Please sign in to post.

Question for the ladies

How many bras do you bring 2? 3? I am of an age/size that going without a bra is not an option. I will be traveling in Italy this summer for 2 months with only a 22" carryon so I am all about packing light.

Thanks

Posted by
7049 posts

You'll have to sink wash them no matter what since you're gone so long, so I would say 2 so you have one to spare while one is drying (I always bring one white/light colored one and one dark to match clothes). You can bring 3, but that seems like 1 too many...it really depends how often you plan on washing them.

Posted by
3952 posts

Three and see how fast the ones you currently own air dry. Although in Italy, in the summer, I've never had an issue drying anything.

Posted by
15808 posts

No more than two. Wear one while the other is drying.

Posted by
2602 posts

Just 2, wear one, pack the other and wash every few days. I only wear dark clothes so theyā€™re both black.

Posted by
11316 posts

I hate the daily wash so I wear one and bring three. I never wear light colored tops when traveling, so black for all. I wash three at a time. I travel with a 21" rollaboard, BTW.

Posted by
332 posts

I usually bring 2 for a three week trip, both neutral colored, which work well under light and dark clothing. I'd much rather pack a few more pairs of panties than bras.

Posted by
3245 posts

I just bring 2. Make sure that at least one is broken-in enough that it won't cut you in two on the flight from the States.

Posted by
2732 posts

The "girls" hate elastic, so I force myself to pack 1 beige bra and gladly take camisoles, pack 1 and wear 1. My vanity lost out to comfort and being on the smallish side, the sag isn't awful.

Posted by
3207 posts

I'm buxom. I wouldn't dream of only 2 bras. I wear a sports bra in transit so I can make it through security...most of the time...without a pat down. So I pack 3 bras, as I don't chose to spend a typical day in a sports bra. And if I brought only 2, I'd really hate to have one fail and be stuck with the same bra for the entire trip as mine are not easily replaced. So be on the conservative side and take more. They don't take up much room.

Posted by
1194 posts

Iā€™m a DD cup so must have a bra. I take 2 work-to-workout underwire bras in a skin tone shade. That keeps them from showing under any of my clothes The work to workout bras are good for running, hiking, or normal wear. The bras are made of quick dry material.
I will bring one extra bra if the trip involves swimming. Thatā€™s because I wear a rash guard instead of a swim suit so I need support underneath.
Iā€™ve managed to get it all into a 16 liter personal item bag.
BTW, I usually take 4-5 panties.
This includes what I wear on the plane.

Posted by
7029 posts

I always wear 1 and bring 2, they're light and don't take up much room. In the summer I usually have 2 white/light and 1 black, in the winter I usually have 2 black and 1 white/light - based on the lighter colored tops in the summer and darker in the winter. I also usually bring 7 undies (wear 1 and bring 6). I normally plan to wash once a week when traveling for longer than a week so I don't have to sink wash. I still want clothes, including underclothes that dry quickly without a dryer because usually I have a washer but not a dryer in Europe.

Posted by
489 posts

The idea to hand wash one in your sink at home is an excellent idea so you can get an idea of how fast they dry. Drying in the summer while in Italy should not be a problem, however it will be hot so you will probably want to wash one every night.
Some bras take up quite a lot of room (padded). Mine are not padded (enough natural padding here, lol!) But I wear one and pack 2, then I don't have to wash every night... It is a vacation, I usually wash 2 when I will be at some accommodations for 2 nights or more and let them dry for the day and evening. I have never had more than 3 on a trip.
Since this is only a question for the ladies, I would also suggest that to make it easier to wash undies in the sink.. get the quick drying ones and also take panti liners. If you don't pack them, you can easily find them in almost every grocery in Europe.

Posted by
7029 posts

also take panti liners.

Absolutely! I don't travel without them. Even if you don't need them for everyday use at home, they will extend the time between washings needed for your jeans and slacks - always a plus when traveling.

Posted by
5581 posts

I always wear one, bring two, even when traveling a month. Has anyone run into this? One small inn had a sign posted in the bathroom, "No Clothes Washing". I decided that I would still wash what I intended to which was one bra and a pair of socks. I never got a reprimand but I'm not sure if they were ok with that. I wonder if they've had frustrations with people washing an entire wardrobe?

