Please sign in to post.

Top Carry on Bag -- $2,150.00

That is not a misprint. A recent CNN article had an opinion piece on the best, top, ?? carry-on bags. Some evaluation but mostly opinion -- my assessment. In the top three bags was the Sterling Pacific 40L Cabin Travel for $2150.00. Who pays that kind of money for a carry-on bag? That is about ten times the value of my clothes that I could get into the bag. I guess my constant search for a bag less than $75 makes me look cheap.

Posted by
7556 posts

Who pays that kind of money for a carry-on bag?

The same people who pay $5,000 for sheets, or $50,000 for a chandelier in their living room. In other words, people who have way more money than we do. :-)

Posted by
70 posts

Stunning. I want one. But at 12.5 lbs too heavy for a carry-on, as most aluminum bags are (Rimowa included). Price is always relative.

Posted by
5138 posts

To paraphrase Mardee, people who have way more money than sense.

Posted by
7644 posts

I doubt we will be seeing one of these on a RS tour where we are carrying our own luggage. But, that’s probably a bargain price for some elite traveler groups when you consider what celebrities and their followers will pay for a purse or pair of shoes.

Posted by
4551 posts

Frank, thanks for letting us know about this so we can all get one before they sell out. Oh wait-I don't like the aluminum color.

Posted by
10019 posts

And the first commenter said he bought a second one *just to display ! *

Posted by
788 posts

Whoa! you mean there a case that retails for $2150?

So what? Really, so what? It is a beautiful case, and I just cant see making a discussion out of what someone might spend their money on as though there is some shortcoming.

Posted by
207 posts

Traveling with expensive brands of any type are a signal to potential thieves that you have money.

Posted by
954 posts

I recently watched carryons that hadn’t met the weight limit at the gate being literally thrown down a chute from the walkway to be taken and loaded onto the plane. They were bouncing onto the tarmac. $2150, yea right, who does that?

Posted by
291 posts

These articles are so frustrating because they never take into account the weight of the bag. 12.5lbs?!

Posted by
3384 posts

I think they are running out of things to write about.
And yes, the weight means it would get gate-checked!

Posted by
11723 posts

Amazon shows 2 buyer reviews; each gave it 5 stars

Probably that Italian leather that pushes the price up.

The folks that buy that kind of stuff, travel by private jet and do not have to deal with weight limits.

Besides, how much can Taylor Swift's 'unmentionables' weigh that they would push a 12lb bag over the 8-10kg limit some airlines impose?

Posted by
19502 posts

But it is the right size! And how many cases have "The lower part of the case can be secured with the interjecting metal buckle straps."?

Posted by
19232 posts

I don't know where people got a weight of 12.5#. Frank, you didn't provide a link. I found the bag on Amazon and they showed the weight as 16.1#. On Lufthansa, with a weight limit for carryon of 17.6# (8kg), you could only carry on 1½# of clothes!

BTW, at 22½", it's ½ inch too big to check on most domestic airlines and almost an inch too big to check on most European airline.

OK, I found Sterling Pacific's website and they show the weight as 12.0#. Maybe Amazon's weight is shipping weight. Still, that only gives you 5.6# of contents on Lufthansa. You could carry that in a grocery sack, and they only cost 8¢ at my store.

Posted by
7556 posts

VAP, we're just having fun. :-) I don't think anyone is criticising that someone with a lot of money would buy that; in fact, if I had millions of dollars, I'd probably be buying similar items. I used to really limit my hotel budget to screaming cheap, and now I'm spending almost $350 for a hotel room in Paris, which seems (to me) terribly extravagant. But once you get used to something (wealthy lifestyle, automatic garage doors, $2000+ bags), it's hard to go back. ;-)

Posted by
19502 posts

By gosh, Lee, you are correct. But it's aluminum and stainless steel so you could hammer it down an inch or two.

Posted by
77 posts

I bought Briggs and Riley suitcases, which are pretty pricey: but: lifetime guarantee and they are designed to last. You get what you pay for. For those who can't afford these then keep buying cheap junk at Walmart.

Frank,
The $75 criteria for a bag is a good one. It creates a challenge for you and helps to filter out A Lot of bags - decreases bag addiction/hoarding tendencies.

My filter is - I am waiting for RS to make a 27 liter version of his Oslo Bag.

$2,150.00 for a bag is quite reasonable for multimillionaires who know that “you can’t take it with you.”
These same people fly on private luxury jets and have personal assistants to handle their luggage for them. Compare to a Taylor Swift concert ticket or a Super Bowl ticket. The bag lasts much longer. I just hope the factory workers who make expensive luggage are paid well.

I just looked up the case. It looks like a suitcase for high level cartel members, diamond or gold dealers, or Sylvester Stallone’s watch collection. It has its niche.

