Fathers/dp/B078TYZTX7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1527908156&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=mini+plastic+jars&psc=1

I have also seen the clear cosmetic bags (with empty jars and bottles to fill) at TJMaxx and Marshalls. They run about $4.99-$5.99 depending on the contents.

Yes, aerosols have been part of the 3-1-1- crowd. They also sell individual, purse-sized spray/spritz bottles you can decant liquid hairspray (bug spray, lavender spray, etc.) into -- aerosol cans, even the small ones, take up more room. I check a bag free as well as a carry on, so I have duplicates of what's in my carry on.

My 3-1-1- contains all the toiletry essentials and makeup -- I usually decant about 1.5 oz of liquids/creams/sprays, etc in mini jars or small plastic bottles & sprays as noted above. The extra (mirrored) toiletries/cosmetics are decanted into a 1.5 oz in a cosmetic case in my checked luggage. Lipstick/gloss/eye pencils/mascara all go into the 3-1-1. Splitting them up into two bags still gives me 3 ounces of products in total.

Everything fits in my 3-1-1- bag. Making use of your 3-1-1-bag is of course different for those who carry on only or don't use certain products I may use.

Posted by
125 posts

For fly a ways (when I braid my hair) i use Schwarzkopf Ultima Biotin Volume powder. I got it from Amazon in a .35 is container. May not sound like much but you only need a little. Sprinkle the powder on and pat it on. Love it and doesn't need to go in 311 bag!!!

Posted by
2731 posts

Girasoli, thanks for the link to the Walmart 10-piece bag. Bought it yesterday. It’s the perfect size. I filled my 1-qt baggie then inserted in the bag just in case TSA doesn’t like it and still had a tab bit of room. Hairspray is staying home and a small vial of hair gel is taking it’s place.

Wish us bon voyage. We fly out early tomorrow for our second attempt at our trip. Hubby’s 50th class reunion.

Thanks everyone for your hints and advise.

Posted by
33 posts

Just a note on the Pendleton - although you must go to a liquor store in Oregon and can buy in the grocery store in Washington, generally hard alcohol is much less expensive in Oregon than Washington now (due to taxes). It used to be the other way around.

Posted by
9420 posts

Horsewoofie, I hear you about TSA maybe making you dump everything out of your 3-1-1 bag... lol.

For others, This was the best example I could find of the one I bought at The Container Store. If you zoom in and look at the bottom of the bag you can see where you get more space than a zip-loc baggie. It complies with the TSA dimensions and I had no problem flying out of SFO and CDG this June.

Posted by
2731 posts

We just got home from 2 weeks in Portland. The Walmart bag worked perfect. TSA didn’t bat an eye. Walked right thru pre-check.
Drove up the WA side to/from Lyle and the OR side to/from Cascade Locks. There’s a handy Fred Meyer off 205 N to buy booze.
We had a great trip for hubby’s 50th class reunion.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Posted by
1412 posts

Congratulations! May this be the beginning of only POSITIVE travel experiences for you@!

Posted by
1662 posts

Hi,

It's great the clear, cosmetic bag worked. True, I've never had an issue with any TSA since I started using them years ago. Actually, a couple of agents asked me where I got them - thought it was a good idea.

Posted by
122 posts

I just came bag from Disney and all I use for travel is a carry on bag. I have a clear bag that holds all my toiletries and such. I came back with a Disney bag that had about 10-12 Disney hotel lotion/shampoo/cond/body wash tubes in it. My bag went right thru the screener with no inspection. I think TSA has gotten lax on their requirements.

Posted by
156 posts

They don’t care as long as each container is under 3 ounces. You can stuff in as many containers as the clear bag will hold. I use travel size bottles collected from hotels for short trips, and often have two or three small shampoo or body wash bottles.