Posted by
3595 posts

In my opinion, the length of your stay is irrelevant. 2 weeks or 2 months, youā€™ll need to do laundry. I plan around laundry once/week or so. 4 bras, one on me, 8 pairs of underpants, one on me. I fit them in a 20ā€ suitcase, along with 2 pairs of shoes, another on me, sleepwear, toiletries, electronics, 5 bottoms, 7 or 8 tops, umbrella, at least one cardigan, some books, and miscellany.

As for traveling light, I think there is a segment of the forum frequenters who make a fetish of that. I like to be clean and to look nice. I can do so with what Iā€™ve described. How much space or weight will another bra or pairs of underpants add, anyhow?

Posted by
4320 posts

wear one, wash one, have a clean in reserve-3 total.

Posted by
173 posts

I take a total of 3 bras and 7 panties. I wash them with shampoo when I take my nightly shower. I use a towel to wring out as much water as possible. If still damp in the morning, I hang them in the closet so they are not hanging in the bathroom when housekeeping services the room. I do the same with lightweight tops (and bottoms) that I plan to wear again.

Posted by
1194 posts

As for traveling light, I think there is a segment of the forum frequenters who make a fetish of that. I like to be clean and to look nice.

These two things are not exclusionary. You can travel light AND be clean and look nice.

How much space or weight will another bra or pairs of underpants add, anyhow?

OK, Iā€™m an engineer so I had to find out!
My bra weighs 3.15 oz. My undies weigh 1.15 oz.

You take 5 bras and I usually take 2. So you would take 9.45 oz more bras. (3 x 3.15)
You take 8 undies and I take 5 max. So you take 3.45 oz more undies.

9.45 + 3.45 = 12.9 oz. So more than 3/4 pound extra.

It sounds crazy at first glance but this is where weight creep can be a gotcha. Especially when it happens in clothes, electronics, books, shoes, jewelry too.

Posted by
1194 posts

@sandybwb

I like to wash my clothes in the shower too. Somehow itā€™s easier if you are already in the shower and wet. Just soap up the garments and have a go at them. No worries about splashing! Step out of the shower, put on clean underwear and hang up wet underwear. Housekeeping never sees the undies because they are dry and put away the next morning.

This may be TMI but I usually change out my undies right after I shower. I prefer to shower in the early evening as Iā€™m sweaty from the days activities. This gives time for the clothes to dry overnight. Thereā€™s no need to change undies in the morning as Iā€™m still clean AND itā€™s been less than 24 hours. Iā€™m still on the 24 hour swap out schedule, just shifted to the late afternoon.

Posted by
1625 posts

One of each: Black, white, dark grey and beige. I wear one and the other three fit into each other in a packing cube. Underwire with no padding, so they don't bend so good, but really not an issue. My clothes are the same colors, Black, white and grey and I wear a lot of tanks and can't stand a dark bra under a light colored shirt. I never skimp on my underthings. I take lots of undies as well (all cotton-cant stand anything else). You can wear the same shirt and pants days and days in a row, underwear not so much, okay not at all!

Posted by
2732 posts

Love all your suggestions. Wash clothes while taking a shower, great idea. Sounds easier than the sink. I hadnā€™t thought about panty liners so theyā€™re now on my packing list along with 6 pair of panties.

As for weight, last year I used a food scale to weigh every piece of clothing, then reweighed after they were packed in packing cubes and finally reweighed when packed in carryon and tote. Canā€™t remember the final weight but it was very manageable. My dresser is 9ā€ off the bedroom floor so if the packed suitcase fit under it, I was American Airlines compliant.

Bras are not a heavy item. I say take as many as you need to get you through until laundry day. You may want an extra if you get sweaty. Taking 5 bras (or more) is not a big issue. I use larger, heavier bras and just pack as many as I want.

Posted by
4154 posts

Wray said this, "if I brought only 2, I'd really hate to have one fail and be stuck with the same bra for the entire trip as mine are not easily replaced". Don't be so sure of that. It may not be easy or perfect, but it probably can be done.

