Please sign in to post.

Socks

After years of wearing Smartwool socks, they are driving me crazy. My feet really itch while wearing them. I have to wonder if I have developed some kind of allergy.

Has anyone had any luck with any other types of socks? I want something that is quick drying after washing them in a sink.

If you have, I'd like suggestions. Thanks.

Posted by
13931 posts

Well, I'm not sure you will like my choice! I have changed over to Injinji toe socks. I wear Correct Toes toe spacers and developed a huge blister on my toe wearing them with Smartwool socks in the Paris heat of August 2016. The toe socks work much better as my toes are separated and kept dry.

They don't dry as fast as the lightweight PhD Smartwool socks I have but they do dry overnight.

https://www.zappos.com/marty/injinji-men-socks/CKvXARDO1wFSApAQwAEC4gIEAQIYCg.zso

Posted by
16234 posts

Are you sure it is the wool and not the soap or detergent you use to wash them?

Posted by
4154 posts

You might try Sockwells. I've had a life-long battle with wool, but I wear the women's circulator socks regularly and was very surprised to learn that they are partially made of merino wool.

This is a link to men's Sockwells. There are a variety of styles and there are many online vendors that sell them.

Posted by
2705 posts

I’m sold on Tilley socks (yes, same company that makes the hats) https://www.tilley.com/us_en/ta800-calf-length-travel-socks.html. Several models high and low. Initially costly but I have some 6-7 years old, look like new. Don’t put them in the dryer! I tried Wrightsocks and like them but they pill after a few washes and don’t look great so I use them for the gym. Sockwell have a high proportion of Merino wool, similar to Smartwool, so, if you are sensitive to the wool might not be the best choice. I have tried to love Merino wool but everything itches.

Posted by
1307 posts

I’m also a big fan of Sockwell socks. I’m wearing a pair right now and have 2 more pair in my bag.
They are expensive, in my opinion, but they wear well, dry pretty quickly, and are very comfortable.
REI occasionally has them on sale.
I would also wonder, Frank ll, if you need to better rinse out the soap you are using to launder your Smartwool ones.

Posted by
2731 posts

I’ve had great luck with WrightSocks. They’re available at REI or go to Wright Sock’s website for more selection. I wear the cool mesh tab socks to keep my feet cool in AZ heat. I haven’t tried their crew socks but did buy them for a friend and he liked them.
I started wearing Wright Socks when I did the Breast Cancer 3-day Walk— 60 miles in 3 days. No blisters during 6 months of training or the walk.

Just a follow-up note to other posts: My 10-y/o Wright socks did pill a bit but my purchase from a year ago didn’t. One of the 3-Day sponsors was Thorlo. They sent out socks to all the participants. The socks are thick, very hot (walking on AZ hot concrete) and gave people blisters. They last forever so I use them inside my rubber barn boots in the winter to muck horse stalls.

Posted by
8437 posts

Frank II, I like Smartwool socks too. However, I also have taken Under Armour "charged cotton" socks, which I find very comfortable. They're a blend of cotton with some other stuff that makes them dry faster and softer than regular cotton socks. Fairly inexpensive too, at the big sporting goods chains.

Posted by
545 posts

I like Thorlo cushioned socks. Not sure how quick-drying they are, but I have hand-washed them while traveling and they were dry within 24 hours. They have various thicknesses depending on the needs of your feet. About $13-$15 a pair, but they are well made.

Posted by
23266 posts

I have years used a lamp wool blend from Costco. Also have some merino wool socks that work equally well. Never thought Smartwool was worth the price.

Posted by
16234 posts

I liked Thorlo hiking socks until I wore them on a backpack trip to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. I got such bad blisters on my heels Inhad to Duct Tape my feet to get back up. After that I switched to Smartwool sox and have never looked back. Nor have I had blisters. I buy them on sale at REI or other websites so they are not expensive.

In addition to using them for hiking, I like the thinner ones ( PhD are great) for city walking.).

But I will admit that my other favorite socks for city walking (thiner than hiking socks) are the Pearl Izumi cycling socks. I have walked for up to 10 miles in cities from Barcelona to Venice to New York in these.

Posted by
5697 posts

Maybe a reaction to the dye ?? I recently got a rash and it cleared up when I switched to white cotton socks. Maybe as suggested I'll put the Costco wool socks through a wash cycle with NO soap and try them again.

Posted by
3551 posts

Thorlos for me. However the shoe , the orthotic and the sock all have to be fit well to accomplish max comfort etc. not easy as with time our feet chg.
But worth the xtra effort and expense.

