Please sign in to post.

RS Convertible Carry On and KLM Airline

Hi,

I originally posted this on the Italy forum but realized it may be better here.

I have the Rick Steves Convertible Carry On that measures 14x21x9. I see that KLMs measurements for a carry on are 13.5x21.5x10. So I am a 1/2 inch larger in the one dimension. Has anyone else flown KLM with this bag and if so did you have any issues? I was hoping that maybe since I have room in the other dimensions and the bag is soft if will kind of smoosh into their measuring bin?

Thoughts and help are greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Posted by
5835 posts

I have been using my RS Classic (21" x1 4" x 9") for a long time and haven't had a carry-on rejection. The bags are soft (no rigid frame) and a cm or so difference shouldn't matter unless you over pack (stuff your bag). As long as you can squeeze the packed back into the sizing frame you are good to carry on your bag.

If it fits (the sizing frame) it flies is a legitimate rule. If you can squeeze your bag into the size checker you should be able to squeeze your bag into the overhead and push the door shut. With a rigid frame (typical roller) the rigid frame can keep the door from latching if the bag is too long.

Posted by
19092 posts

The cross-section area of your 14x9 bag is 126 sq. in. The cross-sectional area of the KLM allowance is 135 sq. in., so unless your bag is packed to the seams or has something rigid, it should squish to fit. Or as long as you don't have a bulging pocket protruding over the 10 in thickness ....

Posted by
25 posts

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate you taking the time!

I'm glad you think the smooshing will work too! :)

Posted by
2459 posts

I've used the same bag on Lufthansa with no problems, but haven't flown KLM.
And when I'm fully packed the outer cinch straps on the RS bag usually cinch down as far as they possibly can.

Posted by
2712 posts

I just took two flights on KLM and they didn’t check the size of bags. This after I was filling my jacket pockets on the first flight to get under the maximum weight. Of course I have no idea if it is the same at all airports.

Posted by
985 posts

Jilly, I've used that bag for three trips to Europe, flying Delta, Air France, and KLM. No one has ever checked my bag size. I did check it myself (at an empty gate) and with some determination got it into sizer box, getting it back out with difficulty. It's not really the length of the bag I have trouble with but bulk around the middle. I usually have to push and shove to get it into the overhead on the small planes to ATL but have no trouble on the bigger planes. My flattest (but fullest) bag was using big ziploc's instead of packing cubes. I sat on them as I zipped them closed to get most of the air out. I mean that bag looked streamlined. It was beautiful to behold. Then security at AMS fixed that by unpacking everything. I always wrap a wide bag cincher around the middle to take any pressure off the zipper and that helps. As long as you don't fill it to bursting you should be okay.

Posted by
25 posts

I’m going to use the bag. Your responses were very helpful and thanks again for taking the time!
Jill

Posted by
565 posts

I use Delta with AMS as my European base for transfers. My past two trips I had to give up my RS rolling case at the connecting gate.
The regional jets were CRJ 900 and EMB 190. My bag was not over stuffed, outside pockets not used, and weighed#20. Once I was on the plane I could see that it possibly could fit sideways but not wheels in first in the overhead bin. Many people had bags much smaller than me. I suppose they were just traveling within Europe and not US>Europe. The overhead bins went to them.
I have the convertible carryon and working on using that in two weeks but its not looking bright for me.

Posted by
2740 posts

We just flew KLM from London City to Amsterdam. We used a pair of RS Converrtible bags. No one batted an eye.

The only issue was a fight with the pair of snowflakes behind us because they had placed a a paper bag into the bin along with one smaller carryon and did not want to put it under our seat or hold it in their laps for 50 minutes. They relented when they realized we would crush it with our bags. I am certain the flight attendant would have had them take it down if it came to that.

Posted by
92 posts

We flew KLM two years ago. SFO to Amsterdam. The issue was not size but weight. They weighed my roller bag plus my personal item together. I forget the weight limit at that time, but we were both 1-2 pounds over and had to check our roller bags. This would have been the time to stuff pockets, but we had no warning this was going to happen. All accepted cabin luggage was tagged and checked on boarding. It may not be the same anymore, but last year we had the same requirements with Air France. They weighed the carry-on bag plus the personal item together and these had to meet their weight limit not to be checked.