That comment reminded of an incident on my first European trip back in 1977. I only had 2 bras. One black one went AWOL while I was packing in a dark room. I was in Greece. I went to a lingerie store to try to replace it. The two women there spoke no English and I spoke no Greek.

They measured for the band size, but had no way of determining cup size. The solution? One of them simply grabbed one of the girls! She went in the back and amazingly returned with the perfect size. It may not have been my preferred brand or style, but it worked.

Needless to say, the three of us were giggling the whole time, and by the end we were in stitches we were laughing so hard. I hope they've had as much fun remembering and telling that story over the years as I have.

I'm taking only 2 bras on my trip next month. I guess I'd better make a note of my size in Scandinavia.

Posted by
2349 posts

Some of you should keep these confessions in the anonymity of cyber space. Do not tell your family at the Thanksgiving dinner that you weigh your undies on the kitchen scale.

I wear Big Momma bras. (That's not a brand name!) They're expensive and I try to take care of them right. I never ever put them in the washer or dryer. I have four that I rotate and I hand wash them weekly. On a short trip, I'll just take one spare. On a longer one I'll take two spares.

Household hint- To rotate my bras, I hang them on a hook in my closet. Every day, I take the one on the bottom.

Sigh. I wish I could just wear a camisole.

Posted by
1194 posts

Itā€™s a good thing the scale has a stainless steel plate that can easily be wiped down! And we are weighing clean undies I hope.

Bra weight can be pretty variable depending on features. For me, two bras weigh more than one shirt.

Iā€™d rather bring the shirt.

Posted by
3952 posts

Oh Lo, now you have me in stitches šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Posted by
184 posts

Lo, I love your story!! This forum definitely needs a like button.

Posted by
81 posts

After breast cancer last summer and subsequent surgery to reduce and reorganize both sides, I now have to wear bras with some padding and no underwire. I can only wear bras designed for breast cancer patients and have to get them from a specialty store as I still wear the same size bra around that I wore before, but with much, much smaller cups; therefore, I could not replace them easily if at all. Before last summer, I definitely had to wear a bra; however, there is no sag now. The only reason I really need to wear a bra now (besides modesty) is to look nicer in my clothes. Also, as they are shaped, padded, heavy an unable to fold or bend, I would carry 2 in addition to the one I was wearing for a total of 3. Perhaps in colder weather, I could substitute a camisole for one of the bras and would be glad to do so as bras hurt the scars. Before last summer, I only would have taken a total of 2 no matter the season.

Posted by
996 posts

This is a GREAT thread! I always struggle with how many this/that to pack, and packing for me is completely different than packing for my other half.

I generally wear one bra and pack two. That gives me enough options in case something doesn't dry quickly enough!

Posted by
30 posts

You ladies are the best! I never thought of bringing panty liners or washing clothes in the shower. I also hadnā€™t considered a bragoing AWOL (loved the story about bra shopping). I was a little concerned my op was a dumb question but Iā€™m so glad I asked as I have learned a lot!

Posted by
2349 posts

Last year I bought a couple stretchy bras. After work I am so ready to be out of my regular Iron Maiden bra, especially in the summer. But I want to be able to sit out on my porch in a semi presentable state. I didn't want to be Old Lady Floppy Boobs. They were OK as "house bras" but I found that struggling into them when I was already hot and sticky to be more trouble than they were worth.

Posted by
105 posts

Panty liners are the best. Also, I recently discovered the slip short - like underwear shorts. Such a game changer for wearing skirts, especially in hot weather. No chafing! Can't believe it took me so long.

Posted by
59 posts

I like my ladies in place. I bring 2 sports bra and then take a supportive but lighter weight bra. I find my sport bras take longer to dry. I also bring a supportive bikini top I wear under my one piece to keep anything from popping out to say hi. That bikini top is a nice one I can wear as an extra bra too.
I find after being sweaty from the day it is nice to change into a fresh bra. Also with semi larger ladies...when one changes out the bra for night time it tends to give relief from pressure spots.
I make sure my shirts dont show my bra so the color doesnt matter so much as long as I take a neutral (which I find a light grey acts as that) so my one sports bra is fusia and grey the other sports a grey and the lighterweight one black.
I take as many undies as I can :) change those out at night too then another at bedtime sometimes depending on the activities. Amazing I get under 17.5 pounds.
It would be nice to be able to wear a cami :)

Posted by
18 posts

This has been such a helpful thread! Thanks to bjs323 for asking the question and to everyone whoā€™s responded.