Posted by
59 posts

Maybe a bamboo sock. They are odor resistant like wool. Something I've been thinking about :)

Posted by
408 posts

I've long preferred Darn Tough socks to Smartwool. They last longer and are cooler in the summer, in my experience. I've also had good luck with Mephisto wool socks -- I think their wool socks are sold in the USA under the "NYC" and "Newport" names.

But the Darn Tough socks are the most durable of any I've found so far. I've used them for years traveling around Europe and they dry in a few hours if well-wrung after washing and rinsing. They come in a wide range of fabric thicknesses and degree of cushioning. Plus, if it's important to you, they're made in the USA.

Posted by
4573 posts

A number of factors can cause a reaction, as mentioned. Check the content label for starters then you need to try and narrow down which fiber may be causing the problem. Costco merino socks have a lot of man made fibres in them, and I see some Smartwool types (walking) have less wool as well. Some people react to nylon, so try a different fibre content makeup...it might not be ALL Smarteool socks that will cause the problem. The laundry soap should also be considered.
I like the very tight spin on the Darn Tough socks yarn which makes the socks durable, but also means less 'fluffy' yarn...which might be leading to an itching problem now.

Posted by
2335 posts

If you don't want to invest in all new socks, you might consider getting light weight liner socks to wear under your Smartwools. I have several pairs of silk liners that I wear under my hiking socks - they have the added bonus of absorbing odors and sweat, alleviate blistering, and make your main socks last longer between washings. Liners wash and dry very quickly.

Some examples here: https://www.rei.com/c/liner-socks?r=c&origin=web&ir=category%3Aliner-socks&page=1

Posted by
14507 posts

Traveling in early summer and high season when the weather can normally be expected to be warm to hot, I wear white cotton blend socks bought at Costco, made in the US or the Dominican Rep. No problems with cotton socks.

Posted by
1411 posts

However, our allergies can evolve over time. I spent a yr in Florida for a certification program, got horrible rash from my metal watch band (that id worn for yrs) and also on the bridge of my nose and temples where my glasses touched. My dermatologist said the constant humidity was the tipping point, I went to plastic glasses and no watch and eventually it cleared up. Looked like leprosy at its peak

Posted by
1221 posts

I've got a longstanding wool allergy and tend to randomly pull Thorlos, athletic socks bought from my local running store, and Muji's reused yarn socks when I'm packing for a trip.

Posted by
2602 posts

Wrightsocks are my alternate choice, though I prefer Smartwool for the patterns, colors and various thicknesses. The thin built-in liner in Wrightsocks really does absorb the friction, perfect for epic bouts of walking and I find they dry overnight when washed on vacation and hung to dry.

Posted by
488 posts

Merino wool has a number of wonderful properties however, you need to take precautions when washing.

• Air dry, do not put into the drier. Heat will promote shrinking, dry-out the wool fiber and result in a rough, course feel. Do this multiple times over the socks lifetime, and it'll go from nice and soft to, rough, scratchy.

• Don't use too much detergent. Washing synthetics like fleece and quick-dry garments, along with wool fabrics do not require a lot of detergent.

• No need for drier sheets or, fabric softeners. In fact those chemicals will help strip the soft oils that protect the wool fibers.

As for personal preference, I prefer Darn Tough.

Posted by
37 posts

I tried Wright Socks and wasn't a big fan. I didn't like the feel of an inner sock, though it was cotton. They also pilled after wearing them a couple of times. My sport socks of choice were purchased at Walking Company and are made of bamboo. They are soft and lightweight. They take a day to air dry.

Posted by
1188 posts

Cotton. I sink wash and hang to dry overnight. Next morning, i put any damp sock over the hair dryer and blow the inside of the sock. After 30 to 60 seconds, i have crispy dry fresh socks. I never wear or carry dirty stinky socks.

Posted by
8942 posts

I think it is the wool in the socks. My ankles have developed really dry rashy patches on them (I wear hiking boots all of the time). If it was detergent, I would have these patches everywhere. Tried wearing knee high hosiery under the socks, but this hasn't helped at all. It doesn't itch, but it is so very, very dry and certainly not attractive.

Posted by
81 posts

Frank II,
When washing any type of merino wool article of clothing, you should use minimal laundry detergent and never use any type of fabric softener at all. This may be the cause of the itching if you use a significant amount of detergent and use fabric softener. I have worn Smartwool socks for about 8 or 9 years and have never had that issue, but then I have always washed my merino wool clothing together and as recommended. I have very sensitive skin and wear merino wool tops, blouses, skirts, pants, etc., without issue in addition to socks and leggings. Perhaps it is time to invest in some new ones?