It comes with a leather wax care kit, pen, and manual. That definitely hikes up the price. I wonder if the wheels are straight line movement only or swivel ... Hmmmm. The dealbreaker for me is the clamshell design. What were the case designers thinking?

Posted by
4551 posts

"Compare to a Taylor Swift Concert ticket" our daughter went to her concert in Nashville and her ticket cost less than $200 and she stayed with a tenth of the price of that bag.

Posted by
7118 posts

Regardless of cost, I'm wondering how a 12 lb bag that's an inch to big for most airlines sizing boxes could possibly be rated 'top carry on bag'. Maybe one of the worst 'best of' ratings I've ever seen.

Posted by
19232 posts

You get what you pay for.

Or less.

I'm sure I paid less than $100 (probably less than $75) for my ebags eTech Weekender. Used it for at least a dozen weeks in Europe and countless days domestically and it's never failed me.

A $2000 bag couldn't have served me any better.

Cala,
Your daughter did really well to get a Taylor ticket under $200. I saw on the news where tickets were running at $600 and upward into the thousands. I would think hotel prices would be upward too, given the crowds. (Just like Super Bowl events).

Posted by
939 posts

The people who buy such an expensive bag have to buy an expensive bag. They have no choice. They live in a world that requires it. No way they would use regular luggage. It would not fly in their circle of friends. A bling life means you have to do certain things.

Posted by
70 posts

The people who buy such an expensive bag have to buy an expensive bag. They have no choice.

That’s a bit of an overstated generalization isn’t it? Of course they do. I have, and know many who buy luxury items because they admire the design, style and fashion of that item and were willing to pay the price. Not right or wrong and no one forced the purchase. But, sure some buy on pressure, I can’t speak to that. To buy cheap is no more a badge of honor than it is to buy something out of someone else’s budget. There are many choices offered in today’s market, you get to choose what you like. No need to dig others for their choice is there?

Just for kicks - I surfed Amazon for expensive luggage. I found a Louis Vuitton for about $3,900. Also, some sort of robot luggage that follows you for about $3,300.

The mega wealthy truly live in a different world than most of us. I would be more worried about the suitcase being stolen rather than the contents.

People who can afford this stuff probably think nothing of the cost.

Posted by
1478 posts

Sun baked..... or the robot bag deciding to no longer recognize you as it's over lord and going rogue one dark night...

.. ~haunted robot music~

Doric,
I’m contemplating the different ways robot luggage can go rogue.

Mine would say - not Budget Airline Again! I’m going to find a luxury jet - then roll away. Or, perhaps find a lovely Italian leather bag to hang out with. Robot romance.

Posted by
4551 posts

treemoss2, that is so sad to have friends like that. What's the point of having all that money if it means you "have to" do certain things? Doesn't this make you appreciate your own friends? I bet Warren Buffett doesn't feel the need to buy pricey luggage to fit in with his friends.

Posted by
32318 posts

I can't imagine what would make a piece of luggage worth $2150. I wouldn't pay that much even if I did have the money. I wonder how shiny it will look after its been bounced off the tarmac a few times by baggage handlers.

Posted by
933 posts

people who have way more money than sense

Wow, do I hate this phrase. It suggests that everyone should have the same priorities when spending money. I'm dirt cheap on many things, but my golf costs me well into four figures per month. And I'm well pleased to spend it.

Posted by
788 posts

So no one has ever traveled in a premium cabin, stayed at a luxury resort, paid a pretty penny for a fleeting experience or bought a pair of Bose headphones?

Posted by
32318 posts

"So no one has ever traveled in a premium cabin, stayed at a luxury resort, paid a pretty penny for a fleeting experience or bought a pair of Bose headphones?"

In my case, there's a range of expenses that I can reasonably afford, and a $2K luggage item is above that range. I usually book Premium Economy for long flights these days, and don't mind spending a reasonable amount for other expenses. I recently watched a very informative video describing a rail trip on the Orient Express and booking one of the suites for £116,000 for about a five day trip would far exceed my limit.

One of my splurges a short time ago (just after the pandemic ended) was to attend an Eagles concert. I stayed in a really nice hotel, dined in top notch restaurants, booked a Limo in from the airport and got a really good seat for the concert. I can't remember the exact cost but I'm sure it was several thousand dollars. It was worth every penny!!!

Posted by
1182 posts

I thought it looked worth two grand. When you read about it, the materials are all top quality, it's a really nice bit of design aesthetically, and I'd hope its construction is sound enough to take a beating. Probably being produced largely by hand in small numbers. It has the same sort of riveted on corner bumpers you'd see on a road case for shipping gear for touring music. Way cooler than Louis Vuitton for about the same sort of price.

https://uk.louisvuitton.com/eng-gb/products/horizon-50-014182/M23209

Posted by
3 posts

I think I will stick to my RS through the back door bag, and use the money for a few more plane tickets. The weight is a deal killer for me. I even cut compression straps out my bags since I don't use them and the grams saved add up to kilos.