Posted by
1034 posts

Since we're now discussing both tops and bottoms, I'll add that I find panty liners very uncomfortable and unpleasant to wear. My daughters have switched to reusable period panties that control leaks with built-in cloth pads (and Diva cups, but that's another story.) They find them far more comfortable and also good for their save-the-planet sensibilities. I don't need them for the same purpose, but since I, um, sneeze occasionally, I looked them up. Sure enough, they're marketed for that purpose too, so I'm switching to those and giving up twisty little wads of adhesive and paper. These panties will wash out as well in the shower as regular ones, and are breathable/quick drying. Check out Knixwear or Thinkx if you're interested.

On the bra side, I also have switched to Knixwear NO UNDERWIRE bras. Love them, and I'm not tiny. They're reversible, comfortable and easy to hand wash/dry.

I also have Knixwear slip shorts, and I'm happy to be able to wear skirts and dresses again comfortably. They are very breathable and are not compression/shapewear so not so tight and hot.

Posted by
1194 posts

I recently tried the Modibodi period panties. They are bamboo.

I wasnā€™t happy with them. Theyā€™re quite comfy, but were hot when hiking. They were soaked with sweat by the end of the hike. They also started to pill. That shouldnā€™t be happening after the first wearing!

I looked at the Thinx panties but read that they have smaller leg holes. I have a powerful and athletic butt and legs. I figured they wouldnā€™t work for me.

Posted by
919 posts

Also, for anyone who isnā€™t used to dealing with humid heat, I recommend taking a small container of talcum powder or Gold Bond (they make a cornstarch baby powder if youā€™re concerned about talc that has a better scent than their regular powder.)

Posted by
1436 posts

Several years ago I bought some Jockey microfiber panties for a European trip. I wore those underwear every day for at least 8 years til they were falling apart. Got some new ones for our upcoming trip. They are incredibly comfortable, breathable and dry quickly. I've never had a pair not dry overnight.

Posted by
15808 posts

I never thought of bringing panty liners or washing clothes in the
shower.

Dudette, hang out with us for awhile and you'll learn all sorts of interesting (!) things. Ha.

Posted by
12 posts

Love this forum.
Re: bras-I'm with those who wear one and take 2 spare- Also with taking 4 extra panties. I also either wash undies (and bathing suits) inshower or have them soaking in the sink. I always hand wash undies; hanging them to dry overnight.
Italy was the first country that I found whose laundry machines locked. SO GREAT! Throw a load in and while away the time in a cafe, which were conveniently a door or two away. I keep a couple of dryer sheets & a couple of large zip lock bags or hotel laundry bags in my suitcase. If undies aren't 100% dry and you're on the move, pop them in a bag. Shake them out and rehang at your next destination. The dryer sheet will keep everything a little fresher. The laundry bag works great as a divider between fresh and soiled clothes.

Posted by
7029 posts

what are slip shorts?

Just google it. There are lots of styles. I used to wear them a lot when traveling in summer, not so much anymore.

Posted by
106 posts

Wonderful discussion, ladies! We took our first European trip/tour this spring and were gone 2 weeks. After reading ALL the packing posts, I settled on 2 bras, both underwire (had no trouble through security anywhere, btw), 6 panties, and 4 pair low-cut sox. Next time, especially in hot weather, I'll take more bras and sox and fewer panties. Changing sox mid-day and in the evening kept my feet happy. My 'girls' would have enjoyed a bra change in the evening as well. Since I was constantly hand washing, fewer panties would have been fine. Besides, there wasn't always a lot of hanging space even with my trusty RS drying line.

Posted by
303 posts

We just returned from a 2 1/2 week trip using only carry on luggage. I also packed few bras and panties. 4 of the former and 5 of the latter. What no one has discussed is how you hang them! I always take a couple of plastic hooks==the kind that have a hanger feature but only a clip that can hold a damp bra and let it hang from a shower head or curtain rod. I also take a couple plastic skirt hangers for panties. Like it was suggested previously, I roll out as much moisture from the washed item in a towel so it dries faster. These things made my hand washing and drying much easier.

