This seemed like the best forum to post my trip preparations and to see what others do. For me, the trip planning (and packing) are all fun parts of the whole experience.
We’ve had to cancel some major trips over the past several years so I’m particularly looking forward to our big planned trip this year - a trip to South Africa. So the these preparations are for that trip, but of course, many of my preparations are the same.
- Make deposit on trip and arrange airfare
- Purchase travel insurance within guidelines to cover pre-existing conditions. I only purchase the amount to cover the current, non-refundable costs. I will add and pay for the additional insurance coverage as I make any non-refundable payments or arrangements.
- Start haunting sites like this one :) So many people generously post ideas and thoughtful questions and I get a lot of pleasure and great ideas from reading what others do.
- I use the free version of the app TripIt to electronically keep my reservations and details as the plans progress. It works okay for me, with some extra inputting and rearranging.
- We enjoy trying new foods so I start researching local foods. I look at a lot of reviews and restaurant websites (and pictures of food!) to get an idea of meals and also costs.
- I start using a currency calculator to become familiar with the exchange rates.
- I add the cities where we will be, in order to start becoming aware of the weather. Also, it helps me to think about the time zone changes.
- I create a trip specific packing list on the app AnyList. I love this app for meal planning and recipes but it’s list function is also great. I have a general packing list that I copy and then add and subtract things from that.
- I start “shopping” in my own house. I’m trying harder to reduce, reuse, and recycle so I want to make very deliberate choices when I buy something. I really want to go out and purchase new bags, clothes, toiletries, etc. , but I’m going to spend a good bit of time sorting through what I have.
- I start looking for fiction books and TV shows and movies written and/or produced in the area. I freely admit that I stay on the light-hearted side of these things.
There are many more things that I do when planning a trip so I will add more later. FYI - this trip takes place in early June 2023. All of the above are things that I’ve been doing for the past two months.
What things do you do to start preparing for your trip?