Posted by
10222 posts

I had never heard of slip shorts, so I had to Google it. Perfect for my trip. I'm leaving next week for 3 weeks and am packing a couple of dresses. I went out yesterday and bought 2 pair. I don't think I'll need to sink wash on this trip. When sink washing is done I like inflatable hangers. I also have something that has one hook to hang from a showerhead or similar, and it has about 8 little clothes pins attached. It's great for socks, underwear and bras.

Posted by
173 posts

I use the clothespin hooks described above. Ordered a pack of 10 or 12 from Amazon and shared them with my sister/roommate.

Posted by
489 posts

For drying the RS drying cord is nothing but two strings of elastic twisted. So no need for clothes pins, just put the wet clothing piece between the twisted elastic and string up tight. The finesse comes when finding what to wrap the hook and elastic around. After 3 years and many many days of use... works great!

Posted by
1194 posts

I use the flex-o-line clothes line. Itā€™s triple braided surgical tubing. Itā€™s very stretchy and strong. I put a small S-biner on one end.

I usually wrap one end around the shower head and the other end around the towel bar nearby. That keeps most of the dripping water in the tub.

For shirts I use an inflatable hanger.

Posted by
16261 posts

I just received my Knixwear Evolution no-wire bra I ordered after getting a $10 off offer. The bra is bonded, seamles, and wholly reversible. Mine goes from beige to black and they include straps in both colors. There is no stitching anywhere and the edges are cut and fused so they do not ravel. It is very lightweight and comfortable, and will pack very small.

https://www.knixwear.com/products/8-in-1-evolution-bra

I cannot judge how well it would work for a full-breasted woman, but the size 2 supports my 32C girls very well, without that "unibreast" look one can get with sports bras. At 60% nylon/40% spandex, it should dry pretty quickly. It is definitely going on our next trip as one of 3-4 bras.

Posted by
59 posts

The sports bras I have are victoria secret. Now I would never recommend victoria secret usually as their bras and panties fall a part even when hand washed but their sports bras are very supportive without being uniboob hehe I know thats a huge problem with most sports bras but if anyone wanted to know a kind that is like a normal bra with amazing support. Its vs sports bras. Just buy them on ebay. I love the one I have that has a little padding for lift no underwire and is made more for yoga. I like I can run and everything stays in place :)
Im also going to check out the knixwear. It sounds like it would be very comfy. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by
1194 posts

Not all sports bras are uniboob. Work to workout bras separate so they can be worn under normal clothes. Thatā€™s what makes them so great for travel. You can wear them normally or for running.

Posted by
16261 posts

For several years after cancer treatment I needed the high compression of the "uni" style sports bra for my athletic activities, so that is what I bought and still have. Can someone suggest a good brand of the "work to workout" style I should try? I am thinking the Knixwear one may not be firm enough for running. I still can't have underwires, and that seems to be what Title 9 and Athleta rely on to solve the problem. Should I hold my nose and look at the Victoria's Secret one?

Posted by
16261 posts

Thanks, CindyH. I started on this Work to Workout page:

https://www.titlenine.com/category/womens-sports-bras/everyday-work-to-workout-bras.do

And filtered for 4 barbells. They showed three, of which one has wires. The AC Sport at $79 is more than I want to pay, and ugly to boot. The Beige Aero might work, though still fairly pricy at $69. I also looked at 3 barbells which should still be OK for running for me. I like the Hallelujah but they do not offer it with a 32" band. The "Beauty and Brains" gets bad reviews and a low rating (2.5 stars).

So I will order the Aero and see if it is worth the $$$. Thanks again for your help.

Posted by
7282 posts

I usually have 4 bras and 4 panties in my packing list. When Iā€™m so active walking all over, I like to take a quick 2nd shower after lunch or before dinner and change underwear. 4 of each gives me at least two days and up to four days on less active days.

Iā€™ve had an underwire break at work (luckily was wearing a cardigan sweater layer) and immediately thought of not wanting to be down to one bra on a trip, although Loā€™s story is a kick! I want to have fun on vacation and shopping for bras is one of my least favorite tasks - ugh!

Cindy H, Iā€™m an engineer, too, so I had fun weighing mine. My husbandā€™s face was hopeful and then quizzical since I use the scale for making croissants!

Posted by
59 posts

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/323246040420

Something like that above maybe.

Lol Lola hold your nose and try one victoria secret. They are cheap on ebay. The padded wireless do hold you in well and look nice under clothes.
I know vs blaghh but this one bra isn't to shabby. Just dont pay full price.
Maybe try a few in the store then buy them cheap online.
Bra shopping heaven help haha

Posted by
1034 posts

@Lola and anyone else interested - my 24 year old daughter, 32D, confirmed that the Knixwear sports bras are too bouncy for running. I wear them for rowing/biking/walking but I don't run so got her input. For lower impact sports, they are great. Supportive enough but not so strangling that I can't get them off after a workout.

Posted by
1194 posts

Lola - Iā€™d love to hear how the Aero works out. I would love to go without underwires.

Jean, I havenā€™t had an underwire break in years. That particular bra had a plastic underwire. I still remember it though, as it was a painful poke. I abandoned that brand.

Posted by
305 posts

Wear 1 bring 2. Sometimes I will wear 2 in a day when really hot and always need to have a dry one. I tried the 1 of the 2 pack of lace bra's from Costco for travel days (no underwire beep on the x-ray machine). It worked well and took up no space.

Posted by
10222 posts

I'm busty and always wear bras with underwires. I've never had a problem with beeping when I go through security. Does that really happen?

Posted by
3207 posts

Andrea, I never heard a beep as a result of my underwires, but I was usually stopped afterwards for a pat down, and often the explosive check, etc. when I wore them. I always received 'special attention' at Heathrow. Once I started wearing sports bras in transit, the special attention stopped except for once thru Heathrow this spring. When I asked about it, they said mine was just a random choice this time.

Posted by
16261 posts

Andrea, these days many underwires are plastic, not metal, so they do not trigger the metal detector.

Posted by
10222 posts

Thanks for the underwire information. I am sometimes pulled over for special attention at security. I always figured it was random. Maybe not?

Posted by
16261 posts

My understanding is that most metal detectors work by measuring the cumulative total of all the metal on (or in) your body, including rings and other jewelry, buttons and snaps, zippers, glasses, etc.

I keep jewelry to a minimum ( wedding band and one other ring, small silver chain around my neck, and a very thin watchband). But I also have metal markers in my chest from the cancer surgery (lumpectomy). They are tiny but somehow the total is enough to trigger some security scanners, and I have to get wanded. Always with extra attention to the chest area, presumably because that area alerted. Fortunately it has not reached the level of a patdown with TSA, but I did have that ten years ago while departing Zurich airport.

Posted by
1194 posts

My bras have 3-4 hooks for a wide support band. This seems to trigger the detector.
Bras for smaller chests only have 2 hook closures.

Itā€™s still worth the hassle of a pat down though. Iā€™d rather spend 5 extra minutes in security than spend hours on travel without good support.

Posted by
1056 posts

Not a reply specifically in regard to how many bras to pack, but rather, to expediting drying after sink washing. A great tip given to me by my brother-in-law (who, of course didnā€™t wear brasšŸ˜œ) ā€” if your hotel is one of those picturesque hotels with old wooden wardrobes in lieu of closets, hang your clothes in the wardrobe to dry. The wood, being old and dry, will soak up the remaining water really fast and your clothes will be dry in no time. Iā€™ve tried it and it works great!

Posted by
19 posts

Interesting tip, Patricia!

I wore one bra and took one on our recent BOE 14 day tour, which wasn't really enough. Italy was warm and I sweat easily. I made the mistake one night of washing both of my padded underwire bras in the sink. Despite rolling them in a towel first, they did not dry completely overnight. I was in a panic the next morning wondering what to do. I was afraid the dampness would show through my moisture wicking shirts. Since it only takes him five minutes to get ready, my husband saved the day by using the hotel hairdryer to finishing drying one thoroughly while I showered and put on my makeup. Next time I'll take three bras!

The ExOfficio panties I took (five pairs) worked out great. I hung them up on some folding plastic clothes hangars I bought from Amazon (which I prefer to a travel clothesline). They were usually dry in about an hour.

Posted by
1 posts

I wear one and bring one. It helps me prevent weight creep. My bras are easy to hand wash and easily dry overnight, so YMMV if you have heavier fabrics.

Posted by
34 posts

I literally only own 3 bras - one nude, one black, and one fun. So I wear one and bring one when I travel.

Also, my best advice on packing light is to wear a lot of dresses. Summer dresses, especially, can be squished up into the size of a softball. They are an all-in-one outfit and, since they fit more loosely than pants, they tend to not get stinky as quickly. We are going to Italy for 2 weeks (leaving in two days!) and I think I'm going to be bringing maybe 1 pair of pants. I got some bikeshort-type underwear to avoid thigh chafe from walking around in the heat in dresses.

Posted by
3595 posts

This discussion only underlines a friendā€™s common sense observation that, ā€œeveryone is different.ā€ If it makes you happy to reduce your bag weight a quarter of a pound by cutting down on the amount of underwear you bring on a trip and sink washing nightly, well, you go girl.

Posted by
1194 posts

If it makes you happy to reduce your bag weight a quarter of a pound by cutting down on the amount of underwear you bring on a trip and sink washing nightly, well, you go girl.

Actually, my calculations showed 3/4 of a pound.

People that want to take ā€œmoreā€ tend to greatly underestimate the weight.

Posted by
420 posts

For air travel I wear one without underwire for ease in getting through airport security, and comfort when sitting in the plane for many hours. Then keep that one just as a spare when my usual more comfortable underwired one is drying (though it always dries overnight).

Posted by
5581 posts

Anyone found a swim top, preferably tankini style that dries fast and doesn't take up a lot of room? I'm bustier so support is needed but the soft cups, layers, underwire, etc. take up so much room and its hard to justify bringing when you are not even sure it will get used, and they take so long to dry. On my next trip, we are staying at a place that has a pool and another a hot tub. The pool looks lovely, but it could be too cold to swim. I could bring an inexpensive work out tank and sports bra if I can't come up with something else. Sarah Murdoch suggests a bikini in Europe, but I'm in my mid 50s and have had four children. . .

Posted by
2732 posts

Jules, I bought a tankini at Target last year. It has a gauze-like layered top with slightly padded cups so it should dry fast. Choice of bottoms but my thighs needed the coverage of a short swim skirt. I didnā€™t go swimming in Hawaii so I didnā€™t wear it.

Posted by
1194 posts

I use a sports bra / rash guard combo. I can always use the rash guard as an extra shirt. The sports bra gets used as a bra.

Earlier in the thread I stated I use work to workout bras. So I just take one more of those (3 total) if Iā€™m swimming.

Posted by
34 posts

Wear one. Pack one. One nude. One black. This will cover all needs. Even for business travel around the world, this is what I've included and have rinsed them out each evening. I've never experienced an issue with it being dry in the morning.

Posted by
67 posts

I wear one bra and pack two Wacoal wireless soft cup bras (one to wash, one to spare). I also pack one of those lightweight stretchy pullover comfort bras to wear under my pjs if I'm sharing space with other people. It's not very supportive but it does prevent excessive flopping during morning coffee if I haven't dressed yet. Slip shorts are great too. I prefer the Vassarette brand over Jockeys. I take one black pair and one beige pair. One of my sisters finally convinced me to try a thong (Hanky Panky Retro Thong from Nordstrom). To my surprise it was not butt-floss. I'm still not totally convinced they will stand up to a day of tourist walking but I'm willing to take a pair for a test drive on my next trip. They are definitely lightweight and quick-dry. I just don't know if they're a good replacement for my tried-and-true Ex Officios.

Posted by
18 posts

Iā€™d rather have plenty of bras and panties so I wear one set on the plane and pack three bras and seven panties. I prefer to avoid doing laundry more than once every 5-6 days so I plan what to wear each day and when Iā€™m going to do laundry before leaving on the trip.

Posted by
7282 posts

2 bras can easily become 1 if an underwire breaks. Glad I brought more than 2!

Posted by
16261 posts

Or you could consider it a shopping opportunity.